The Mafia Discussion Thread

Great opening day in Mafia history (for a town). 

Just now, Jam said:

Apologies I completely misread the post and never realised we were at night! 

That is what I figured.  I'm frustrated because all my work systems keeps crashing but realized taking it out on people playing a mafia game was a dumb idea.

Do Tigerstyle and I get a medal for the unluckiest scum ever? 

Also, I wonder if both of us living in the UK counted against us? 

Oh well.

I'll hold off discussing this until after the game ends; it's only respectful to Azazel. However, saying we should be ashamed is a bit much. 

To get things to some lighter side of things,  I decided to have a read back on the first ever EWB Mafia. Boy, things are different! 

• Game starts at night
  • Everyone allowed to talk during the first night
  • The first ever post is a roleclaim
  • The second and third ever posts are a roleplay
  • Zan (The Mod) quickly points out they don't need to roleplay
  • Originally the first night was ONLY going to be a Mafia kill, but Zan decides mid-night phase to allow everyone to use their abilities.

All this in the first half a dozen replies! 

Here's the link: 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

I would’ve like to play the game longer for sure, it was an interesting mechanic, but town didn’t win by doing this - it’s a hollow victory and everyone should be ashamed.

How is it different than if they'd just picked those people randomly themselves?

51 minutes ago, DFF said:

I'll hold off discussing this until after the game ends; it's only respectful to Azazel. However, saying we should be ashamed is a bit much. 

To get things to some lighter side of things,  I decided to have a read back on the first ever EWB Mafia. Boy, things are different! 

• Game starts at night
  • Everyone allowed to talk during the first night
  • The first ever post is a roleclaim
  • The second and third ever posts are a roleplay
  • Zan (The Mod) quickly points out they don't need to roleplay
  • Originally the first night was ONLY going to be a Mafia kill, but Zan decides mid-night phase to allow everyone to use their abilities.

All this in the first half a dozen replies! 

Here's the link: 

Half my life I've been playing mafia!

Although at least I've got better over time having read that one back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jam said:

I've only got back into games recently - what was the reason for stopping talking during the night phase?

I can't remember exactly when it happened, but it's become a pretty standardised rule now (and has been for a little while). 

3 hours ago, Jam said:

I've only got back into games recently - what was the reason for stopping talking during the night phase?

In-character, it's because all the players are asleep. Conceptually, it's to allow night actions to be actioned without further discussion affecting players' choices. An in-person game of Mafia or Werewolves would involve all the players closing their eyes while the gamerunner narrates and asks players with night abilities to communicate with them silently.

Speaking of, I'd like to join the bottom of the waiting list with a game of Werewolves, if it's not too soon after my previous game.

• Like 2

Just now, Naitch said:

In-character, it's because all the players are asleep. Conceptually, it's to allow night actions to be actioned without further discussion affecting players' choices. An in-person game of Mafia or Werewolves would involve all the players closing their eyes while the gamerunner narrates and asks players with night abilities to communicate with them silently.

Speaking of, I'd like to join the bottom of the waiting list with a game of Werewolves, if it's not too soon after my previous game.

Me, Azazel, Ruki and others have run one off non-Mafia games in the Dome while Mafia games are on. 

Here is Azazel's Vote to Survive: http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/101471-vote-to-survive-gamethread/

Ruki ran Resistance: http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/100951-the-resistance-spies-vs-not-spies/

Here is a game I called Guns for Bid: http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/100589-guns-for-bid/

Here is a game I ran called The Campaign: http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/100355-the-campaign/

Here is a game of Dead Last I ran: http://www.ewbattleground.com/topic/98478-dead-last-the-game-of-murder/

I know TEOL has also run a few games as well, but I could not find them. 

Usually works with 8-10 people. 

Werewolves is just mafia with a specific theme, in my opinion. I'm happy to wait a while before I run it, especially as I'm still sitting out for now. Probably would've had to skip the next game too if Thing Mafia hadn't kept going.

• Like 1