The Mafia Discussion Thread

What is the 'director' role? Since it was mentioned in the Waiting List thread.

I'm trying to expand my knowledge of role types in order to get more ideas, you see.

It's a sort of individual-aligned mayor role. In Sousa's Duelists game RW had a long list of objectives to complete and a serious arsenal of abilities to try and get it done. The town and mafia could choose to deal with him or not. I used a similar role in When Reality TV Attacks - Josh's Jew Producer. It's had mixed success, I think. The important part seems to be preserving some normal game of town vs. mafia without making it a game centred around one player.

You know, I knew you would mention that when I made that post, and so now I say: HAH, point proven!

My shoddy town record is balanced by an awesome mafia record to create a nice average.

Note to self, always lynch stokerino first.

oldskool and stok should be lynched off the bat in every game. MEG too if he ever comes back. Probably C-MIL too.

The obvious problem with cherry-picking roles is exactly that: "Let's give this good role to a good player oh whoops they were targeted for the first night kill."

While alternatively, if you do it randomly and one side ends up with mostly muppets, that doesn't help the game either.

Eh. You can't really win. You just have to get lucky.

I personally think random generation is the way to go. It helps limit the metagaming opportunites and gives players opportunities to play roles they wouldn't normally get to play if there was cherry picking (I don't believe the 30 times in a row I got a doctor or miller role were random :shifty: ). Of course there are situations that may arise where one side is really bad or there is a role that would be better served on a more experienced player. But that's nothing really that can't be fixed by switching two players or just doing the random shuffle again.

The Arkham game I ran with a buddy elsewheres had DPS as catwoman in the mafia along with 3 other players that were considered to be the worst players on the site. DPS died turn one with his own kill being bussed on to him turn one by Inoki, but the rest of the players waltzed through the game. Total I think they got 3 votes between them for the rest of the game.

Everyone wanted to go after the big names. Thought it might get somewhere, and it didnt. The real bad guys just let them kill each other off with accusations and they cleaned up. No lurking, just better play then their betters.

Its one of the reasons I don't tolerate lurkers. Because lurkers are watching and letting others kill themselves. If they are town, they are only hurting themselves, if they are scum, they win by letting town do their job for them.

Just for reference, how long does it usually take for someone to get from the bottom of the game waiting list to the top?

I'm working on a game for another site that I'm excited about, and if all goes well I'd like to run it here to. I just don't want it to happen before I can run it elsewhere and fix the bugs.

On a related note, this is my first game, and so I want to avoid having it be a complete and total flop. I've had Josh help me some, and probably still will, but if there is someone else with experience who is willing to look stuff over for me and offer suggestions, I'd appreciate it. So long as you don't mind sitting the game out when/if I run it here. Wrestling knowledge preferred, but not necessary :rolleyes:

Edited by bill_da_bill