The Mafia Discussion Thread

How has any rule that allows the town to lynch scum with half the recquired votes become commonplace? It's fundamentally flawed.

You seem to be under the impression that a lynch happened only due to reaching half the amount of votes.

What really happened was no one talked for a week and then some votes slapped on you which ended in you dying.

Given that the alternative was that a random townie would die instead as a way to pressure talking to take place, one would think sunset lynches would be the preferance.

You didnt die to a lynch Pesci, you died to a deadline. Thats about it. Given Stoks having the same issue in his game, you can't blame me for setting up rules WELL in advance and then enforcing them. Its not like post one of the game didnt set a concrete deadline. I did, people read it, and no one did anything.

I replaced 2 players before game started and one during game play, so its not like you can blame me as a mod either for not giving the game the amount of players needed to play. I would like to hear your suggestions for what to do in that kind of situation. Past "nothing", because I am unlikely to reward lazy players with lazy moderation.

keep in mind Im not really harshing on you pesci. Like I said, I would rather youd play in my games then not. Running Man mafia was a good example of that.

Im actually interested in hearing a general opinion on the matter, because all I could think of was "reward the few that are still playing, punish them if they still cant decide."

Guest mr. potato head

Assuming the goal is to get the town to discuss things and come to a lynch, random townie lynch threat is much better. If the town knows they're losing one of their own, they'll keep looking for worthy targets and (at least in theory) not give up until the deadline. Sunset, on the other hand, allows people to be lazy and keep their vote where it is, because the guy with the most votes will get lynched regardless, and could be not town. It's rewarding people for not being able to convince the town that somebody's a valid lynch target.

• Like 1

Hrm. I see your point. I would counter that with a) its not the guy with the most votes dies, he still has to clear a minimum amount, and b) clearly its the person with the most votes who has the most to lose and should be jumpstarting talking on his own to save his ass.

Im really more into the sunset vote, atm, but Ive not used it at all until this game. I see the merit in it, Ive done random town lynches until now and its meh. I see little incentive to play at ALL in it, as opposed to seeing in the current game Im running where Pesci lead the vote and other players at least voted away from him in an effort to create a second lynch. Random lynches require no votes, sunset requires at least minimal effort.

Still, the way you worded it was pretty strong MPH.

• Admin

I've said this before, but the lynch phase is the town's primary weapon for removing for scum.

If they can't be bothered to use it, the scum should never be punished as a result - think of the inverse - if the scum don't send in a nightkill, do you just kill a townie of your own accord to compensate?

If lynch majority can't be reached, there should either No Lynch, or modkill of a townie. I prefer the latter these days to stimulate some activity and hopefully jar some people into action.

• Like 1

I've said this before, but the lynch phase is the town's primary weapon for removing for scum.

If they can't be bothered to use it, the scum should never be punished as a result - think of the inverse - if the scum don't send in a nightkill, do you just kill a townie of your own accord to compensate?

Once. >_>

How has any rule that allows the town to lynch scum with half the recquired votes become commonplace? It's fundamentally flawed.

You seem to be under the impression that a lynch happened only due to reaching half the amount of votes.

What really happened was no one talked for a week and then some votes slapped on you which ended in you dying.

No, I understand that completely. I know it was because of the deadline. But say there's an eight vote requirement and the town do nothing for like three weeks except slap down four votes on a scum-aligned player - should they be rewarded with the lynch of said scum-aligned player? Like I said, it's fundamentally flawed.

Given that the alternative was that a random townie would die instead as a way to pressure talking to take place, one would think sunset lynches would be the preferance.

Preferable for the town, sure. Like RW said, and I've been saying for years, and has always been the central game mechanic behind Mafia - the day period is the town's primary weapon. In the most basic form of the game the town try to weed the scum out during the day time while the scum try to go unnoticed and push their own agenda, and at night time the scum continue their plot to take over the town by killing another townie. The lynch is the town's way of getting rid of scum and if they don't reach a lynch they should be punished. That's why in the spirit of the game a random townie death makes more sense when you're trying to push things along. The town's opinion on who should die shouldn't matter if they can't even reach the requirement, player abilities that alter that notwithstanding.

You didnt die to a lynch Pesci, you died to a deadline. Thats about it. Given Stoks having the same issue in his game, you can't blame me for setting up rules WELL in advance and then enforcing them. Its not like post one of the game didnt set a concrete deadline. I did, people read it, and no one did anything.

I know that, and I don't blame you - I blame the way the rule's become commonplace. To me it just makes absolutely no sense and I didn't like checking in to see that I'd died because of a rule that shouldn't even be there. I definitely appreciate that you needed to do something to combat the apathy that's taken over games in the past few months - the only reason I've never ran a game in over 5 years playing here is because I'm scared people will stop playing and I couldn't handle it being anything less than perfect :blush:

I replaced 2 players before game started and one during game play, so its not like you can blame me as a mod either for not giving the game the amount of players needed to play. I would like to hear your suggestions for what to do in that kind of situation. Past "nothing", because I am unlikely to reward lazy players with lazy moderation.

Again, random townie death would be my suggestion, but even that doesn't seem to be working. People don't want to play Mafia these days it seems. I definitely think said random townie death would be a bigger kick up the ass than "hey, if worst comes to worst you only need to get half the votes to lynch the guy you want gone", though.

Edited by Pesci

yeah, both you and RW make a good points too.

Ive never used the sunset rule, (hell never SEEN it til here) so I thought I would try it as a way to encourage at least minimal posting.

As is, I've already stated it in this game so it stands for now. Im not killing pesci then letting everyone else off the hook. But in future games I will return to random town death as Ive usually done.

Oddly, Ive never had that much of a problem with lurking in my games til here, so its not really a rule Ive had to enforce much.

I'd like to take a moment during this bout of uncharacteristic uptime to say "Fuck this board and it's shitty inconsistent new servers".

Thank you, you may resume your regularilly scheduled downtime.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tell you what, if I get killed tonight, lynch Ego. If I don't, we'll talk about it.

Am I really the only one who finds posts like this so irksome? It's stuff like this that makes me want to ban talking at night in my games.