The Mafia Discussion Thread

And then what? We don't give the newbies a chance at all, because we just keep signing up for the latest Sousa/RW/TEOL/Norro/C-Mil game?

The waiting list makes it fairer for all. Shortening the amount of games at once, makes it less time-consuming to play, and people can focus a little more on the games they are in.

I'd agree, but the very fact you put my name in that list should tell you which side of the debate I'm on.

P.S. If you're waiting for the next Sousa game, you're going to be waiting for a while. <_<

Well we probably would, I just don't see why it needs to be regulated. The ones people want to play would survive.

I'm sure this was brought up when we originally introduced it and we decided it was unfair and would end up leading to being elitist.... Not sure I overly agree with that because I think EWB would still sign up to a good themed game from a newbie but I can understand the idea that someone could be a really good game runner but just because they're not Norro or they're not running the latest You Pick Mafia, people might not be inclined to sign up for it.

I'm not overly arsed either way, I'm just being a cunt devil's advocate.

Guest mr. potato head

Well if the competition's definitely dead...

Welcome to Simpsons Mafia: The Prequel!

You are Number One, Stonecutters-Aligned Leader, President, Poobah, Imir, And So Forth!

Since the dawn of time, the best and brightest of man have belonged to an exclusive brotherhood known as the Stonecutters.

You've been selected to bring that brotherhood to Springfield. The problem is, you don't know where to start - it's not like you can just walk up to someone on the street and say 'hey, wanna be a Stonecutter?'. Since this is Springfield, you'd probably get a fist or brick to the face, but more importantly, there are only two ways to become a Stonecutter - safe the life of a Stonecutter, or be the son of a Stonecutter. And you don't have any kids.

But that's not going to stop you. If somebody tries to save your life - either by protecting you at night or by diverting a lynch from you onto somebody else - they will be recruited to the Stonecutters as soon as that action happens, and become Number Two. If somebody does that again to either you or Number Two, they become Number Three. And so on. As an added bonus, if any of your recruits have children who are also in the game, the children will be recruited as well.

Anybody you recruit will lose any abilities they may have had, however, by recruiting them you will gain abilities according to the following schedule:

Number Two - You are immune to all nightkills and lynches.

Number Three - You can roleblock one player per night.

Number Four - You will appear as The Capitol City Goofball, Springfield-Aligned Mascot Turned Politician in all investigation attempts.

Number Five - You can kill one player per night.

Recruits past Number Five will not gain any additional abilities for you or themselves. However, should Number Two die, Number Three will move up to Number Two, Number Four to Number Three, and so on.

Additionally, your Stonecutter superiors have informed you that the Chosen One is believed to be somewhere in Springfield. Each night, you may PM me with the name of a player you suspect to be the Chosen One. Should you be correct, further instructions will follow.

You win when the majority of players are Stonecutter-Aligned.

-----------------------

NOTES:

-This is a big game, approx. 30 players.

-Players are recruited in two ways: Any of the doctor/bodyguard/jailer can target Number One at night, or, if Number One is leading in lynch votes, and somebody else overtakes him, the person who cast the overtaking vote is recruited.

-There are only two parent/child relationships in the game: Rabbi Krustofsky/Krusty the Klown and Chief Wiggum/Ralph Wiggum.

-Grandpa Simpson is in the game and can be recruited (through the lynch mechanism), but his son will not follow as Homer doesn't listen to Abe.

-The Chosen One is Homer Simpson. If Number One successfully recruits Homer, he and any of his children who may still be alive instantly become Stonecutters (possibly enough of a balance to win the game right then and there). However, Homer is such an incompetent leader that the Stonecutters instantly lose all of Number One's gained abilities, and lose one member per night (starting with Number One and working forward in order) as long as Homer remains alive.

I have no idea if this would have worked. :shifty:

Well we probably would, I just don't see why it needs to be regulated. The ones people want to play would survive.

I'm sure this was brought up when we originally introduced it and we decided it was unfair and would end up leading to being elitist.... Not sure I overly agree with that because I think EWB would still sign up to a good themed game from a newbie but I can understand the idea that someone could be a really good game runner but just because they're not Norro or they're not running the latest You Pick Mafia, people might not be inclined to sign up for it.

I'm not overly arsed either way, I'm just being a cunt devil's advocate.

I personally don't care who runs the game, I just like playing mafia. It needs to stay regulated though, to prevent clogging. 4 games at once is fine, it gives everyone a fair chance to play at least 1 game all the time.

I wish I was indy more, I think I've only been SK once and I won. I've had a couple of survivor roles I think and a cult or 2, but I can only recall You Pick 2(3?) where I was SK.

One of the better performances I've seen. You played subtle and quiet, and weren't targeted as a lurker. Why? Because you didn't lurk. You didn't just drop off the face of the earth only to show up when you're called out.

You and Maxx were really the stars of that game, and it's a shame neither of you won. Maxx whacking the bomb and the survivor scum taking you out in the same night was pretty epic.

I really liked your grave yard cultist role. I'll probably tweak it and work it into a future game somehow.

I've been indy several times.

Harmony in the Buffy game (where I was a survivor beneficial to the town, got lynched when I came out.), A Indy Protector that sent "I'm scum gossip!" if I targeted a girl in Highschool Mafia (got lynched when I came out.), was The President in a movie game where I was pretty much handed up on a silver platter, was Wario, and Sarkosy(sp?) both tiny percentage serial killers.

If I ever get the chance to be a straight-up vig, or straight sk I'd take it with open arms and kill with reckless abandon. I'd be the worst vigilante since Hugar, but boy would it be fun.

If I ever get the chance to be a straight-up vig, or straight sk I'd take it with open arms and kill with reckless abandon. I'd be the worst vigilante since Hugar, but boy would it be fun.

Vig is my favourite role simply because I can act on my mostly stupid hunches/get rid of dead weight without having to talk anybody into lynches. I would like being an SK more but the two chances I've had I got investigated ridiculously early.

Sk is a very hard role to play actually. A one man mafia that can be investigated and killed by two opposing factions that vastly outnumber him.

Worse yet, even if you get town and mafia down to one each youve created your own "prisoners dilemma' and thats not something an SK usually wins.