If you could make one band instantly popular

RPS

If you could take one band and instantly make them popular, give them huge levels of radio play, great sales, huge shows, a shit load of press attention, which band would you give it to? We are talking about U2/Green Day type fame here.

I'd personally give it to Anti-Flag. They've been busting their ass for a long time and definitely have written some great albums. They are pretty kick ass guys and actually come across as really intelligent and humble people. They aren't the type of band who'd be willingly to totally drop their beliefs, or become the flavor of the month style and sound.

Edguy. No explaination needed.

They're the eppitome of awesomeness, and like you said, they'd be very unlikely to "sell out" in the "become manufactured crap" sense. I've been pimping them out on EWB for at least a year now, because I love them so fucking much. Especially Tobias Sammet (their lead singer, who also has other projects on the go. New Avantasia album this year folks, featuring Eric Singer on drums!)

Edited by Farmer Reil

Protest The Hero

I absolutely love Kezia and they're outstanding live. Plus, they're not just run of the mill crap.

Not to mention that they're lyrics are absolutely shit house mental.

Edited by Turbonegro

Bearsuit.

No real reason...other than that I can't think of anything like them that has ever been popular, they're awesome, and just seem so instantly likable. I've never met anyone who's heard them that hasn't thought they were great, even if just as a vaguely comical aside to their own usual music tastes.

Wah. I think I'm smart by supporting a small indie band and never want them to become big and successful purely for selfish and ego-based reasons.

In all seriousness I'd give it to Sigur Ros. Yes, they're big amongst "those who know" and the hugest thing to come out of Iceland musically since Bjork. They've also got albums that sell well, but I would love them to be HUGE in England, selling out and packing the new Wembley, their music used for everything (not just Planet Earth adverts) and generally regarded as a huge group.

And like Pete said about Anti-Flag, Sigur Ros seem like a great bunch of nice hard-working and interesting folk.

Couldn't wish more on 'em.

8 Foot Sativa!

Okay I'm a pretty big mark for them, but they are amazingly skilled and entertaining. They are also very nice people who'll always stop for a chat. Even being the biggest metal band in the New Zealand scene, most of them still have full-time jobs to be able to financially support themselves. Hell there 4th album has been 7 months delayed now because they are trying to raise the money for the person mastering the album. I just think they really deserve it, after giving so much to their fans.

Edited by Steaming Pile Of Shit

Three Days Grace... but only if they kept their current state of mind and didn't let the fame go to their heads.

They have a platinum and a gold record. I don't know how much more you want. :D

I'd give it to A.C. Newman, if only for the reason that he'd carry all the NP members with him and finally make a second album.

Kinda hard for me to choose. All my favorite bands are mainstream and (for the most part) globally well known.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd choose Great Big Sea. They're extremely popular in NL, and semi-popular in Canada, but It'd be nice to see them world-wide popular. They're great musicians.

Reuben. I don't think I've heard a single bad song of theirs, they're fucking ace live, really entertaining. Nice guys too, from what I can tell, and they work really hard. They're one of the few "emo" bands I've managed to get one of my housemates into (I know Reuben aren't emo, but according to my housemate, everything I listen to is emo).

Or Death Cab For Cutie. They need to be bigger over here.