The 2007 Major League Baseball Thread

Vendetta

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just been talked about, I know ESPN Radio covered it and asked how significant it would be with fan backlash and such, but realistically, it effect a small percentage of people and since DirectTV would be paying MLB a set amount of cash, I'll assume they won't be losing any cash from it, but I don't know how far in negotations they are.

I really wished that the Jays would go out and pick up a second baseman or shortstop and a starting pitcher or 2. I feel like they really dropped the ball in the off-season. They have a terrible middle infield, everyone can run on Zaun, they have a good out field and talent at the corners, but outside of Wells, Glaus, Rios(if he stays healthy) and Thomas they really lack decent hitting power.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Aaron Hill's a solid middle infielder, the problem is that Clayon/MacDonald/Smith isn't anywhere close to a major league-calibre partner for him.

And as for the rotation...aside from Hallady, Burnet, and MAYBE Chacin, JP's using the "throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what sticks" method...Thomson, Ohka, Marcum, and all the young guys.

I don't know why everyone has given up on Josh Towers so absolutely. He had a horrifying year in 2006, granted. But in each of his other years with Toronto he's been a solid starter, and I can't imagine he's just been sitting back this offseason. I'll at least stay hopeful that a fire was lit under his ass in 2006 and he'll come back with a vengeance in 2007. A LOT of ifs for the Jays in 07, and I happen to think he's one of the biggest.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't see Towers as ever being more than an average MLB back-of-the-rotation guy...if anything, the biggest if on the Jays for me this year is Rios...he had a hot start last year, but wasn't that great after his injury, and we're counting on him for a lot.

Guest bregnahd

My predictions:

AL East: Boston Red Sox (96-66)

AL Central: Detroit Tigers (99-63)

AL West: Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem (92-70)

Wildcard: New York Yankees (94-68)

Surprise Team: Cleveland Indians (92-72)

Disappointment: Chicago White Sox (80-82)

AL MVP: David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox (.301, 59 HR, 157 RBI)

AL Cy Young: Chien-Ming Wang, New York Yankees (19-4, 3.01 ERA)

AL Rookie-of-the-Year: Daisuke Matsuzaka, Boston Red Sox (15-3, 3.45 ERA)

The Big Trade Name: Johan Santana, Minnesota Twins

NL East: New York Mets (85-77)

NL Central: St. Louis Cardinals (88-74)

NL West: San Diego Padres (92-70)

Wildcard: Chicago Cubs (87-73)

Surprise Team: Arizona Diamondbacks (82-80)

Disappointment: Los Angeles Dodgers (73-89)

NL MVP: Alfonso Soriano, Chicago Cubs (.313, 49 HR, 121 RBI)

NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy, San Diego Padres (21-5, 3.00 ERA)

NL Rookie-of-the-Year: Kevin Kouzmanoff, San Diego Padres (.321, 14 HR)

The Big Trade Name: Dontrelle Willis, Florida Marlins

Playoff Predictions:

New York Yankees def. Detroit Tigers (3-1)

Boston Red Sox def. Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem (3-0)

Chicago Cubs def. San Diego Padres (3-2)

St. Louis Cardinals def. New York Mets (3-1)

Boston Red Sox def. New York Yankees (4-3)

Chicago Cubs def. St. Louis Cardinals (4-1)

Boston Red Sox def. Chicago Cubs (4-3)

Yeah, so call me a homer, but I think Red Sox-Cubs is respectable. Could go either way in the ALCS and World Series.

Edited by bregnahd

Guest bregnahd

I think that the Red Sox adding Clemens would be much better for the team then it would be the Yankees. A rotation of Schilling, Clemens, Matsuzaka, Beckett, and Wakefield would allow Papelbon and Lester to move their talents to the bullpen and create the best staff in the Majors.

I gotta say that it should be a good year for baseball in the AL Central this year. Everyone is wondering if the Tigers can repeat what they did last year or have some of thier younger pitchers go into slumps. The White Sox should be up there too, they got some veterns and should be in contention in the 2nd half. I am really looking forward seeing the Indians play this season, I think last year one area of the team really blew things for the rest of the team and that was the bullpen. Without the bullpen the Tribe has one of the top line up in the league espesially if some of the guys come out of thier slumps last year(Peralta and Vic Martinez) and along with that the rotation is only getting better with all the young guys they have right now and ones that are coming up. Since they somewhat were able to adress the bullpen, altough some of the guys they have are question marks because of age or injury history, hopefully they can return to the form they were at 2 seasons ago. Along with that I know alot of people know who Grady Sizemore is but I dont really think that people realize how good this kid could be last year he became only the secound player to hit 50 doubles, 10 triples, 20 homer runs, and 20 stolen bases and he is only 23 and will only be playing his 3rd full season. Needless to say I glad spring training is already here and cant wait for the real season to start.

Guest bregnahd

I could see the Indians finally putting it together this year. How much money do they have to spend anyway? I could see them using some of those young players to trade for a Willis-like pitcher at the deadline. That would put them into contending for the division, or at least a Wildcard.

The owner of the Indians is sorta tight pocketed but it works well too since they dont have alot of bad deals on the payroll and since there isnt a salary cap in baseball they dont have a specific amount to spend but they would spend much in the offseasons anyway. On the subject of trading thier younger guys for Willis type player I highly doubt that would happen. For one they value thier youngier guys alot and I would be suprised to see them trade them unless they were able to get a proven high quality player, not that Willis is that but it would likely take to much to get him here. Along with that they are pretty set with the rotation as I said, they might not have a clear #1 but they got consistency through the rotation in CC, Cliff Lee, Westbrook, and sometimes Byrd and if Sowers doesnt slump this year the rotation will look really good. Anyways I would rather see them get a proven closer that wouldnt take so much to get then a superstar pitcher.

Guest bregnahd

I almost think that getting a proven closer is harder then getting a young pitcher these days, just ask the Red Sox. Closers have lost consistency, and it shows with guys like Brad Lidge and Keith Foulke. I think it may lead to more conversions from starter to closer.

Edited by bregnahd

No. At least not right now, Atlanta has been a very good town for the Braves, but if any team were to move the #1 city on the list is Las Vegas but that is like 1000000x what no one wants to do right now. Mainly because of gambling, and it being baseballs #1 rule. But that is where the Marlins talked about a potential move if they did not get a new stadium in Miami. But with the stadium in Atlanta only opening in 1996 and the support there is no reason to move.

I'm not sure where the locations of the main LMC offices are, but a note of interest... They not also are about to get the Braves, but also control of DirectTV. While that may not mean too much now, but MLB are negotiating with having its "Extra Innings" package exclusive through DirectTV in the future. So LMC will not only own a premiere baseball team, but also exclusive rights to the MLB's Season Package. So they SHOULD have a vested interest in building the Braves back.