Games you've counted down the months until...

So I'm sure we've all eagerly awaited at least one game's release in our life, and followed it's progress closely.

Tell your tale to us all. We're all friends here.

Hello, I'm Luke and I couldn't wait for....

Metal Gear Solid 2.

After playing MGS (and waiting long enough for that!) I eagerly awaited 2. Worse, it was on the PS2 so the wait was longer but I remember hearing about the release two years before the game was actually released. I literally counted down the months for it, and like MGS1 I bought it on the very first day. Unlike some people, I WAS NOT disappointed.

MGS3 was a little different. I was looking forwards to it but wasn't following the 'gaming scene' so closely anymore. Still, I went into Woolworths on a whim and there it was, first day of release so got it.

Therefore I've bought MGS 1, 2 and 3 each on their first day of release in the UK. In fact, for MGS1 I was waiting for Woolworths to open (along with half a dozen others) before rushing in, buying it and hurrying (late) to school.

Gran Turismo.

Just couldn't wait for this one. Counted the months, pre-ordered it through the post so it got to me the morning of it's release. Unfortunately I was studying for A Levels (Or GCSEs can't remember which) at the time and was banned from playing it until I'd finished. Curses.

Theme Park.

This really caught my attention. I love weirder games and at that tim I had no real personal income. For months and months I waited for it, then longed desperately to play it, talking about it with a mate at school. I got it for Christmas and played it to death for months. Amiga for ever!

Way Of The Samurai 2.

Dunno why really. Just loved the idea of being a Samurai and righting wrongs, getting new blades and the like. I checked up in shops numerous times too early and eventually, on the morning of my legal marriage ceremony (I got legally married on the Firday in Birmingham Registry Office and then had a blessing on the Saturday along with my REAL wedding service/reception as far as we saw it) as I got into town an hour or so early with my folks I popped into Game. It was there so I bought it, then went to the civil ceremony. Fun fun.

Pokemon Gold & Silver

"Ah, the days of my youth, like the scent of fresh lemon," you see. (Fifty points to whoever gets the reference.)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

And it was worth every penny.

Guitar Hero II

Though I couldn't actually buy it until a couple of months after its release.

Mortal Kombat II - SNES

Don't think there was ever a game I was more excited to get my hands on as a kid. Plus, Nintendo stopped being pussies! I would spend hours upon hours playing that game, so much fun.

Killer Instinct - SNES

I remember it came out my first day of sixth grade and I would call around to all the local retailers months in advance trying to find that one store that would get it even slightly earlier. I loved old school fighting games.

Twisted Metal Black - PS2

The reason I bought a PS2. I'm a huge fan of the TM Franchise and after the bungling of 3 and 4, I couldn't wait for the new game with the original developers at the helm. Honestly, it's one of the last times I remember buying a game and it exceeded every single expectation I had. Haven't had that much fun in a long time as I did going through TMB with every character.

And pretty much every decent wrestling game of the last ten years.

The year, 1997. I was a mere 5 year old at the time and was in love with the SNES. My brother received another game for us to play. The game: Mortal Kombat 3. I became a fan instantly. I quickly rented Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. When I started playing the PSX, I started playing Mortal Kombat 4 and Trilogy (also played Mythologies and Forces, but nothing to brag about there).

Mid 2002, I was 10, at the time a hardcore MK fan, I knew the story, I knew the characters and I was waiting patiently for another game. That's when I saw the trailer online of: Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. I was so excited I nearly shit my pants. I waited month, after month...then it arrived! I loved it. It rekindled my love for MK.

Early/Mid 2004, at this time I already read up on all the MK background history. While browsing GameSpot, I saw the preview for: Mortal Kombat: Deception. I waited month after month, I loved it!

Early/Mid 2005: Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

And finally, Armageddon. Except I was anticipating this one for a year before it's release, it drove me mad.

And it's nice that Deadly Alliance, Deception, Shaolin Monks, and Armageddon all lived up to my expectations.

Edit: My Post F'ed Up.

Edited by Rashid

WWF Attitude was one that I really badly wanted, and I waited months and months for it. It was great when I actually got it, though.

The only other game I have really counted down the days for was NHL 07, because of the way they implemented the Skill Stick and stuff.

Guest Anti-Hero

No Mercy, every new Smackdown game (starting with HCTP), GTA: San Andreas, The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker... that's all I can remember at the moment.

In most cases, I haven't been disappointed (except the first Smackdown vs Raw, that was ordinary).

Myth II: Soulblighter

The first game captured my imagination in a way that no game has in the years since. Just one of those awesome, once in a lifetime games. Myth II's storyline wasn't nearly as good, but I got involved in the modding community for about two years and that alone was worth the wait.

Football Manager 2007

Because I lost my copy of Football Manager 2006...

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda:Wind Waker, The Sims 2, and Perfect Dark.

"Ah, the days of my youth, like the scent of fresh lemon," you see. (Fifty points to whoever gets the reference.)

The fat lawyer in the brown suit from Phoenix Wright. Marvin Grossberg. Points please. : D

Points awarded. Someday you may be able to use them for something, but hey.

Also, Phoenix Wright is awesome and people should play it. That's essentially the point of this post, yes.

Most recently

Final Fantsay XII: Still awaiting, only 22 days to go.

Kingdom Hearts II: I liked the first one, so I decided that the second would be alright. After months of reading hype about it, I was psyched for it, and beat it in two days on Normal difficulty. Of Course, I wasn't disappointed by the Storyline or anything like that, but the difficulty was just bad...

F.E.A.R.: 50 or so days to go before the console release.

Black: Severely let down. I still play it every now and then though.

Burnout Revenge: Also let down, I preferred Takedown much more, and the inability to play Single player without going World Tour pissed me off.

I think that's it for now.

I'll just skim through some of them.

Sonic 3 (Sega Mega Drive, April 1994)

Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Mega Drive, November 1994)

Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Final Fantasy X (PS2)

Final Fantasy XII (PS2 - almost here!)

Various Championship Manager games (PC)

Civilization III (PC)

Hearts of Iron II (PC)

Disgaea 2 (PS2)

Guitar Hero II (PS2)