What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00005JN7O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow - 7/10

The movie is kind of a mix of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but more importantly it acts as a proper tribute to both those movies instead of failing to live up to the hype. Jude Law is terrific in his role, although it could be argued that Gwyneth Paltrow really stars (and does quite well herself). I really enjoyed the style of animation employed, and supppose the film was made for a fraction of the costs of making a live action version. The movie cost 70 million to make (salaries included), and looks like a 200 million dollar film. The plot isn't anything new, but it's clear that this type of filmmaking is ideal in producing imaginative visions at a fraction of the cost. Hopefully the studio gets their way, and we get a series of films, because this really feels like an Indiana Jones for the 21st century. Thumbs up.

B00005JN1O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Without A Paddle - 5/10

I actually saw this film a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I'd pass along my thoughts now. While Dax Shepard and Matthew Lillard are both entertaining on screen, but it's become abundantly clear to me that Seth Green has stopped bringing anything new to his performances. This is mostly overdone stuff that seems to find its way into every teen marketed comedy. There are plenty of decent laughs, but most of all this is a comedy that manages to stay afloat for 95 minutes without really impressing. Thumbs down.

Hoping to get to see Wicker Park tonight, but who knows really.

B00005JN19.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wicker Park - 4/10

Such a tacky film need not involve such talents as Rose Byrne and Jessica Pare, but sadly it does. Matthew Lillard is proving to be surprisingly proficient as he gets a little older (this is really proving to be a big year for him) but there is little to be said for Hartnett and Kruger. There are tons of really mixed messages being sent in this film, and I think the director attempts to barrage the viewer with style in an attempt to make them overlook a general lack of plot development. This is like Secret Window in the sense that it's essentially a one performance movie; namely the performance of Rose Byrne as Alex. Other then that, there's little to be admired about the film. Thumbs down.

Ocean's Eleven - 8.5/10

Fun and enjoyable movie that has comedy, drama, action, and intelligence all mixed in to one good movie. I personally can't wait for Ocean's Twelve when it comes out later this year.

Edited by J-Dubb

Wicker Park - 4/10

Such a tacky film need not involve such talents as Rose Byrne and Jessica Pare, but sadly it does. Matthew Lillard is proving to be surprisingly proficient as he gets a little older (this is really proving to be a big year for him) but there is little to be said for Hartnett and Kruger. There are tons of really mixed messages being sent in this film, and I think the director attempts to barrage the viewer with style in an attempt to make them overlook a general lack of plot development. This is like Secret Window in the sense that it's essentially a one performance movie; namely the performance of Rose Byrne as Alex. Other then that, there's little to be admired about the film. Thumbs down.

Wicker Park - 4/10

By the way, were you dead on with the ending?

B00012QLB4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Matchstick Men - 7.5/10 or (***) It's pretty good plot and humor-wise and floats well thanks to the chemistry of Cage and Lohman, which is mighty similar to the relationship of Natalie Portman and Jean Reno in The Professional. Like that movie, this is also a great watch.

The Girl Next Door - 9/10

I fucking love this movie. Elisha Cuthbert is fuckin' sexy as hell ( :blush: ), and Chris Marquette is the bomb as Eli. His own feature on the opposite side of the disc, where he & Luther Reigns go to the Adult Film Convention or whatever = Comedy Gold.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

:lol:. I'm buying this movie when I pick it up. Funny as hell, and like millions of other guys, I'm now in love with Elisha Cuthbert.

Oh, and I mark hardcore for Luther Reigns now. :P

Edited by Tristy