What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I finally watched The Death Of Stalin. It was brilliant.

Very darkly funny (a couple of lines in particular had me in hysterics), and superbly cast. Simon Russell Beale is just revolting and detestable as Beria, Buscemi as Khruschev is inspired casting, Palin as Molotov just plays to his strengths perfectly, and Jason Isaacs Zhukov is absolutely brilliant.

One of the best films I've seen in a long, long time.

Cockney Stalin.

That's one for CIWW I think.

• Like 1

As good as Cockney Stalin is, the highlight for me in terms of the incongruous accents was either Zhukov or Paul Whitehouse as Mikoyan, after Beria's death, grumbling, "I'm knackered, it's been a right busy week".

• Like 1

Just now, Skummy said:

As good as Cockney Stalin is, the highlight for me in terms of the incongruous accents was either Zhukov or Paul Whitehouse as Mikoyan, after Beria's death, grumbling, "I'm knackered, it's been a right busy week".

To be fair Yorkshire Zhukov was by far the best thing I've seen in a film for a long, long time. I read a little interview with Armando Iannucci and he said that reviewers in Russia liked that they didn't put on bad Russian accents and instead just went with their natural ones.

I might have to watch it again.

Decided to watch another movie I've been meaning to get round to since it came out, The Limehouse Golem.

Absolutely loved it. Wonderfully shot and directed, brilliant atmosphere. Some bits were a tad gimmicky, but mostly excellent, and Bill Nighy is fantastic. A story very much in my area of interest, though, so may be biased in that regard.

• Like 1

My criticism may be unfair. I loved it early on, then it went in a direction I didn’t necessarily want it to. There’s also a running mental illness theme and I’m not settled on whether it was handled well.

All of the Rock's movie ideas seem to have been come out of a Who's Line is it Anyway? game.

"What if it's the Rock as..."

pulls a piece of paper out of a hat

"A firefighter! And..."

pulls another piece of paper out of the hat

"An earthquake! Ready? 1, 2, go!"

45 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

All of the Rock's movie ideas seem to have been come out of a Who's Line is it Anyway? game.

"What if it's the Rock as..."

pulls a piece of paper out of a hat

"A firefighter! And..."

pulls another piece of paper out of the hat

"An earthquake! Ready? 1, 2, go!"

Rock threw some shade on twitter today when someone told him all his movies have the same plot.