What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 1 was better than I expected...well, about half of it was. The half that was more geared towards RAR RAR REVOLUTION, rather than the half about Katniss and Peeta. That part sucked balls.

Watched About Schmidt which was interesting and endearing.

Then needed some light stuff for the rest of the week so saw Emperor's New Groove, Mulan, Muppets From Space and March of the Penguins. None were amazing, but to be honest I watched them in something of a haze.

Currently watching Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen which is pretty amusing for a standard Disney teen comedy affair.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Whenever there are films featuring children completely naive of terrible things, like this, I find myself feeling really angry at the naive child. I don't know if that's a strange reaction or not.

Like here, the boy who simply doesn't understand annoys me a lot more than his older, uber-indoctrinated sister. It was sort of similar to how I felt to Christian Bale at the start of Empire of the Sun (although he was more just a spoilt brat). Naivety just angers me, apparently.

Then of course about 20 minutes before the end it becomes obvious what's going to happen and you just have to sit through the grim inevitability of it all.

So yeah, not a film I'd fancy watching again.

I drifted out of Network (1976) after the first hour or so...but at least I now understand the context of I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE.

Ender's Game (2013) was a huge pile of meh, although I was briefly more interested when Ben Kingsley showed up.

Rango (2011) was odd. I think I liked it. In fact it might have been better if it had stayed more odd and hadn't settled so comfortably into the Western pastiche.

Currently two thirds through Death Wish (I'm doing a film a decade from the 1940s to 2010s) and it is just terrible.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Charles Bronson film before but I think I'd remember it because he is just awful. He shows about as much emotion and charisma as a dead fish.

The story is mediocre, could probably be better with a different lead, but it doesn't so... yeah.