If you played pro

Lowerdeck

Basically, you're given two choices.

1. You're given a starting and probably prominent role on a club, but it's known for years of mediocrity and cellar dwelling. (aka Kansas City Royals or West Ham)

2. You're given a roster spot on a club, but you're probably not going to see much playing time at all. However, the team contends for a championship year in year out. (aka New York Yankees or Chelsea)

Given those two scenarios, which are you willing to play for?

Good on a bad team, for two simple reasons: 1. I'd probably be making good money, and 2. Free agency once the contract runs out. A benchwarmer on a good team *may* get a championship ring or whatever, but you can't exactly say they truly deserve it if they don't get to play, and they're probably not making that much money.

Edited by Nitro Girl Chiquita

The first one. I would rather be Morten Gamst Pedersen than Shaun Wright-Phillips

Too right. (Y)

Surely it's a fan's dream as a kid to get signed by the club you support and see our your career there and become a massive crowd favourite and cult figure.

In fact Pedersen's the best example I can think of right now, or Joey Barton. It's about playing the game you love as WELL as getting paid, not just getting paid for sitting around.

"Yes that's right my grandson. I was on the Chelsea books for TEN years. We won the League six times, the FA Cup five times and the Champions League twice. How many times did I play? Oh about 40 games over the ten seasons."

or

"Yes that's right my grandson. I was on the Blackburn books for TEN years. We got to the final of the FA Cup once, won the league cup once, got relegated one year but can straight back up again and got into the UEFA Cup one season. How many times did I play? Well I played 400 games, scored 200 goals and the fans chanted my name week in week out. Whenever I went down the local pub they bought drinks for me and the mayor of Blackburn gave me the freedom of the city."

So yeah, I'm still a football romantic.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

The first one. I would rather be Morten Gamst Pedersen than Shaun Wright-Phillips

Too right. (Y)

Surely it's a fan's dream as a kid to get signed by the club you support and see our your career there and become a massive crowd favourite and cult figure.

In fact Pedersen's the best example I can think of right now, or Joey Barton. It's about playing the game you love as WELL as getting paid, not just getting paid for sitting around.

"Yes that's right my grandson. I was on the Chelsea books for TEN years. We won the League six times, the FA Cup five times and the Champions League twice. How many times did I play? Oh about 40 games over the ten seasons."

or

"Yes that's right my grandson. I was on the Blackburn books for TEN years. We got to the final of the FA Cup once, won the league cup once, got relegated one year but can straight back up again and got into the UEFA Cup one season. How many times did I play? Well I played 400 games, scored 200 goals and the fans chanted my name week in week out. Whenever I went down the local pub they bought drinks for me and the mayor of Blackburn gave me the freedom of the city."

So yeah, I'm still a football romantic.

As long as it was at the NHL level and you don't mean being stuck in the minors, I would rather be a good player on a bad team. If I manage to play one season with a bad team, with almost no help, and I manage to put up some good numbers, the good teams will come looking for me.

Whilst I say the second, as a football romantic I'd rather the first, and if I were a talented footballer I'd probably go with the first, but as an average joe, I'd rather make a bucketload of money for no reason, then do a Robbie Fowler and sort myself for life. That's living the dream.