Old Game Sequels

PkmnTrainerJ

Mmmm we should approach some kind of publisher with these online athletics ideas. They'd have a year and a half to impliment it cos they'd want to tie it in to Beijing. If it used X-Box online it'd be a reason for me to get a 360. Or they could go both 360 and PS3 (with it's free connection) and just get loadsa people playing online.

Anyway, I'm starting the PB thread in a minute when I get my PBs together.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SoR and RR sequels would be awesome. I recently picked up RRII for the Megadrive from the bargain bin in Gamestation, believing I'd scored a gem. It has not aged well.

What would you change/improve about the RR games? Besides the updates that would be inevitable (graphics and sound).

Edited by Dragsy 7-0

Guest Zeokage

Sounds like ideas for a seperate "Career Mode" to me. :D

The Olympic game ideas, probably might be better to go to an English publisher and give them plenty of development time to tie it in with London 2012.

Good call Skummy, I forgot I had that. Zeokage hooked me up with the link for that (good man) and I had a good time playing it. I haven't advanced much beyond the first stage or so, but I sure as hell enjoyed beating some ass with Adam in an updated Streets of Rage.

Now if we could transfer that to X-Box 360 and make it 3D. Make it happen...somebody.

I don't know if I'd enjoy a 3D Streets Of Rage, to be honest. It would end up no different to any other cookie-cutter "action" game. I'm strongly of the belief that some company should focus their efforts on creating huge, beautiful-looking side-scrolling 2D games on next-gen consoles. They could look phenomenal, and could go on forever and, more often than not, could probably end up more playable than fancy 3D nonsense.

Understood, but I like the idea of 3D, in regards to the style of game the Warriors was. It felt like it gave the gamer a ton more freedom than a 2D side scroller. It seems that it'd be hard to pull off a incredibly interactive environment in a 2D setting compared to the freedom a 3D game would allow.

A lot of that also comes down to me believing that 2D is an archaic system to use in a video game, and I'd like to see that we've completely evolved away from that.

For a bit of a comparison, you could look at the Armies of the Night mini game, and the actual Warriors game itself. It's maybe not a fair comparison, but the game play, moves, and weaponry were the same. The Armies of the Night game was a great bonus, but I think I'd feel a bit cheated if that were an actual game in and of itself. Of course, a new game doesn't have to go by that system, I'm just using that as a bit of a comparison to make.

That's also not to say that I wouldn't enjoy a new 2D side scroller, because I probably would.

I see where you're coming from, but I still adore 2D. Obviously when 3D's done right, it's going to work a lot better, but it seems a lot easier to get caught up in making things look pretty, and there's far more space for error, in a 3D game than a 2D one. That and what it essentially comes down to is not wanting to see a game like SoR lose its charm for me.

That said, a Warriors-esque SoR would be awesome. I doubt I'll be able to track it down, but that reminds me of the old UK Sonic The Comic, when they ran a Streets Of Rage comic for a little while (written by Mark Millar, comic book geeks), and one had an incredible full-page picture of Skate, Axl and Blaze (I think it was those three) stranded on the top of their car, surrounded by hundreds of SoR bad guys...it was just amazingly drawn, and it's a fanboy's dream to see how many of the bad guys you could recognise or name.

Damn, and it's reminded me how incredible the old Sonic The Comic Decap Attack comic was. Now I want a Decap Attack sequel based on that.

Edited by Love Rhymes With Skummy

Damn, and it's reminded me how incredible the old Sonic The Comic Decap Attack comic was. Now I want a Decap Attack sequel based on that.

Wasn't it one of the earliest 'other game' comics that STC ran, like back in 1993?

Decap Attack went on for most of the time I read STC, I think they started it for their first Halloween Special, and then it just went on and on, and just became this surrealist masterpiece. I stopped reading not long after the introduction of Chaotix, so I don't know if it survived much longer than that, but it was pretty much the most prominent "other game" strip they did.

I can't find a scan of the SoR comic I want anywhere...I found websites with scans of the issues that apparently had the SoR comic in, but it looks like a completely different continuity to me...more research is needed.

I'm going to download more scans, though, largely to remind myself of Decap Attack, and to see if Ecco The Dolphin is as much of a pseudo-Lynchian headfuck as I remember it being.

EDIT:

Right, I've found some later SoR comics which seem to be closer to what I'm after, but they're taking a lifetime to download. I will find this scan, it's my mission from now on.

Edited by Love Rhymes With Skummy

Sonic The Comic, every now and then, used to have a couple of stories based around other Sega franchises...Ecco was there for a while, it was fucking mental. Really beautifully illustrated, but really bizarre storylines, complex dialogue and abstract concepts, from what I remember.

Not 'every now and then'...really, the bulk of the comic. Although they did make more Sonic spin-off comics as they progressed, whereas at the start it was just the main Sonic strip that they had throughout. But for the most of the time you'd get maybe 3 out of 5 of the comics that had nothing to do with Sonic.

But as far as Ecco goes, I hope he gets gutted and left out on a pier to rot in the sun. I really, really, really hate that dolphin.