SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Riceman 4K

It's possible Kaney, but the article did give me the impression that the whole "No playable ECW characters in story mode" was a definite. I'm definitely crossing my fingers, but I have my doubts. It annoyed me last year when Umaga, Khali, and Finlay weren't available as playable characters, so needless to say I'm astounded that they would go ahead with this decision.

Now, readers, brace yourself; I have bad news … possibly terrible news. You can't take an ECW Superstar (CM Punk, Elijah Burke, etc.) through 24/7 mode. Worse? You can't take an ECW Superstar who swapped shows (i.e. Sandman, Bobby Lashley, etc.) through the new career mode either. Go ahead and let out a frustrated cry, ECW fans -- we did. There's a fair amount of voice acting and show-specific storylines for Raw and SmackDown, and it would appear that just couldn't be done for poor ol'ECW.

In case anybody didn't read the article, there's the quote from ign.

I was definitely looking forward to turning the Sandman into a WWE legend.

I really hate limitations in any facet of a wrestling game, but this is one of the worst kind.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you get over the grief of not being able to play as any ECW dude -- with the exception of Johnny Nitro on Raw -- you can begin your dream of becoming a WWE Legend with one of 19 available wrestlers.

19? Fucking unreal.

It's typical, they announce the custom themes for wrestlers and get me excited, then they go and make a completely fucking erroneous decision such as this? Why? What is the possible thought process when thinking "Hey, let's take away the gamers freedom by limiting the number of wrestlers they can begin a career with?". How do they think this constitutes a good idea, or will win them over fans? I don't give a flying fuck if there is no voice over work for certain wrestlers, just let me do a career with whoever the fuck I want.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Go the hell THQ, go to bloody hell.

Well to be honest as long as HBK is one of those 19 I could care less.

EDIT - This picture makes it seem as maybe the number has increased? Or there was something IGN overlooked?

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2008-20071003002002525-000.jpg

EDIT2 - I should have read the whole article first, but how fucking awesome is having Tommy Dreamer as GM going to be!!?!?!

Edited by seriouseffect

Here's where it gets weird -- and keep in mind that this isn't the final build of the game -- there was no time-off option. The WWE was telling Matt to stop wrestling, but we couldn't make Matt stop wrestling. With the herniated disc tearing apart his life, Matt began entering matches with his torso already showing damage on the HUD.

Did anyone else love this realism? >_>

Here's where it gets weird -- and keep in mind that this isn't the final build of the game -- there was no time-off option. The WWE was telling Matt to stop wrestling, but we couldn't make Matt stop wrestling. With the herniated disc tearing apart his life, Matt began entering matches with his torso already showing damage on the HUD.

Did anyone else love this realism? >_>

19 wrestlers? Dammitt Benoit, could've used 20.

I have mixed feelings about the news. It's not like I'm going to play the story mode through with every one of those nineteen guys anyway (as a matter of fact, SvR 06 is the last THQ game I bought and that season I only went through with Orton, nWo Hogan and Cena), but it's just that I like to play as somebody who's not that big of a name. I'm very surprised that Lashley isn't playable in the season mode.

Meh, I guess I'll end up picking this up no matter what, as I have no SmackDown games for the 360. Then again, it's not like there isn't anything better coming soon enough or available already. Will just have to see the reviews and overall opinion around the nets.

Meh, I guess I'll end up picking this up no matter what, as I have no SmackDown games for the 360. Then again, it's not like there isn't anything better coming soon enough or available already. Will just have to see the reviews and overall opinion around the nets.

The TNA Impact game has potential.

Which isn't scheduled to come out until Spring 2008, and that's barring any delays. Not to mention I haven't seen anything displaying its "potential." We saw a couple of screenshots just last month - two years after the game was first announced; we've yet to see any gameplay videos or even know what the gameplay is like. All we know about the game is it has Sting, Jarrett, Christian and AJ Styles and apparently everyone loves the torture rack.

Fire Pro Returns is coming to the States though, so there's a promising alternative to THQ's "One Step Forward vs. 37 Steps Back 2008"