This Decade's Musical Legacy

Fanku Kaibutsu

Yeah sure NIN has always done concept albums but yeah as Zero said MCR idolize Green Day so that's obviously not a coincidence. Besides NIN what major rock act has done a concept album the past fifteen years before Green Day? Just because you don't like Green Day doesn't mean you can't give credit to a band that has obviously influenced a lot of rock acts and the albums they've made since they released "American Idiot" in 2004. While "American Idiot" isn't the definitive "Nevermind" of the 90's if they ever did a Behind the Music for this decade their album would have to be given a segment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it only me that sees that the Libertines were clearly the greatest band of the 00's?

I actually think the Libertines are one of the best of the 00's.

With that being said there's a lot of bands to emerge this decade that I like such as Coheed & Cambria, The Strokes and quite a few others that I can't think of right now. They'll come to me soon.

There's also plenty of good likeable bands on the go now - Klaxons, The View, Babyshambles et al - that will never become classics, but have had reasonable mainstream exposure and are decent enough.

We're also forgetting that, while not necessarily much in the way of a "legacy" in terms of influencing future generations, the 00s have seen fantastic albums by music veterans like Jerry Lee Lewis, Lee Hazlewood, Tom Waits and Johnny Cash, and comebacks by the likes of Morrissey.

As I said, though, I think the idea of a "legacy" for a decade as far as music goes may be an outdated concept. Music is just entirely different, as an industry, than it ever has been before. If anything, THAT will be the legacy of this decade.

Yeah sure NIN has always done concept albums but yeah as Zero said MCR idolize Green Day so that's obviously not a coincidence. Besides NIN what major rock act has done a concept album the past fifteen years before Green Day? Just because you don't like Green Day doesn't mean you can't give credit to a band that has obviously influenced a lot of rock acts and the albums they've made since they released "American Idiot" in 2004. While "American Idiot" isn't the definitive "Nevermind" of the 90's if they ever did a Behind the Music for this decade their album would have to be given a segment.

The Mars Volta, The Flaming Lips, Coheed & Cambria, Alice In Chains, and Dream Theater have all released concept albums within 15 years of Green Day's "American Idiot," and those are just the most mainstream bands I can think of off the top of my head.

The Mars Volta, The Flaming Lips, Coheed & Cambria, Alice In Chains, and Dream Theater have all released concept albums within 15 years of Green Day's "American Idiot," and those are just the most mainstream bands I can think of off the top of my head. I would guess that in the 15 years before American Idiot came out, hundreds of concept albums have been released. And the only reason I can think of that someone would say "besides NIN" is because NIN is an excellent example with which to counter the argument you present. While it may be true that My Chemical Romance released a concept album because of Green Day's success, to suggest that concept albums are being created today because of Green Day is an incredibly reductionist and flawed viewpoint.

How the hell did they revitalise the concept, when other bands had been doing it in droves before them.

HOWEVER!!! Box Car Racer, they were a 'mainstream' rock band. Granted, they never reached the popularity of Green Day. But they did the whole concept album before Green Day did.

And just because something's POPULAR, doesn't mean that it's got anymore influence over bands. Most 'rockers' will know at least the names of ALL of those bands mentioned (I recently was astounded at how many people knew Dream Theater...most people thought they were wank :shifty:), now think of people in bands. People in the industry. They're going to know these bands, as they're far from being 'small' bands.

Edited by YI

The Mars Volta, The Flaming Lips, Coheed & Cambria, Alice In Chains, and Dream Theater have all released concept albums within 15 years of Green Day's "American Idiot," and those are just the most mainstream bands I can think of off the top of my head. I would guess that in the 15 years before American Idiot came out, hundreds of concept albums have been released. And the only reason I can think of that someone would say "besides NIN" is because NIN is an excellent example with which to counter the argument you present. While it may be true that My Chemical Romance released a concept album because of Green Day's success, to suggest that concept albums are being created today because of Green Day is an incredibly reductionist and flawed viewpoint.

The only band mentioned there that's a mainstream rock band in the US would be Alice In Chains. I'm saying Green Day revilitized the concept of the concept album in this decade. Really how many of those albums you mentioned are platinum?

Yeah sure NIN has always done concept albums but yeah as Zero said MCR idolize Green Day so that's obviously not a coincidence. Besides NIN what major rock act has done a concept album the past fifteen years before Green Day? Just because you don't like Green Day doesn't mean you can't give credit to a band that has obviously influenced a lot of rock acts and the albums they've made since they Yeah, I was going to comment on the ridiculous album sales comment. From some MTV.com article 5 years ago:released "American Idiot" in 2004. While "American Idiot" isn't the definitive "Nevermind" of the 90's if they ever did a Behind the Music for this decade their album would have to be given a segment.

The only band mentioned there that's a mainstream rock band in the US would be Alice In Chains. I'm saying Green Day revilitized the concept of the concept album in this decade. Really how many of those albums you mentioned are platinum?

Edited by lafunky xxvii