Music

YI

Okay...we're into 2007. At the start of the year we all had our lists of stuff we were looking forward to, since then more's been announced, so basically, this is an update. What have you liked thus far. What are you really looking forward to etc.

Much like last year, it might be that I have a lot more time on my hands, but it seems to have been an amazing year for music, and none of the releases I was really looking forward to have actually been released yet (Outside of The Cooper Temple Clause and Lifetime). CTC met my expectations, Lifetime was a little poorer than I was hoping, but it's still a solid release that holds up with their previous albums. And being on Decaydance has done very little/if anything to their style and sound.

There's also a lot of stuff that's surpassed my expectations. Stars Of The Lid, I downloaded the album purely because I was bored, and there was nothing else new on the tracker. And it blew me away. Modest Mouse and DnTel both produced much better albums than I could have hoped for. Big D And The Kids Table went all out, with a 15 track album, with absolutely no filler. Bright Eyes released their most accessible album to date. And whilst I've just heard it, I'm confident that it will remain in my good books. Death By Stereo released a shit-hot live album, Aqualung and Aqueduct both appeared with new albums. Bloc Party, whilst receiving some flack, have really battled the difficult second album so much better than most bands. Whilst I wouldn't rank it with "Silent Alarm", it was a good release. On the punk-rock side of things, you've got Down By Fire, Authority Zero, Only Crime, Sundowner (Lawrence Arms sideproject), The Swellers and more I'm probably forgetting, tossing out albums already. The Shins, Of Montreal, Panda Bear, Norah Jones, Feist, Dinosaur Jr, Goldenhorse, The Postmarks...just so many albums already. Then you've got the likes of Pelican, Hot Cross, Dark Tranquility, Poison The Well, Machine Head, Eluvium, Explosions In The Sky, Hella, Do Make Say Think, who've all put out stuff.

We're just over 3 months into the year, and I could potentially put together a list of 100 albums. Well 50, no problem. And there's a huge amount of stuff to come.

So here's what I'm really looking forward to;

"Calling The World" by Rooney - Spring :w00t:

"Blackhawks Over Los Angeles" by Strung Out - June 12th :w00t:

"???" by Streetlight Manifesto - Summer :w00t:

"New Wave" by Against Me! - July 10th

"New Maps Of Hell" by Bad Religion - July 10th

"Keep It Going" by Mad Caddies - May 1st

"???" by Afterburner - n/a

"???" by The Weakerthans - Fall (Heard some new songs...pretty good)

"???" by Death By Stereo - Spring/Summer (Seeing as they've just shot a video)

"???" by A Wilhelm Scream - Summer (Confirmed pre-sumemr tours)

"Systematic Chaos" by Dream Theater - June 4th

"Favourite Worst Nightmare" by The Arctic Monkeys - April 23rd

"Let's Just Be" by Joseph Arthur - April 17th

"???" by Paint It Black - Fall

"The Boy With No Name" by Travis - May 8th (SHUT UP!!!)

"???" by Jimmy Eat World - Spring/Summer

"The Fragile Army" by The Polyphonic Spree - Spring/Summer

"Underclass Hero" by Sum 41 - May 8th

"Fear Of A Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree - April 16th

"Year Zero" by Nine Inch Nails - April 17th

"???" by The Mars Volta

"???" by Propagandhi

"???" by Break The Silence

"???" by Dredg

I'm totally going to be missing stuff. There's just too much to remember.

So yeah, what have you enjoyed. But mostly, what are you looking forward to. I want some stuff to be excited about when I get back from the pub. (Y)

Edited by YI

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well current music doesn't really appeal to me, and there are only 3 albums this year I want. Avril's next album coming out in a couple weeks, Sum 41's album coming out Summer, and Chinese Democracy, which I pray comes out 2007.

To be honest, I can't even name 1 song that came out from January 2007 to now.

I think I'm looking forward to Against Me!, Streetlight (though it's been built up so much in my mind by now that it can only disappoint me), The Postal Service (which I'm pretty sure is slated for this year), and The Mars Volta the most. Also, I didn't know that Dredg had new stuff coming out, so that should be pretty cool... although I remember being disappointed with their most recent album. But 2007 does indeed seem to already be a pretty good year for new music.

I haven't listened to much music from this year honestly, but I am impatiently waiting for the new Streetlight album to come out and also new BOTAR stuff. But of course, that won't come out this year. It's like the Chinese Democracy of ska.

Oh, and new Wu Tang and possibly new Lupe this summer.

Edited by reyrey619

Opeth are recording this year so Im pretty hyped for that, and unless Im drunk right now im sure I read that nevermore are gonna have some new stuff out too, but honestly, Im really out of touch these days and ill probably be smacked by new and completely unexpected stuff in a few months that'll blow my mind.

Bands that have albums coming out this year that I will enjoy very much:

The Agony Scene

Hellyeah

Pelican

Queens of the Stone Age

Porcupine Tree

Byzantine

Black Light Burns

DevilDriver

A Perfect Murder

Nile

A Life Once Lost

bloodsimple

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Down

Marilyn Manson

The Red Chord

Throwdown

Boris will probably release another as well.

I guess Massive Attack is rumored to be coming out with a new album, as well.

So yeah, this year is gonna be awesome for music.

Oh and the fact that I've already enjoyed:

"Year Zero" by Nine Inch Nails

"Vena Sera" by Chevelle

"Threads of Life" by Shadows Fall

"Hibernaculum" by Earth

"The Hinderers" by Daath

"We Must Obey" by Fu Manchu

"Wincing the Night Away" by the Shins

So, in conclusion, 2007 is gonna be awesome.

The new Silverchair was kinda shitty, but in my opinion they've only ever really had one good album. I like what I've heard of the new NIN album, tomorrow I'll be able to spend some more time with it and know for sure. The new Big D is also a really good album. Can't believe I forgot about the upcoming Mae album, I was just listening to The Everglow earlier today, and I'm really looking forward to their new material.

For the records I've enjoyed of 2007:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future

New records that should be awesome:

Dr. Dre (Detox betta come out in 2007...or else Game will have to put it out himself, and that won't be cool for anyone. >_>)

Interpol

Spoon

Arctic Monkeys

The Mars Volta

Bjork

John Cena ( :shifty: )

Lil' Wayne

Lupe...maybe

Thrice (out of mere fascination as to whether or not a four-disc CD set will work)

The new Silverchair was kinda shitty, but in my opinion they've only ever really had one good album. I like what I've heard of the new NIN album, tomorrow I'll be able to spend some more time with it and know for sure. The new Big D is also a really good album. Can't believe I forgot about the upcoming Mae album, I was just listening to The Everglow earlier today, and I'm really looking forward to their new material.

I thought Neon Ballroom was really where they hit their stride. The album had a really grand, theatrical sound to it that I think is missing from most music nowadays. While I like some of their other stuff, I really think they should have kept with the sound they had going during the Neon Ballroom era.

Note: it's entirely possible that I've mistaken the name "Neon Ballroom" for one of their other albums... basically, whichever one had the sound that I was trying to describe was the one I thought was their best. Also, I guess I shouldn't have said that it was their only good album, as I have enjoyed all of them to some degree.