Movies That Frighten People.

Dr. Rated-R

Yeah. My lady friend and I are wanting to watch a bunch of horror movies next time we get together. But I can't think of anything good that's actually frightening. Like, she wants something legit. scary, but nothing comes to mind for me for whatever reason.

So, yeah, throw out the suggestions. Preferably stuff that's not eight hours long.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies that have legitimately scared/disturbed me:

The Exorcist

The Ring

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Halloween

Session 9

Alien

The Thing (Kurt Rusell)

Edited by Zero

Audition

Don't you think Miike's a little much for somebody, I dunno, normal? <_<

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm digging the stuff that's been put out there so far, but I'm hoping for a couple of modern gems instead of just The Exorcist and The Shining, which are great but are way too long for a marathon sort of scenario.

While they're not all necessarily scary, here are a few modern gorefests you may enjoy. They're definitely gross

Dawn of the Dead (remake)

High Tension

Saw Trilogy

Devil's Rejects

And add Stigmata to my original list, that one's pretty creepy.

And if you guys are looking to get out, go see Grindhouse. It is 3.5 hours long, which will hurt your marathon idea, but if you see it early in the day, then go onto watch a bunch of these movies, you'll have a great day.

I do have to admit, Blair Witch was creepy when I saw it. Of course, I got into the hype and I saw it in a rundown theater, late at night. But trying to watch it now? Gah, terrible.

It scared the absolute bejesus out of me, the first time I saw it. I was literally terrified. *shudders*

I always find those sorts of films much scarier than like, slasher flicks or whatever, I dunno why. Maybe it's the psychological aspect? Either way, The Wicker Man needs to be on Rated-R Superstar's list. Just make sure you don't go to bed right afterwards.

Yeah I can third the wicker man love. I had to watch it in class, and every single one of us got terrified when Christopher Lee dressed up as Cher ¬.¬

To add to it, I'd say the first halloween is a good one, it's not scary, but its certainly atmospheric, and for more recent films, I dunno :\ Obviously there's Hostel and the Saw movies if you just want gore, but I wouldn't say any of them were good. Ginger Snaps maybe? Thats not bad.

I will back up the Grindhouse mention, it looks like it's gonna be GREAT. Saw a trailer for it when I went to see 300 and Tarentino almost always brings the goods for his movies (Kill Bill Part 2 wasn't exactly good) so with him and another director I am gonna go and see it. When is it actually coming out?

I heard dead proof sucked, but Planet Terror was very good.

Friday The 13th (The first one, forget the rest of the sereis.)

Cabin Fever

Resident Evil 1 and 2 ( Iliked them)

JAWS

Night of the Living Dead

The Birds

Salem's Lot

Stephen King's It.

Silence of the Lambs

Predator

Psycho

Amityville Horror

Blair Witch Project

Anything that is based on true events or truse stories is scary to me.

I heard dead proof sucked, but Planet Terror was very good.

Anyone who thinks that completely missed the point. Death Proof is a 100% spot-on homage of old school grindcore movies. Back in the 70s, there were movies that were made solely because someone wanted to do a really cool car chase. The rest of the movie sucked, but hey, it had a badass car chase. Death Proof follows this formula and marks for Tarantino's dialogue will jizz in their pants the entire time regardless. Both movies are amazingly good, but I think I preferred Death Proof. Planet Terror probably could have got a release on its own without the Grindhouse gimmick, it was a lot like Cabin Fever meets 28 Days Later, but Death Proof was definitely the kind of movie you'd see at the old grind houses.

Oh and to add another movie onto the list: Suspiria. A lot of people say it's the best horror film ever made. Personally, I think it blows, but it has one of the best murder scenes in the history of film.