Movies That Frighten People.

Dr. Rated-R

I heard dead proof sucked, but Planet Terror was very good.

Anyone who thinks that completely missed the point. Death Proof is a 100% spot-on homage of old school grindcore movies. Back in the 70s, there were movies that were made solely because someone wanted to do a really cool car chase. The rest of the movie sucked, but hey, it had a badass car chase. Death Proof follows this formula and marks for Tarantino's dialogue will jizz in their pants the entire time regardless. Both movies are amazingly good, but I think I preferred Death Proof. Planet Terror probably could have got a release on its own without the Grindhouse gimmick, it was a lot like Cabin Fever meets 28 Days Later, but Death Proof was definitely the kind of movie you'd see at the old grind houses.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh Audition is an excellent movie. For me horror movies are at their best when they spend an hour or even more just setting the scene and building characters, so for example you actually FEEL for John Hurt when it all kicks off in Alien, and for the lead character in Audition. Gruesome and "trying t be offensive" horror right from the start just seems to be trying too hard.

Being scared of spiders Arachnaphobia shits me up, especially when the massive spider starts crawling along the guy.

Ahhh Audition is an excellent movie. For me horror movies are at their best when they spend an hour or even more just setting the scene and building characters, so for example you actually FEEL for John Hurt when it all kicks off in Alien, and for the lead character in Audition. Gruesome and "trying t be offensive" horror right from the start just seems to be trying too hard.

Honestly, I think you just nailed why a lot of people are complaining about Tarantino's half of Grindhouse. He spends a lot of time really building the characters up and people either like that or they don't. American audiences are so conditioned to think that a horror movie means random people are going to die in a gruesome fashion. But for me, it means so much more to see the people being real people before getting involved in the conflict.

Another great horror film that really got me(almost as bad as Alien) is the Descent....which is by far the best horror film since Scream.

I've heard a lot of good reviews for the Horrorfest films . They were shown at a few select theaters and then released straight to dvd. Haven't had a chance to watch them myself but my friends and some people online give the movies praise.

American Physco

Poltergeist

The original Amityville Horror

Ghost Watcher

Ghost Watcher 2 ( both are low budget paranormal movies , but I fucking love them. Seriously spooky stuff)

Anyone who thinks that completely missed the point. Death Proof is a 100% spot-on homage of old school grindcore movies. Back in the 70s, there were movies that were made solely because someone wanted to do a really cool car chase. The rest of the movie sucked, but hey, it had a badass car chase. Death Proof follows this formula and marks for Tarantino's dialogue will jizz in their pants the entire time regardless. Both movies are amazingly good, but I think I preferred Death Proof. Planet Terror probably could have got a release on its own without the Grindhouse gimmick, it was a lot like Cabin Fever meets 28 Days Later, but Death Proof was definitely the kind of movie you'd see at the old grind houses.

Friday The 13th (The first one, forget the rest of the sereis.)

Cabin Fever

Resident Evil 1 and 2 ( Iliked them)

JAWS

Night of the Living Dead

The Birds

Salem's Lot

Stephen King's It.

Silence of the Lambs

Predator

Psycho

Amityville Horror

Blair Witch Project

Anything that is based on true events or truse stories is scary to me.

If that was the point, then Tarantino and co did a SHITTY job of informing us. Before I go on, I'd like to make clear that I have not seen it and am debating whether it's worth it at all at the moment, feel free to make arguments.

Anyway, the view I had of it based on everything I read up to its release was that it was going to be a double-header of movies in a "grind house" format. I'd heard about the plots and I was actually more excited about Death Proof than Planet Terror at that point. So, the movie comes out and people go to see it, and the feedback I got about it was not complimentary; like me, the majority of people were under the impression that Death Proof was going to be a slasher movie in a similar vein to Pulp Fiction et al, just more over-the-top. One particular quote I picked up on was from a good friend of mine who claimed it was "like an hour just talking before shit started happening" - he was probably exaggerating, but he wasn't impressed with the finished product because it was too different to what he'd been lead to believe. I would opine that if a film's audience is mislead like this, then the director, the producer, whoever's in charge of that has not done their job properly, and in this instance, it's Tarantino.

Now, to go back to the above post, Zero claims that people who think Death Proof sucked missed the point that it was an homage of genuine grindhouse movies - it's a fair claim, I'm not debating that, but for a film to have such a point but not communicate it properly is indeed enough to make it suck, particularly when the content isn't good of itself.

Uh, when was anything like 'hey, come see a badass slasher pulp fiction' even mentioned..? : \

If that was the point, then Tarantino and co did a SHITTY job of informing us. Before I go on, I'd like to make clear that I have not seen it and am debating whether it's worth it at all at the moment, feel free to make arguments.

Anyway, the view I had of it based on everything I read up to its release was that it was going to be a double-header of movies in a "grind house" format. I'd heard about the plots and I was actually more excited about Death Proof than Planet Terror at that point. So, the movie comes out and people go to see it, and the feedback I got about it was not complimentary; like me, the majority of people were under the impression that Death Proof was going to be a slasher movie in a similar vein to Pulp Fiction et al, just more over-the-top. One particular quote I picked up on was from a good friend of mine who claimed it was "like an hour just talking before shit started happening" - he was probably exaggerating, but he wasn't impressed with the finished product because it was too different to what he'd been lead to believe. I would opine that if a film's audience is mislead like this, then the director, the producer, whoever's in charge of that has not done their job properly, and in this instance, it's Tarantino.

Now, to go back to the above post, Zero claims that people who think Death Proof sucked missed the point that it was an homage of genuine grindhouse movies - it's a fair claim, I'm not debating that, but for a film to have such a point but not communicate it properly is indeed enough to make it suck, particularly when the content isn't good of itself.

Edited by desiredtoe

I'll definitely agree that Friday the 13th 1-3 are all great. 4 is a little shaky, but an important part to the series. 5 is fucking terrible, 6 and 7 are weak, 8 and Final Friday are great campy fun, and Jason X is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life. Freddy vs. Jason was fucking great, they really need to get on the ball with a sequel.

Halloween 1 and 2 are the only ones I like.

Nightmare on Elm Street and New Nightmare are pretty scary. The sequels mostly suck (except DREAM WARRIOOOOOOOORS), but at least they're really funny.

I'll definitely agree that Friday the 13th 1-3 are all great. 4 is a little shaky, but an important part to the series. 5 is fucking terrible, 6 and 7 are weak, 8 and Final Friday are great campy fun, and Jason X is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life. Freddy vs. Jason was fucking great, they really need to get on the ball with a sequel.

Halloween 1 and 2 are the only ones I like.

Nightmare on Elm Street and New Nightmare are pretty scary. The sequels mostly suck (except DREAM WARRIOOOOOOOORS), but at least they're really funny.

For some reason, Darkness Falls creeped the hell out of me. I wouldn't go to the bathroom which was through a dark room after watchng that movie. It wore off quick, but for those first few minutes after the movie I was like "DAMN" and wasn't moving out of the light.

The best part of Friday The 13th Part Two is that the female lead does something I have never seen before in a slasher movie - she fucking kicks Jason right in the balls, and then runs. That makes Part Two my favourite Friday The 13th film.