International Cricket Captain

lafunky xxvii

I think there are about 4 of us on the board who play this game (me, Flamin' Mongrel, Chris2k and Zaz). Anyone feel like getting back into playing since the World Cup? I discovered yesterday that I still have the 2006 version on my laptop and want to give it a dabble. Anyway, I thought if some others were interested we could set up some sort of challenge, chart our individual progress here, etc, etc.

Anyone fancy it?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd join, but I'm not sure how much time I'd have.

It's only a fun thing, like seeing how you do compared to other people. Me and Zaz did a West Indies challenge once, which was fun, except I used to beat his attempts all the time :P

England 2007: Moore(s) Than You Bargained For

The highs of the 2005 Ashes victory were long forgotten by the end of April 2007 as England's failure to do anything at all resembling good cricket in the World Cup left everyone with a sour taste in their mouth. After back to back victories over Australia in the Commonwealth Bank Series the hopes were high, but us English should know better than to be optimistic about anything.

The media wanted a change and they got it when Duncan Fletcher stepped down as England coach and was replaced by Peter Moores, a man with no international pedigree but a very good resume nonetheless. He was charged with the difficult job of silencing the critics and finally giving England a One Day team that could achieve something.

Your challenge for the season 2007/8 is to bring some respectability back to English cricket. With upcoming home series' against India and the West Indies and a difficult winter in Sri Lanka and New Zealand it will not prove easy...

...especially with the following constraints.

• Michael Vaughan MUST remain England captain and can only be dropped through injury. He must also open the batting in both forms of the game.

• Marcus Trescothick is back to full health and batting well again. However, he is still not trusting enough to leave his cheating wife for tours overseas. Do you offer him some cricket in the hope that he will eventually change his mind or do you drop him and form a new opening partnership?

• After his success in the Windies and his cult hero status amongst the media, Paul Nixon will remain England's first choice wicketkeeper. In the event of injury he may be replaced, but only with a keeper/batsman (someone who averages above 35 in first class cricket).

• Steve Harmison will remain retired from ODIs.

• In keeping with England's tradition of bringing in young fast bowlers your pace attack may be made up off the following: Matthew Hoggard, James Anderson, Steve Harmison (except ODIs), Liam Plunkett, Sajid Mahmood & Stuart Broad. If you wish to bring in anyone outside of these they must have either played less than 100 first class matches prior to the start of the season or be aged under 25.

• England have decided to continue their trial and error approach to One Day cricket, giving the odd chance to a random batsman/all-rounder. However, their short-sightedness has not changed. You may bring in any new player into the One Day setup, but the moment you drop them (that is they miss 3 games in a row, voluntarily), you may no longer select them.

• The next Alistair Cook - Can you find the next diamond in the rough? At some point over the 2007/8 season you must select a batsman with a maximum of 1 season's experience. He must play a minimum of 1 test.

• For your winter tour you must select either the leading English domestic run scorer or wicket taker. They must also play atleast 1 test.

That's all I can think of right now. Anyone got any comments on these stipulations? I'm open to suggestions from people about additional ones also. There will also be special competitions for people (high scores and stuff). I'll post them after I've uploaded the saved game.

Edited by lafunky xxvii

I've uploaded the game now, I'll wait for a little longer to get some feedback on the constraints, see if anyone has some good ones to add in (I might play around with some of my own too).

I'm also going to add in some mini competitions, which might lead to the winners getting some sort of advantage if we move into a second season. These are:

• Highest innings score in a Test

• Highest innings score in a ODI

• Lowest innings score against

• Lowest ODI score against

• Highest individual score in a Test

• Highest individual ODI score

• Best bowling in a Test (innings)

• Best bowling in a Test (match)

• Best bowling in an ODI

• Quickest 50

• Quickest 100

• Most runs in a series

• Most runs in the year

• Most wickets in a series

• Most wickets in a year

Now the special awards

• First person to score an ODI 100 with Michael Vaughan

• Highest score by the 'next' Alistair Cook (debut only)

• Highest score with Monty Panesar

Any suggestions about others?

Edited by lafunky xxvii

Now the special awards

[*]First person to score an ODI 100 with Michael Vaughan

[*]Highest score by the 'next' Alistair Cook (debut only)

[*]Highest score with Monty Panesar

Any suggestions about others?

Are you taking the piss? >_>

That aside, it all looks good. Don't want to make the rules too restrictive after all, enough of a challenge there.