Alan Ball

Dan

I was debating putting up a topic when I logged on earlier, but didn't get around to it. Sad news, indeed, especially for someone still relatively young.

I couldn't find it online, but BBC were saying he was actually the MOM from the World Cup Final, apparently.....interesting factoid I didn't know.

Sucks. What I find worrying is this is only 5 years or so older than what my dad is next, and if a perfectly fit and healthy man can die of a heart attack at 61, what the hell can happen to an overweight man with high blood pressure and cholesteral?

:( RIP

RIP. And I never knew he was MOTM, I'd always presumed it was Geoff Hurst.

Am I right in saying he's the second of the 11 to pass on?

Yeah you are. The other (obviously) is Bobby Moore in '93 of cancer.

It's a complete shock. I got to work and as usual went to the Sky Sports site and it was just there. I was stunned. True legend.

As a Portsmouth fan I was gutted to hear about him passing away. He managed us in some dark times and it's a shame he won't be there to see our new stadium. I'd hope there will be some dedication to him, I'd love to sit in the Alan Ball stand in a few years time.

As he managed Southampton as well it would be great for the two sides to play a friendly in the summer for a favourite charity of his. I'd hope both sets of fans would show him (and each other) the respect he deserves.