Songs with deeper meanings

Tarheels.

"The KKK Took My Baby Away" by The Ramones is allegedly about Johnny Ramone "stealing" and marrying Joey Ramone's long-term girlfriend.

"Hitch A Ride" by Boston is about suicide.

"Brick" by Ben Folds Five is about abortion, despite on the surface sounding like it's about a break-up or an apathetic relationship.

On a slight aside, am I the only one who gets annoyed by people completely neglecting the meaning of songs? My friend's band plays "Luka" by Suzanne Vega, a song EXPLICITLY about domestic violence, and you always see couples dancing to it, which always struck me as quite sinister, if nothing else.

"A Baltimore Love Thing" by 50 Cent is about heroin. At a few times it's practically giving away the fact it's a song about drugs, but quite a few people still think it's a love song and girls who hear it are like... ah, that's special.

If that doesn't give it away that it's about heroin I don't know what will lol.

These are just my interpretations. I'm not saying "this is the right interpretation!" or anything.

'Black Fire' by Dragonforce is about overcoming adversity. Taken literally, it's obviously about killing shit. It's Dragonforce ffs. But metaphorically it's about how standing idly by and watching things happen that you disagree with makes you a pussy.

'Chasing the Dragon' by Dream Evil is about taking heroin for the first time. Kinda obvious that one ¬_¬.

Edguy songs:

'All The Clowns' is about growing up/maturing, and realising that things aren't as simple as they were when you were younger.

'Babylon' is about not wanting to change to 'fit in', realising that someone (girlfriend? peers? gang?) has changed you into something you don't want to be, and saying "fuck you, I'll do what I want from now on, stop controlling my life".

Come to think of it, 'Falling Down' is very similar, but that's more about rebelling against the mainstream. 'Superheroes' is similar too, about not caring what anyone thinks, just getting on with it.

King of Fools is, again, similar. I always think of it as an "anti-chav anthem", but according to Tobias himself it's about how the entertainment industry looks down on heavy metal as if it's inferior, and keeps trying to shape it into pop music to sell more records. It's basically Tobias saying 'fuck you'.

'Rise Of The Morning Glory' is about getting an erection in the morning ¬_¬

'When A Hero Cries' is about unrequited love.

'Navigator' is about man's tendancy to always want to be bigger, faster, better or more efficient, and how sometimes that can backfire and land you flat on your ass.

'Rocket Ride' is about how sometimes you can get bogged down in the humdrum of life, and forget to go out and enjoy it.

'Save Us Now' is a brilliantly silly song about Edguy's drummer, Felix 'Alien Drum Bunny' Bohnke, and how the world needs to be saved from his drum solo's.

'Vain Glory Opera' isn't exactly a hidden meaning, but it's about how for there to be good, there needs to be evil to fight it. If there was no evil, there'd be no good. So all victories ('glory') anyone in life wins, be it an actual war, or a personal achievement, or anything, is just a 'vain glory' in the grand scheme of things.

'Tears Of A Mandrake' is about relgion (could also be applied to the media in this day and age), who can make you believe whatever they want you to believe and make you do things that are pretty much unneccesary. For example, buying guns to defend yourself because there's an army coming to invade you, or buying crosses and wards because you'll go to Hell otherwise. Stuff like that.

"A Baltimore Love Thing" by 50 Cent is about heroin. At a few times it's practically giving away the fact it's a song about drugs, but quite a few people still think it's a love song and girls who hear it are like... ah, that's special.

There are people out there who don't know Baltimore is that fucked up.

There are people out there who don't know Baltimore is that fucked up.

Yeah, we in Baltimore call them tourists.

And we laugh.

I don't live in Baltimore. I don't think I'd ever leave the Inner Harbor, I-83, or I-95. And actually, since I finished I-83 inside 695... I'll stick to 95 and the Inner Harbor only. The only safe places in town.

I've been to a few Orioles games, get the hell out of there as soon as I can.

Brick by Ben Folds is about his girlfriend getting an abortion.

I know Skummy said it as well but I thought this one was obvious....though I haven't heard it for a while.

Where The Streets Have No Name" by U2 is about Bono's time in Africa.

I always thought it was about the conflicts in Ireland...

Same here.

Foo Fighters 'All My Life' is about oral sex :shifty:

Goo Goo Dolls 'Black Balloon' is about a drug overdose, IIRC

Matchbox 20 '3am' is about Rob Thomas and his Mum dealing with either cancer or alzheimers, IIRC again

The Editors 'Munich' is about facism, apparently.

Yeah, Black Balloon is about a girl ODing on heroin. Guy tries to save her and show her what love it (tries to fill the gap that heroin fills in her life), but is ultimately unsuccessful. However, guy learns what love really is, and is therefore happy.

Love that song.