Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

zero

Alright, here we go.

I loved Spiderman and Spiderman 2, and this movie, while not terrible, pales in comparison to those two.

First of all, this movie started off right away feeling different, Mary Jane and Peter were both happy, successful, and it felt very strange to me, but whatever. I can dig Peter getting carried away by the whole hero-worship thing, of course, who wouldn't? However, there is NO reason why he would kiss Gwen Stacy like that in front of MJ, and same goes for MJ kissing Harry.

The middle part. Oh my god. From the emo hair to the ridiculous fonz poses, it was absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, I was expecting the rest of AFI to jump in and start playing "Miss Murder." There's poking fun of yourself and there's just bad comedy at Snakes on a Plane level. Everyone in the theater was laughing at the middle, and it was impossible for the audience to climb back out of it for the end (which was very well done).

Venom, I was very disappointed in. He deserves his own movie, not the subplot to the fucking terrible Marko Flint. He was just a terrible and boring villain with no redeeming qualities. I thought Topher Grace did a really good job, I just wish he was in more scenes. There felt like there was little build-up. Ultimately, Venom was very forgettable, and that's a damn shame, because he shouldn't be.

Bottom line, the beginning and the end were very well done. The middle third seemed like something out of a Joel Schumacher film. It was almost as if Sam Raimi didn't know how to do the ridiculously campy part and brought Joel in. I'm gonna give it a C+, I think as a first impression. The middle part definitely killed the movie for me though.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Spidy three was a good movie, I must say I left the movie mad. They shot their load to quickly by placing three villains into this movie. I think it would of been far greater to have Sandman and Venom be the villians of this movie while the whole time building up to Spidy four the final showdown between Spiderman and Harry. Also the middle scene with disco spidy was horribly done. During this movie I couldn't take spiderman serious at all. He was either doing the gayest dance ever, crying, or professing his love for Harry. Also the whole Peter having a ego problem did not build well at all as it could of been so much more.

Topher was good though. Also as funny as Bruce Campbell is, who did he screw to keep ending up in this movie. Did he do a voice of spidy somewhere or something because it just seems weird to me to keep bringing in an actor who has no ties at all with the francise(before the movies.)

I give the movie a 6.5/10. Now I sleep.

I thought Spider-Man 3 was fucking excellent, it destroys Spidey 2 and is slightly better than the first movie. I recommend this movie to everyone who hasn't seen it yet. The action was great, the drama scenes were entertaining, and the comedy really worked, anyone who says this movie is bad should be put to death :thumbsdown:

I've lost respect for Hugar after not knowing the Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell connection. For shame Hugar! :thumbsdown:

I thought Spider-Man 3 was fucking excellent, it destroys Spidey 2 and is slightly better than the first movie. I recommend this movie to everyone who hasn't seen it yet. The action was great, the drama scenes were entertaining, and the comedy really worked, anyone who says this movie is bad should be put to death thumbsdown.gif
Edited by Pepsi

Everyone is different obviously, but it seems that this film is polarizing audiences and fans everywhere. I've read everything from it's the best to it's the worst movie ever made, which is interesting. I still need to sit down and get my thoughts on it down. I will say this, either this weekend or next I plan to go to the movies and see it a second time where I can just sit back and watch, knowing all that is coming, as oposed to thinking about it as i go along as I did the first time.

It was ok at best. Every single fight seemed to be the same though. It was "Fall from a really high position, fight all the way down, and just barely escape splatting the pavement" over and over again. It got old. The relationship storyline varied from boring to stupid and I can honestly say I didn't care at all whether they would stay together or not.

At the end of Spiderman 2 I remember leaving the theater thinking I could just sit down and watch another Spiderman movie right this second. Today I left the theater not exactly thinking I wasted my money, but also in no way worried about another movie ever being made.

Oh and you know my biggest beef so far?

The media keeps calling it "the black suit" :@ I'm being a pedantic nerd, but it's the symbiote, motherfuckers!

How is Venom not dead? You saw Eddie Brock's SKELETON, and then you see the last bits of the symbiote burning away to nothing. He's very very dead. It's Darth Maul syndrome here, cool villian, not enough screen time, blatantly dead, everyone wishes he was still alive.

Unless Connors kept that TINY little bit of symbiote, and it somehow multiplies. I'll post more detailed thoughts later, but I'd give it about 6-7 out of 10. Good at best.

Somehow I doubt they'd be writing another 3 Spiderman films without Venom getting his own film, he is after all Spiderman's ultimate arch enemy.

And anyways, theres two factors going in Venom's favour of being alive, a) it's based on a comic and b) it's a hollywood film. He'll have survived somehow.

How is Venom not dead? You saw Eddie Brock's SKELETON, and then you see the last bits of the symbiote burning away to nothing. He's very very dead. It's Darth Maul syndrome here, cool villian, not enough screen time, blatantly dead, everyone wishes he was still alive.

Oh? From IGN:

Spidey 4 Lives!

But is a dead character not really dead?

by Stax

May 1, 2007 - With Spider-Man 3 opening in theaters stateside this Friday, fans want to know if this will be the last movie featuring their favorite neighborhood wallcrawler. Fear not, true believers: Spidey will indeed continue his big-screen adventures!

FoxNews.com columnist Roger Friedman attended the premiere of Spider-Man 3 at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York on April 30th. The film's entire cast and director Sam Raimi were reportedly present.

Friedman said Raimi advised him that there will be a Spidey 4, adding that it's "not clear which cast members will return, but as Raimi said, 'It's all about getting a script.'"

That script will have to be written by another scribe besides Alvin Sargent, who penned the last two films and is married to Spidey producer Laura Ziskin. "It's time for someone else to do it," Sargent informed Friedman.

(No word yet if David Koepp, who scripted the first Spider-Man movie, will be back for the fourth installment as earlier reports suggested.)

The big surprise in the FoxNews.com report is word that one character who appears to die in Spidey 3 might return for Spidey 4. "It turns out I may not be completely dead," the unnamed actor who plays the unspecified character revealed.

Well Harry's in the dirt, the only other person that "dies" is Venom. Venom is coming back, especially with the possibility of Maguire/Dunst leaving, they're going to need something to please the fanboys.

How do you bring back a dead character though without going into supernatural territory? Especially if the symbiote was burned, and you saw Brock's skeleton? I'm just going by what I've heard, since I haven't seen the film yet.

How do you bring back a dead character though without going into supernatural territory? Especially if the symbiote was burned, and you saw Brock's skeleton? I'm just going by what I've heard, since I haven't seen the film yet.
Edited by fourstarfizzle

Regardless of your feelings on the movie, Spider-Man once again shattered box office records. According to Box Office Mojo, the movie brought in $148 million this weekend, well ahead of the record $135 million that Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest raked in last year.

Now, the question is, with Shrek 3 opening in two weeks and Pirates 3 the week after that, will Spidey keep that record?

Regardless of your feelings on the movie, Spider-Man once again shattered box office records. According to Box Office Mojo, the movie brought in $148 million this weekend, well ahead of the record $135 million that Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest raked in last year.

Now, the question is, with Shrek 3 opening in two weeks and Pirates 3 the week after that, will Spidey keep that record?

Spider-Man will return for at least three more movies, its studio has said after the super-hero's third film broke North American box office records.

Sony Pictures chief executive Michael Lynton told the BBC: "Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on."

There would be "as many as we can make good stories for", he pledged.

Spider-Man 3 is now the most successful new release in history, making $148m (£74m) in its opening weekend.

That beat the previous best of $136m (£68m) set by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest last year.

He was "really over the moon" that it had done better than the first two instalments in the Spider-Man series, he said.

"I think it had a lot to do with timing - the fact we were the first out in the summer.

"I think it had to do with the fact that the movie had a universal appeal, it had a broader appeal than the second movie, it attracted a family audience and brought the family audience back.

"There were many factors that contributed to it, and there's a part that you just put down to 'I don't know'."

PREVIOUS FIRST-WEEKEND RECORD HOLDERS

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - $136m (2006)

Spider-Man - $115m (2002)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - $90m (2001)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - $72m (1997)

Batman Forever - $53m (1995)

Source: Boxofficemojo.com

There has been much speculation about the big screen super-hero's future, but Mr Lynton said the weekend figures gave them a major reason to keep the franchise alive.

"Everybody's been so busy trying to get this one out that that's been the focus," he said. "When everybody comes up for air, we can think about how to make the next one."

The third Spider-Man film sees Peter Parker, played by Tobey Maguire, battle the darker side of his personality and try to hold on to his love interest Mary Jane Watson, played by Kirsten Dunst.

It may have received an enthusiastic reception from fans - but the critical response was less than glowing.

'Plain awful'

The Washington Post said the film was "plain awful", while The New York Post called it "overly long and complicated". But Mr Lynton said the reviews had made little difference.

"What uniformly seems to be the case it that the exit polls show that the audience really loved the movie, and that's what counts," he said.

Spider-Man's box office record will come under pressure later this month when two more "threequels" - the third Pirates of the Caribbean and Shrek films - come out.

Shrek the Third has its premiere in Los Angeles on Sunday, two weeks before its US release, while Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is released one week later.

The original Spider-Man film, released five years ago, took $115m (£58m) in its opening weekend - and is still third on the all-time new release chart, according to expert ticket site boxofficemojo.com.

The follow-up, which came out in 2004, had relatively paltry first-weekend takings of $88m (£44m).

Yeah, so as it stands there's three more to be done at least.