The Gold Cup

Guest Ringmaster

Guest Ringo Masterson

So the Gold Cup kicks off today and Beatnik and I need a thread to slag off various teams/players :shifty:.

Seriously, though, Canada vs. Costa Rica's on Sportsnet in 30 (in fact, all Canada games will be on Sportsnet). If Canada get through this, they'll cakewalk into the play-offs, given that our next opposition's Guadeloupe and Haiti.

So, discuss :shifty:

Edited by Ringo Masterson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't even know who's on our squad, besides Onstad. I suck.

*looks up roster*

It's startlingly similar to my Canada selections in FM. This can't be good.

I am pretty sure that we arent even getting any of the games other then on Fox SOccer Channel here in the US so unless they decided to show the game on one of the Espns I am going to miss the Gold Cup. Atleast I have Copa America to look for which starts like a week after the Gold Cup and actually involves quality teams.

I saw parts of it. Canada winning is good, especially since their group looks like shit. Not that I am any sort of soccer expert, but I just assume the other two teams suck.

DeGuz, Friend, Atiba and D-Ro were all wonderful today. In fact, upfront they were pretty much wonderful. The back line was predictably shaky, but not as bad as they could have been and at least Costa Rica didn't really make them pay. However, the announcing was ungodly. By about the 5th time they called Martin Nash "Steve", or latinized names that ought not to be latinized (they did it to "Toronto". Seriously), or called corner kicks "fouls" I was ready to tear my hair out. I understand that they couldn't get Craig Forrest and Gerry Dobson (who were off announcing TFC/NY Red Bulls), but Christ, the TLN Soccer Fanatics would have done a better fucking job. It's not like they were even calling the game live; you could tell it was from a studio.

Guest Ringo Masterson

Haiti/Guadeloupe was surprisingly fun, mainly 'cause the defenders were horrid and it was just flowing end-to-end stuff. Guadeloupe's players are also in their 40s, including 42 year old Jocelyn Angloma, who FIFA gave permission to play for Guadeloupe because they're not a real country. The announcers kept going mad for him though, those tools.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

DeGuz, Friend, Atiba and D-Ro were all wonderful today. In fact, upfront they were pretty much wonderful. The back line was predictably shaky, but not as bad as they could have been and at least Costa Rica didn't really make them pay. However, the announcing was ungodly. By about the 5th time they called Martin Nash "Steve", or latinized names that ought not to be latinized (they did it to "Toronto". Seriously), or called corner kicks "fouls" I was ready to tear my hair out. I understand that they couldn't get Craig Forrest and Gerry Dobson (who were off announcing TFC/NY Red Bulls), but Christ, the TLN Soccer Fanatics would have done a better fucking job. It's not like they were even calling the game live; you could tell it was from a studio.

This is the ultimate football competition. :S

Who doesn't remember such delightful talents from Guadeloupe and Haiti, such as Jean-Jacques Pierre?

Edited by Lost Soul

Haiti/Guadeloupe was surprisingly fun, mainly 'cause the defenders were horrid and it was just flowing end-to-end stuff. Guadeloupe's players are also in their 40s, including 42 year old Jocelyn Angloma, who FIFA gave permission to play for Guadeloupe because they're not a real country. The announcers kept going mad for him though, those tools.

Jocelyn Angloma! :w00t: IIRC he was awesome in USM2.

Guest Ringo Masterson

US/Guatemala was a visual abomination. How the US didn't get a few more goals in, I'll never know. Just horrible, horrible stuff.

This thread should be dedicated to Angloma! He is what the Gold Cup is all about!

Plus Beartnic is updating me on how Canada are losing to Gadaloupe!

Canada's got no one to blame but themselves. Granted Guadeloupe has frustratingly good defence, but Canada had no flow up front at all. I missed the first 27 minutes of the second half, but I saw enough. Terrible effort, and they're going to have to bring better than that if they want to make it past the Group Stage.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Agreed with Beatnik...blame the officiating if you want, but all good officiating would have done was prolonged the inevitable. Canada figured they had an easy game, they were wrong, and they paid the price.

I havent been able to catch the US games so far since I dont havee FSC or any of the other channels that they are showing the Gold Cup on but I am glad that they beat T & T today and get through to the QF with goals from Johnson and Ching. I am hoping that we dont really have any problems till the Finals where we likely will be facing Mexico which should be another good match. Considering that it is another game on US soil if that were the eventual final I would like our chances against Mexico, but until we hopefully get to the finals I hope we have some strong games becasue from what I have been reading about the first two games is that we have had tons of easy chances and have squandered many of them.