Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

Replayng IX, damn it how can Black Waltz killed the Black Mage Dolls be so god damn hertbreaking? Damn you Nobuo :crying:

They would have just stopped anyways in time. He was doing them a favour.

I know its an old topic but i finished Final fantasy 13 last week and while it was enjoyable no question it felt like i was struggling to want to finish it. The start and End were great but it kinda sagged in places.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replayng IX, damn it how can Black Waltz killed the Black Mage Dolls be so god damn hertbreaking? Damn you Nobuo :crying:

You're going to die eventually...so can I just kill you now? I'll being doing you a favour.

The bits with the black mages are really good. I rag on FFIX a lot, but most of it has to do with the fact that I found everyone not named Vivi and Steiner in the party absolutely insufferable, the major villain dull, and the "Quickly, Zidane, go to this city OH SHIT IT'S BEING DESTROYED" plot of the first fifty-eight zillion hours interminable. Everything with the black mages involved is spectacular. I wish they'd transplant that stuff into a better game.

I love FFIX, and often cite it as one of my favourites - it was the last game in the series to really hold my interest, and really felt to me like something of a love letter to the series' past, as it was full of in-jokes and references, and since then the franchise seems to have changed almost beyond recognition and, in my eyes, really gone downhill. I'll be the first to admit, though, that the story is one of the weakest in recent years - as you say, it's repetitive, and many of the characters are barely fleshed out at all. Hell, even the central character barely has a raison d'etre until two thirds of the way through.

That said, though, I love it for the genuine affection it seemed to approach the series with, for the sense of fun that had been sorely missing from the vast majority of FFVIII, for being one of the most fun to play, and for little touches like the Active Time Events, and the amount of time you got to spend playing as different characters, not just playing one mopey git all the time...it just really felt like there was a whole lot going on, and it fleshed things out, not so much in terms of the story, but just in terms of immersing you in the world itself.

The main character's almost pointless, the villains are utterly forgettable, and the story's dull, but it's just a hell of a lot of fun. Vivi and the Black Mages are the strongest part by far and, as I said earlier, the only thing in any Final Fantasy game to ever bring a tear to my eye - for "most" fans it's something like Aeris' death, or some big emotional scene, but to me it was just the naive optimism of the Black Mages slowly turning to a kind of confused fatalism, combined with the sheer terror and confusion that Vivi seemed to be constantly feeling at the world itself. The whole thing managed to be adorable and tragic at the same time, like a dead Ewok.

You're going to die eventually...so can I just kill you now? I'll being doing you a favour.

Are you a black waltz?

Edited by jocky

for "most" fans it's something like Aeris' death

I fucking loved Aeris's death. It meant the game would stop shoehorning her into my party.

Has anybody ever been ever to get her last limit break? It always seems impossible with the circumstances and all.

I could never understand it but I have always had this undying hatred for Aerith. She just seemed useless and I never spent any time on her.

Cant imagine you were too upset when she snuffed it then! :) Her healing wind saved me many times.

She killed the Demon Wall for me with an attack as my last ditch effort in my first play through and I had actually used her all through the first disc so when she died I was gutted. Not only did I lose a character that I really really liked, but I also lost one of the characters I had actually planned on using the entire game.

I was never a big fan of the Aeris character. She was weak in battles and pretty much prostituted herself in exchange for protection from Cloud at the start of the game. That was probably not the best introduction to the "sweet saviour" character she was supposed to be.

• 3 weeks later...

As my PC isn't capable of running it I think I'm going to pick it up for the PS3 and just send all of my internet to it whenever I play it so to avoid the slowdown from splitting my connection with my computer. It'll be my first MMORPG but I figure if I'm going to try one out it might as well be a Final Fantasy one.

I think it's pretty good, but I know many here are not into the MMO thing. The battles are uninspiring pretty much (only soloed so far) and resemble 12 a lot more than XI did. In XI it was just hitting macros which it is here aswell, but I think as the levels progress it will have a lot more thought behind what is used. You don't just hit attack and watch it as you have to hit a button to even use your weapon now and there is a fatigue meter that if you keep mashing the button you will miss constantly that ties in with any abilities or magic aswell. It's totally different and a lot of people are not going to like the game id imagine, especially early on before there is a lot more content through updates.