Champions League Season 2007/2008

Herr Matzat

Before the match I said the two factors I thought would have a bearing would be Yaya Toure and the crowd. Toure's playing really well by the looks of it and the crowd are managing to influence decisions left, right and centre - which is to be expected just as much at Old Trafford.

Surprised Man Utd got that early penalty and they could definitely have used with scoring it. I thought when they missed it would be okay because I was expecting Man Utd to control a bit more but they're really struggling. Park isn't really up to this level, Hargreaves isn't a right back, Rooney looks lost on the right, Carrick is quite underwhelming and I'll never rate Wes Brown highly. However they're coping well without Vidic at the back.

They just need a bit more of creativity in the middle of the park. Scholes' experience is great, but later on I think they need to bring on someone with some pace and more creativity to get things going. Ronaldo needs to put that penalty behind him, the one that wasn't given too and get on with it.

I expect Man Utd to go through in the fixture, but there not doing themselves many favours at the minute.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going on the "if you'd have been offered 0-0 to begin with, would you have taken it?" thing, I would have. 0-0 at the Nou Camp is a good result. But I just think that with the two big chances we had to score an away goal, we might live to rue them next week.

If United had played like they did all night and created nothing, I wouldn't have been so disappointed, but the fact we've missed a penalty, and got onto the edge of the six-yard box with 3 players square of Carrick, I feel annoyed that we didn't get the away goal.

Next week will be a far more open game, as games at Old Trafford usually are, and I'll probably go as far as saying that I don't think either team will keep a clean sheet in the 2nd Leg, which is probably why the lack of a goal from us tonight is getting to me so much.

I'm still reasonably confident for next week, as we're at home, but again, restricting Barca to so little and missing two clear-cut chances is annoying.

I will say again that I am happy with the result, but again, know it could have been so much better.

Solid performance for Man Utd in the end I guess. Scholes played better in the end, I didn't think he was great at first but the second half he was solid and snuffed out most stuff that got to him. Still may have sacrificed him near the end in favour of pace.

Good to see Rooney come off. He's great but he was poor today and didn't deserve to see out the match. I don't think he's too effective out there and would rather he partnered Tevez up front with Ronaldo and Park on the wings. Still don't think Park should be playing at this level as I see him as more of a squad player.

Hargreaves didn't play too bad. He's not a right back and he showed it with some poor mistakes and stuff. He's more used to tackling 30 yards outside the area, as opposed to deep inside his own box so he could have easily given away a penalty.

Carrick was underwhelming, but I'm not a massive fan of his anyways. But I thought Scholes and Hargreaves were better as the game went on.

The performance was very dull, but the result was a good one.

The "outrage" of some United fans is annoying. It's fair to expect the team to play attacking football, but surely you should be able to appreciate a good, professional, defensive performance away from home once in a while.

Edited by Lord Nibbler

Barca were so shit. United were ok, but it took a wondergoal to get them through.

Cue the British media to go "WE 'AVE THE BEST FOOTY IN THE WORLD, WE DO"

Most moves for Barcelona go through Yaya it seems. Anyone knows punting a ball long to a good striker won't work, someone with a bit of pace, craft and vision on the ball will give the strikers better opportunities.

So... yeah. In a sense he's a goal threat because if Barcelona were to score I'd wager it'd go through Yaya, as opposed to him actually scoring the goal himself.

Fuck me, did I ever hurt my knee celebrating that goal!

Brilliant performance. Everyone was awesome but Tevez, Park and Brown put in their performances of the season. I'd love to see how much ground he actually covered.

I know everyone anti-united will claim Barca were poor and they weren't at their best, I admit. But we didn't let them play at all... Everyone battled like it was the final itself. Now to beat West Ham on Saturday and watch Chelsea lose at Newcastle.

Roll on Moscow!

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Barca were so shit. United were ok, but it took a wondergoal to get them through.

Cue the British media to go "WE 'AVE THE BEST FOOTY IN THE WORLD, WE DO"

So what if they do? England are close to having the best football in the world, so stop fucking complaining about the media. In terms of Europe, we've got near on the best overall football clubs, so stop crying about what the media are going to say.

As for the game, really good one. Scholes goal was amazing, something he deserved as well. I've moaned about Brown all season yet he played brilliant tonight, same with Tevez as well, fantastic hard work. Ronaldo did close to fuck all. I know he played well as a team player tonight, but he still didn't deliver like everybody wanted and expected, way too much hype and pressure on him.

Hopefully United/Liverpool final, potential to be the best I've ever witnessed.

Edited by Dirty Johnny 27

I doubt there was that much pressure on Ronaldo surely? I mean, there was a huge chance he was going to go missing in that kind of match. He needs to perform in the final because he'll make Man Utd look in a different class, if he doesn't - chances are Man Utd will labour to a victory providing the team doesn't suck as a whole.

And I'd much rather the media went crazy about us having the best leagues in the world, something that is true, than something completely irrelevant and false. At least this is somewhat productive from the media, as opposed to destructive like normal.