August PPV Poster Contest

dwsnuk's Scores

Sam_Van_619 - 4/10

Quite amateurish, font doesn't suit and colour makes it difficult to read. Good positioning but it doesn't really fell like a real poster which is what you need to aim for.

destroyed - 6/10

The cut stands out a bit too much and the lack of information irks me. Bit different with the colour scheme but I like that.

nufan - 3/10

Rain effect is too prominent, text is very poor. Logo's a bit blurry and I don't like the way the text covers Triple H's face in the bg.

shrixnani - 2/10

To be honest there's not much positive to say, it needs a lot of work to get it better. Better than nothing, though.

thebiggoose - 4/10

Unique to say the least but I'm not keen on it. I'd have preferred an actual logo for the event rather than just text and it's rather plain. Nice idea, could have been done better.

new_era - 5/10

Good positioning, background pictures take too much focus away from the main Triple H cut I think. Text could be better and again, a lack of information. Not a bad effort, though.

Evansfan1 - 6/10

Bg is pretty cool and the colours on the logo are a nice change if a little out of place. I like the positioning and even the text but I dislike that the event name isn't actually on the poster. Would look better if the colour scheme were more restricted as well, there's a lot of colours bouncing around.

Evil Empire - 6/10

The top part of the poster is great, the bottom part not bad but the middle lets it down in my opinion. Nice text but the lack of one main focal point brings it down.

The Trouble King - 6/10

The top half of the poster is brilliant but the bottom half just isn't up to the same standard. And that really lets it down in my opinion, this could have been very good.

619 fan - 5/10

This has been put together well but I would say it needs a WWE logo and the show logos to make it seem more real. Solid effort but not enough to get more than a 5 from me.

- Matt - - 5/10

Pics are blended into the background well, text isn't fantastic but it's not bad either. Main cut could be smoother around the edges and the red eyes don't do anything for me.

Gene Kiniski - 6/10

I'm not sure what's going on here, it's a weird effect and I'm not that keen on it to be honest. This gets a 6, though, because the layout and bottom half of the poster are very good.

kempay - 8/10

Very good as always, perhaps a little over the top with the light effects but the blending and text are excellent. The big black space between the top and the main part of the poster is too detracting, though.

Jimmy the Exploder - 7/10

Simple but it has a great feel to it. The only things missing really are the usual information that goes with it.

--

Ignition's Scores

Sam Van 619 - 4/10

- Quite choppy, a nice overall feel but lots of room for improvement.

Destroyed - 6/10

- The HHH is a psd and it doesn't fit in well with the background. Try and adjust the colours/hue/etc.

Nufan - 6/10

- The effect works well on the main cut, but it makes the background look weird. Nice setup overall, but the text is lacking.

Shrixnani - 3/10

- A couple of good psds in there, but there's nothing at all that stands out for me. The text could be better and a bad choice for the summerslam logo.

thebiggoose - 7/10

Very nice set up, it all fits together well but the text could be improved and it doesn't have the logo on it.

new era - 6/10

- Nice main psd and not a bad effect for the background cuts. Good effort to make the text look similar to the logo as well.

Evansfan1 - 7/10

It would be a really good poster if you left the cut in the background out as that totally ruins it 100%. The rest is very good.

Evil Empire - 6/10

- Great effect at the top of the poster, very nice. It just feels too cramped though and the text could be improved.

The Trouble King - 7.5/10

- Great logo and background. The cut works, but needs some tweaking imo. The text could be improved as the text doesn't match the poster at all.

619 fan - 7/10

- Nice and simple. I think you lost half a point from me because of the fonts used and main cut of Rey should of been adjusted slightly to fit in better with the poster.

-Matt- 7.5/10

- it's obviously great in graphical terms, but there's something that I can't quite put my finger on which makes it not quite work. It's a bit cramped and the text takes away from it a lot. I think for the poster design you should have tried to do something with the logo to make it seem more sinister as the text+logo don't fit the cut and background at all.

Gene Kinisky - 4/10

- I think you tried to do too much. It doesn't work too well, but the text is quite well done.

kempay - 8.5/10

- very nicely done poster. I think the summerslam logo could have been done a little better, but for the most part it fits together well. the text at the top of the poster is a perfect example of good text as well. I think the text at the bottom could have done with moving down a couple of pixels.

Jimmy The Exploder - 7.5/10

- A nice poster but there isn't enough to grab my attention like posters are supposed to. I think the lack of a main cut or more going on in the background are the reason for this.

--

Dragsy's Scores

Sam_Van_619 - 2/10

The logo placement would be alright, if the cuts didn't obscure 90% of the text, making this look hideously unprofessional. Textwise, the slogan isn't bad, but the font really doesn't go with the whole party vibe of Summerslam. I like how Batista is looking up to Khali, reinforcing the tagline. But the background is relatively plain, the colours are weak and it's cluttered. Sorry, but this just smacks of being knocked up in MS Paint.

destroyed - 6/10

I was almost really impressed with this, until it came to light that the photomanip was a WWE creation. I like the tagline, it fits in with the actual promos WWE ran, and the simplicity of the whole graphic works well in engaging interest for the event. However, the logo doesn't stand out nearly enough, and although the background is good, it doesn't fit with the happy, sunny party vibe of Summerslam.

nufan - 5/10

In terms of colour scheme, this is the best so far, the logo stands out and is in a nice, interesting position. The slogan text sort of blends in with the background a little too much. Not a bad choice of font though, and although punny, the tagline isn't bad. I hate the rain effect though (SUMMERslam, fool!) and the right hand background cut bothers me for some reason that I can't pinpoint. And I'm not so keen on the main cut having its head lopped off at the top, looks daft.

shrixnani - 1/10

Firstly, this should be DQ'd as it doesn't comply with the rules (concerning the listed themes), but it's hardly going to be threatening the podium with workmanship like this. The logo cut is horrible, do yourself a favour, and look up a tutorial, or just use pre-cut PSDs, everyone else does. And something should stand out, typically it's the logo, but you've made a dog's dinner of that, so maybes the cuts should be more prominent, rather than fuzzy pieces of shit. The text is straight from 1998 or something, and the tagline implies that Rey and Trips are a tag team. Just a complete failure here, I can't even see what you were trying to go for. Unless you've succeeded in replicating what you saw in your mind's eye. In which case I suggest taking a fork to your mind's eye and never going near Photoshop ever again.

thebiggoose - 6/10

I like this, it looks relatively realistic, but there's a couple of things keeping me from marking this higher. Firstly, what's the name of the event? Oh, right it's tucked around Rey's neck (not a fan of that idea either). The name of the event needs to be more prominent. I like the rest of the text, although the tagline is perhaps a little weak. Nice how the font and that emphasises what the text actually says though. Also, the infobar at the top is a good idea, but it really should be at the bottom, and not cutting off Rey's head. I'd like a bit more colour to the poster as a whole with it being Summerslam, but otherwise, this is a solid effort.

new_era - 3/10

Cuts on a black background isn't enough for a poster unless you have something striking, like thebiggoose had. There's too much stuff fighting for attention for that kind of thing to work here. And Trips loosk like a pig in the right hand cut, although I guess some people might pay to see a pig wrestle. Nice try having a full colour cut to take the attention, but with it being obscured by the logo (which just doesn't look right all orange and yellow, the S should stand out more), and having an equally large cut in the centre, it doesn't work. The tagline, font and effects are hardly imaginative, although I guess the Terminator thing kinda links up with the 6 Million Dollar Man schtick. Kinda.

Evansfan1 - 6/10

Well, it captures the summer theme well. And although Triple H would make an awesome Poseidon, that cut coming out of the water just doesn't work, it's too blurry. Maybe if that was the focus, and there was no cut in the bottom right, it'd be awesome but as it is it's just so-so. Like the idea though. The logo one of the best so far, although the muted colours kind of clash with the background picture. Still, it stands out and catches the eye, which is what it's supposed to do. The tagline is quality, although the font doesn't really fit, and it could use more of an effect to make it fit with the rest of the graphic. Lose the lower cut and tidy everything else up and this would've been an 8, maybe 8 and a half.

Evil Empire - 7/10

Love the logo, with the sunbeams and all, it really works well. The Party is over thing is pretty good, but Trips looks out of place, maybe if his face took up the whole graphic with some translucency it'd be a bit better. Still, the background sets the scene well, and the text is nice (tagline is weak though). Nice touch of realism with the brand logos and the WWE presents stuff, too.

The Trouble King - 5.5/10

It's Summerslam, not Judgement Day. And I love grunge as much as the next guy (possibly too much if you've seen some of the stuff I come up with), but it's really out of palce here. Still, I like the effect and the cut and palcement, steals the focus well. The logo should be more prominent however, and the colour schemes clash. The text placement is well done however, and the simple font and effects work. Tagline is spot on. So yeah, if the background stuff was more blue/green/yellow and less grungey, this'd be ace. As it is, it's average.

619 fan - 8/10

I really love this, much better with the scanlines. The text is nice and clear, and although there's no slogan, it works because it's not as cluttered as some other entries. The cut in the front steals attention well, and the aerial thing in the background looks ace, really lets you know what Rey is about. If anything, I could say this isn't very summery, the presenting text is a little unclear and there should really be a WWE logo on here somewhere. But still, great effort.

-Matt- - 3/10

Way too busy. And the red eyes ruin it. The title being gold looks odd, and doesn't work because he's not a returning champion or anything. I assume that's a sledgehammer and not a lightsabre he's wielding? It all just looks so cluttered and messed up, I can't really work out what's going on. I guess the text is alright, and the tagline works. Logo and info looks good and positioned well. But it's not enough.

Gene Kiniski - 1/10

Alien cumshot? WTF.

kempay - 8.5/10

The only thing I can see wrong with this is the hamster mouth Trips ahs going on on the left hand side. The colourscheme is excellent, the grunge isn't overdone. Doesn't fit the typical summery party vibe of SS, but the graphical quality makes up for it. Good prominent logo and tagline. If anything, there's a little too much black in the top corner, but I lvoe the silhouette idea, and I can't see much else wrong with this.

Jimmy The Exploder - 7/10

Love the effect with the spotlight and silhouette. Background is awesome. Nice simple text and tagline, but it's a little too bland for a promo poster. Perhaps if the text/logo was in colour it'd work better, but as it is, although the logo effect looks good, it's not quite enough.

--

Overall Scores

kempay - 25

Jimmy the Exploder - 21.5

619 fan - 20

Evansfan1 - 19

Evil Empire - 19

The Trouble King - 19

destroyed - 18

thebiggoose - 17

-Matt- - 15.5

nufan - 14

new_era - 14

Gene Kiniski - 11

Sam_Van_619 - 10

shrixnani - 6

Congratulations to kempay who wins the August competition by 3.5 points. Jimmy the Exploder and 619 fan finish 2nd & 3rd respectively. Thanks to everyone who entered (Y)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for getting the scores up so quickly and thanks for the constructive critisism, only thing i have to say is the rain effect was on mine becasue of the tag line i gave it "Reign on the parade" making it an oxymoron because it was indeed summerslam

thanks again looking forward to next contest

Whoa,

I won?

Sweet.. I did that poster out of boredom, and I just saw the replies that there was some problems with the poster. I do agree with Triple H's teeth being way too white, I didn't even notice that.

But once again, that's sweet that I won, and congrats to the rest though, there was some good entries!

Can't wait for the next one.