Film industry ratings controversy

ROC

PG-13 Today Was an R Yesterday, Says Study

The MPAA ratings board over the past decade has relaxed its standards in judging films for violence and sex, according to a study by the Harvard School of Public Health. The study, released on Tuesday, described a "ratings creep" in which current films that are rated PG or PG-13 are being released with more sexual or violent content than films with the same ratings ten years ago. "The MPAA appears to tolerate increasingly more extreme content in any given age-based rating category over time," the study said. It went on to call for an overhaul of the ratings system and suggested that whatever system emerges, it apply to all forms of entertainment, including music, home video, and games. However, MPAA spokesman Rich Taylor told today's (Wednesday) New York Times: "A single body can't rate everything that comes through the pipeline. ... It's logistically unfeasible. With the volume of hours of TV and cable and film and games and music, it becomes a mathematical impossibility."

OH MY GOD A MORE TOLERANT SOCIETY

WITCHHUNT WITCHHUNT WITCHHUNT

i hate the stupid ratings system anyways. I've been watching violent movies since i was like 4 or 5 and look how i turned out. Its not like im a complete psycho and have hundreds of bodies in my basement or something......:shifty:

I can hear a movie made aobut the ratings sytems, with a Cate Blanchett narration at the begining....

"There were the ratings for the music, great works that provided poetry to the masses."

"And for the video games, that provided Men with entertainment beyond belief."

"And ratings for the movie industry, which desired power above all else..."

"But the ratings decieved them. In the fires of Mt. Doom, they made one master Rating. One Rating to Rule them All!!!!"

Okay, that was dumb.

I remember just a few months back, a movie theater wanted to issue "R" cards to children under 17 so they could see the movies. Their parents had to come in and pay a small charge and sign a form, and then the kids could see whatever. The head of the MPAA hated the idea because he said "this sets a dangerous precedent. Not all R-Rated movies are the same." And that really put the whole MPAA ratings system into perspective for me; if all R-rated movies are different, what's the fucking poing of the ratings?

banhim.jpg

ratings suck and are inaccurate

my example:

Scary Movie 1 and 2-R

Scary Movie 3-PG13

WTF are you saying ban him at>?

The ratings systems are a joke these days. It should be judged by common sense, if you think you kid is gonna lie and go see a violent movie, buy there ticket for them. If you think a movie has too much sexual content then don't see it. Jesus.

I see nothing wrong with ratings in reality. They make it easier for people to know the content of the movie. Well, not really. That's what they should be done for. I personally am up to a chart like this:

Sex - Moderate

Violence- Serious

Language- Serious

That way, if you are fine with your kid seeing lots of violence and language you can go ahead and let them see the movie.