Saddest Songs You've Ever Heard

slain

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, what the hey, let's roll on with some more:

-A Perfect Circle's "3 Libras" and "A Stranger"...also, The Section Quartet's cover of "3 Libras" is very well done and conveys the emotion quite strongly.

-Speaking of TSQ, may I also suggest their version of Incubus' "Mexico". The original isn't quite sad, per se, but the string version done here really hammers home that disappointment and sadness when you realize that someone is too egotistical to save.

-The Beatles' "Elanor Rigby" -- can't believe I missed this one earlier.

Guest Basquiat

Agreed with Skummy on "Famous Blue Raincoat." I think Cohen's "Alexandra Leaving" is pretty damned sad, too; in fact, Ten New Songs is just a downer all around, and I think it's the most compelling of Cohen's late-career work, even if his voice was all but gone by this point.

I like folksy music (I can feel my credibility circling the drain as we speak!), and Patty Griffin's "Trapeze" and "Making Pies" are two of the saddest songs I've ever heard--the latter in particular, since it deals with a lonely widow. I love one of the last lines: "You could cry or die or just make pies all day."

The absolute saddest song I think I've ever heard is "Man of the Hour" by Pearl Jam, which is played during the closing credits of Big Fish, but that may just be how much I love that movie.

"Go Rest High On That Mountain" by Vince Gill...when I was 7 (11 years ago), they played that song at my father's funeral and it's carved in his headstone...everytime I hear that (doesn't matter where I am), I just starting crying like crazy

Whoever mentioned Modest Mouse's "World At Large" gets another vote from me. It gets me emotional and maybe a bit teary-eyed at times, but not exactly sad with things. Xiu Xiu's "I Luv The Valley OH!" has a similar effect on me as well.

I find a lot of stuff that Explosions In The Sky write kind of melancholic and depressive, especially the soundtrack they did for Friday Night Lights and their album "All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone".

Moonsorrow's "Sankaritarina" is epicly sad for me as well.

Whoever mentioned Modest Mouse's "World At Large" gets another vote from me. It gets me emotional and maybe a bit teary-eyed at times, but not exactly sad with things.

That is one thing that I am impressed with about Modest Mouse. They can do the typical "relationship trouble" ballads ("Little Motel", et al.), but then they can just take that sentiment and convey it from such varied points of view and with different vibes, almost to the point of you not really even realizing the parallels.

'Forget Her' - Jeff Buckley

'Where Is My Love?' & 'Hate' - Cat Power

'Lost' - The Cure

'Friend Of A Friend' - Foo Fighters

'Blue Would Be Blue' - Guillemots

'Mexico' - Incubus

'Disintegration' - Jimmy Eat World

'Control' - John Frusciante

'Apparitions' - Matthew Good

'I'm Not Sorry' - Morrissey

'A Warm Place', 'Hurt', 'Right Where It Belongs' and 'Zero Sum' - Nine Inch Nails

'Nothing As It Seems' - Pearl Jam

'3 Libras' - APC

'This Place Is A Prison' - The Postal Service

'How To Disappear Completely', 'Exit Music (For A Film)' and 'Fake Plastic Trees' - Radiohead

'I Could Have Lied' - RHCP

'The Heretic' - The Sound Of Animals Fighting

'Going Going Gone' - Stars

'John Wayne Gacy Jr.' and 'To Be Alone With You' - Sufjan Stevens

'Blue Valentines' - Tom Waits

Not sure if 'sad' is the right word for some of them, but they get me going in a downward way.

Also, I can't remember the name of it but that Placebo song where the chorus goes "Do do do do do doooo dooo dooo".

By chance is it Running Up That Hill? Some of the words are "If I only could, make a deal with God, get him to switch our places" in that song and I fucking love it. It was featured in The OC.

I'll definitely second most of MDB's discography. Especially the album Turn Loose The Swans, with songs like The Crown of Sympathy.

No Woman, No Cry(Marley) and Come Up and See Me(Make Me Smile)(Cockney Rebels) are two songs that hit me 'cause they bring back some bad memories.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here always has an effect on me, though I wouldn't call it sadness, it just kind of grabs hold of me and I get sucked into the song for the duration. I will second(third?) Jeff Buckely - Hallelujah, definately one of the most emotional songs and one that I cant help but feel something when I listen to it.

Another that fits into the whole "not exactly sad" category for me is The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize. Its just brutally to the point "Do you realize

That everyone you know someday will die?" I mean, with a lyric like that, it still manages to be more like a feel good song than a depressing tune, so maybe it doesnt quite fit into this thread.

Death By Stereo - Forever And A Day

Mercenary - Lost Reality

Black Label Society - The Last Goodbye

Armageddon - Well of Sadness

Zakk Wylde - Too Numb To Cry

Masterplan - After This War (cheesy but still pretty sad)

Mudvayne - World So Cold

Taproot - Birthday (Mostly just the chorus)

Edited by Bloodbath