Sept. 11th, give the hip-hop game chemotherapy

Lowerdeck

50 Cent: I'll quit if outsold by West

Fri Aug 10, 9:56 PM ET

NEW YORK - 50 Cent believes his new album will outsell Kanye West's upcoming disc, and he's betting his solo career on it. Both 50 Cent and West have albums due out Sept. 11. 50 Cent, who has sold better than West, has been riled by forecasts that sales of West's "Graduation" could rival those for his "Curtis" CD.

"Let's raise the stakes," the 31-year-old rapper told hip-hop Web site SOHH.com in an interview posted Friday. I'"If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11,ll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums."

An e-mail sent to West's publicist wasn't immediately returned Friday.

50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis James Jackson, has been publicly disparaging of West before. In 2005, he suggested the 29-year-old rapper's popularity was only possible because of 50's own success.

But they recently collaborated in the studio. Their work, though, isn't scheduled to appear on either new album.

50 Cent's last full-length solo album, "The Massacre," was the best-selling disc of 2005 and sold more than 1.14 million copies in its first week of release. The same year, West's "Late Registration" opened by selling more than 860,000 copies in its first week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070811/ap_en_mu/people50_cent

Now if only these southern talentless bitches can follow 50's lead. 50 Cent was the first major cancer cell to the rap game, giving the industry chemotherapy is needed.

The first couple singles on Graduation sound solid anyway. I'm really liking "Stronger"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one I have issues with there is Chamillionaire, he's leagues better than the rest you named. It's funny what success does to people, because I remember two years ago in 2005 everyone on the hip-hop forums I go to was creaming over Cham and going OMG NEXT BIG THING and now that he.. is, they've started in on the OMG WTF CHAM IS WACK junk.

This is just an example of one man not thinking before he speaks.

50 Cent is obviously just talking trash, I'd seriously doubt he'd follow through for a long amount of time even.

Plus, I'm thinking Kanye West has a pretty good chance of outselling with the next album.

The only one I have issues with there is Chamillionaire, he's leagues better than the rest you named. It's funny what success does to people, because I remember two years ago in 2005 everyone on the hip-hop forums I go to was creaming over Cham and going OMG NEXT BIG THING and now that he.. is, they've started in on the OMG WTF CHAM IS WACK junk.

..and 'cause of Krazyie Bone...:shifty:

Ya' know, I wouldn't say that he's a cancer to the rap industry, as pretty a majority of the major rap artists these days are cancers, even more so than him, that I don't know. I guess I'm not on the 50 hate wagon as much as some people. I can see why people would dislike him, but I could easily name more annoying rappers these days.

Edited by Rumors of War

..and 'cause of Krazyie Bone...:shifty:

Ya' know, I wouldn't say that he's a cancer to the rap industry, as pretty a majority of the major rap artists these days are cancers, even more so than him, that I don't know. I guess I'm not on the 50 hate wagon as much as some people. I can see why people would dislike him, but I could easily name more annoying rappers these days.

There's far worse. The question is, was 50 one of the first cancer cells to let the rapid degeneration of the genre happen leading to pricks like T-Pain and the trend of the month.

That doesn't just happen with rap. It happens with all kinds of music. For a lot of people, as soon as records or artists start getting popular and shit, everyone who was a fan before throws a fit. One of the biggest I saw was Nirvana. They were considered gods by people before Nevermind came out, but once that album came out and Kurt started getting popular, a lot of people began calling them over-rated. I use them because they're one of my favourite bands, but there are other examples.

As for this topic, I wouldn't really buy either album. Get Rich Or Die Tryin' was solid but anything after has been complete shit from 50. He's gone for the club type stuff or marketted towards women with shit like Candy Shop and Window Shopper. They were complete shit. I haven't heard a lot of Kanye though I did enjoy his "Jesus Walks" song.

Its a shame really, when 50 Cent was creating his buzz with mixtapes a few years back, he was a reasonable rapper. Now he's just a bit lazy and all about hype.

A lot of the tracks on that Sony album that got shelved are fucking ace tracks, like why the fuck can't you put out another Ghetto Qu'ran? Why the fuck are you Window & Candy Shopping?

I haven't heard his new album but it's back to a lot of Dre, Em & Timbaland produced stuff so at least if anything it should have some good beats. "I Get Money" is catchy, but wears thin after a few listens.

Can't they both just quit? I'd really approve of that. I don't think either add anything to hip-hop. 50 is just pretty bad all around, but Kanye does the exact same type of production in every song and is an abysmal MC.

Also, Cham is pretty talented, but he unfortunately hasn't really gotten a chance to show it off much to mainstream audiences.

Edited by damshow