BIOSHOCK DEMO RELEASED!

abundant

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Streetdated games are shipped about a week in advance, while every other game ships on its shipdate. BioShock is streetdated for 8/21, so it’s shipping now. Stranglehold, for example, has a shipdate of 8/27, so that’s when it ships. Once a store receives Stranglehold, they can sell it. Once stores receive BioShock, they can’t sell it until 8/21.

No multiplayer makes me sad. I mean, I know it doesn't fit in with the story in the least, but it's so ridiculously badass that I'm kinda sad I'm not going to get to light somebody's ass up on XBL.

Let's hope they'll add that in as a downloadable extra, or maybe they'll MGS it and release an "update" game that has it.

Right now BioShock is poised to be not only Game of the Year, but one of the best games ever. It’s received perfect scores from 9 reviews out of 13 total. Every review states that it’s a classic, must play game with deep game play, excellent story, perfect atmosphere, great characters, basically everything that a true classic game needs, BioShock achieves. Although Halo 3, Mass Effect, and SMG will undoubtedly be great games, at this rate, I see nothing touching BioShock this year.

Edited by abundant

From someone who generally despises first-person shooters...this game actually does reinvent the genre. Insomniac, in my opinion, is now *at least* on par with Square Enix or Blizzard in terms of the best game development companies.

There is no better feeling than to know you've out-smarted the opposition. This feeling is multiplied a hundred fold when you manage to take out a Big Daddy with brains rather than bullets.

I may try to write up a bit more detailed shindig on this game, but above all else, know that this is the deepest FPS ever made. Not to say it's the best overall (or could even stand up to numerous replays), but for a first-time experience, there is no better FPS.

From someone who generally despises first-person shooters...this game actually does reinvent the genre. Insomniac, in my opinion, is now *at least* on par with Square Enix or Blizzard in terms of the best game development companies.

There is no better feeling than to know you've out-smarted the opposition. This feeling is multiplied a hundred fold when you manage to take out a Big Daddy with brains rather than bullets.

I may try to write up a bit more detailed shindig on this game, but above all else, know that this is the deepest FPS ever made. Not to say it's the best overall (or could even stand up to numerous replays), but for a first-time experience, there is no better FPS.

So yeah. Bioshock is awesome. I thought it was just going to be some sort of Deus Ex rip off, with the plasmid type "ugrades" but it's an entirely different beast altogether. I haven't gotten that much further than the demo, still yet to fight my first BIg Daddy, but the atmosphere so far makes the game. If there wasn't so much detail in even the most remote of corridors it'd just be another gimmicky shooter, but the atmosphere has you almost constantly thinking "what the fuck next". Setting someone on fire so they immediately run to the nearest pool of water, just so you could electrocute them the instant they douse themselves is way more fun that it should be. It's entirely unnecessary, and kinda elaborate the traps you can set up, but it makes it so much more fun than just using your guns.

People throw aroud terms like gam of the year way too much, but Halo 3 doesn't interest me at all, and so far haven't seen much of Mass Effect, so Bioshock gets a big thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

So, I love how you can randomly find Big Daddies wandering about. Anyone see the one outside, underwater yet? Hardly a spoiler, as he doesn't do anything besides wander back and fourth

Edited by Maxx

Insider tip: If you're short one little sister, and you see a Big Daddy walking about without one, follow him; they always go to a little sister deployment hole and summon one if they don't have one. (This gets mildly amusing when there aren't any left; follow one after you've harvested/rescued them all and watch)

To be fair, they're releasing a patch for the PC version that will fix the widescreen problems and the Steam integration. For the record, Steam sucks.

That said...damn at some of the audio diaries. There are two that strike me:

1. The one where the surgeon continually cuts into the patient, despite the nurse screaming at him to stop.

2. The doctor forcing the little kid to break the puppy's neck. Demented as hell.

I got my special edition on it's way. Although it may take until the 6th of September to get here. *grits teeth*

At least it will keep my mind off of Halo 3 for about twenty days.

Although, on the brightside, I got the special edition for the same price as they're selling the normal one. :D

Edited by The Kraig