NHL 08 Vs. NHL 2K8

HeyThereVelvet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to practice mixing up my attacks. though I forget how many minute periods I was playing on and I had well over 70 hits (probably doesn't say much about my defense).

Any tips on shoot outs? I can never score on those (after being tied in the OT period).

Edited by CQI13

Poke checking is a lot more efective than in earlier games, and if you utilise it properly rather than playing human dodgems, you should see a reduction in the hits statistic.

Shootouts I don't have much trouble with, just mix up where you're aiming, try and draw the goalie one side and flick the puck to the opposite side. Faking him out is usually pretty effective too.

I was excited about the team specific masks and selection on Xbox... but the PS2 version had a lot more custom masks.

The nine that are in the Xbox version are fine, I guess... but if they only wanted to have the 9, then it would have been nice if you could change the color scheme of the masks. As it stands, you can't even have a plain black mask.

That, and the european team masks are exclusive to those teams... you can't use them in edit player. I suppose that as a sucker for goalies, I was looking forward to a more extensive choice than we got... but whatever.

Just beat Calgary in the finals 4-1 to win the Cup. Sundin continued his tear throughout the whole playoffs, picking up the Conn Smythe with 23 goals and 14 assists. Man was on fucking fire.

Mats also picked up the Hart and Pearson. Kabby got the Norris and Tucker got the Selke. Nice season all around.

Edited by Clawson

• 3 weeks later...

I got 2K8 for X-mas and I'm having problems when I tap square to shoot(no matter who I shoot with) has a several second delay before actually winding uo and shooting. is there a way to fix this ?

I'm playing a franchise with the predators. I've been able to win 1 game so far. My biggest threat is Calgary. The first time I beat them they murdered me 5 to 0. I have to face them again ina few weeks and I'm grasping at straws as to what I need to do to try to get a win over them

I just noticed this in February of my season as the Habs... but do the players from the Swedish and Finnish leagues get put as Free Agents when you start a dynasty?

If so, that sucks balls... because that gives me nowhere to put retired players and duplicates (should I decide to create a team or two).

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an age old thread but this seems the best place to ask. I'm thinking about picking up NHL 08, but the last game I played from the NHL series was NHL 05 for the ps2 and I found it ridiculously frustrating. The majority of the times I tried to attack I got knocked over repeatedly by insane hits. Is it possible to have more time and space on this game (without it being too easy of course) and play an actual game of ice hockey on it?

As much as it pains me to say it, Ea done good with NHL 08, easily the best hockey game I've ever played. The right stick controls are genius, you can actually set up in the offensive zone now and cycle the puck and whatnot. The penalties aren't quite right (I've never ever seen a crosschecking call for example), the fighting sucks as usual, but other than that it's great. I just didn't get on with 2k8 after the demo, so I didn't bother with the full game.

NHL 08 needs more penalty calls against the computer, harder saucer passes, and some minor tweaks. Also, they need to fix some dynasty stuff. I've had the CPU sign guys at the end of the season for me that I wanted to let go off and I have no idea why.

:crying: ... I finished manually updating all the rosters after deadline day... and... and... now half the teams don't have any players anymore, and they're nowhere to be found... I have to reset all my rosters now, don't I?

After all that hard work, it's all going to be flushed. God dammit. There's gotta be a way for EA to figure out why it does that...and stop it from doing that. I know I'm not the only one who's experienced it, but this is the first it's happened to me, and I can't find any help on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks there was no roster update after the deadline, but I did it myself and started a franchise with Washington. Made a couple of trades so my lines go as follows:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kane

Semin-Fedorov-Toews

Cooke-Kozlov-Clark

Gordon-Steckel-Bradley

Kaberle-Eminger

Green-Poti

Stralman-Shultz

Kolzig

Huet

Or as I like to call it: 5 goals a game guaranteed.

I try to keep things fairly realistic. I won't trade for a player unless either he's been offered to me and I could use him to fill a hole I have, or I think he could honestly end up with my team in real life.

That said, I re-updated all the rosters, started a new dynasty as the Flames and I'm about 12 or 13 games in right now. I play all the AHL games too. It's tough, because I have four goalies in Quad City that I want to get playing time (McElhinney, Krahn, Keetley and Irving).

I haven't made any moves yet. The only thing that changes on my big club is that my third defense pairing consists of four guys who alternate in and out. The only D man with a two way deal is Phaneuf, and I don't want him in Quad City. I also don't want to lose any of my guys to Waivers, but later in the season, I'll take a look at contract status for my players and maybe make a move or two. I need defensemen in Quad City. I only have 5, so perhaps one of my NHL D-men for a couple prospects from someone else. That will probably be the extent of my movement in the first season.