Bands Who Should Have Cover Albums

Benji

We all know covers are only better than the original 1% of the time, sometimes they're even, usually they're worse, and covers albums are almost ALWAYS god damned awful, but which artists do you think would have some good modern artist covers?

Personally I'd love to see some mixed rap artists/rock musicians to combine and do a Run DMC covers album, their songs aren't 'untouchable' (they're classics, but not in the way that they couldn't be beaten) but are undoubtably awesome and would likely see some quality work done.

David Bowie. His work is amongst the best that a British artist has ever produced, yet he's never quite entered into the 'untouchable' pantheon. Hearing modern artists having a crack at Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, John I'm Only Dancing, Changes et al would be quite the experience.

I would like to hear a Richar Cheese-esque take on some Cannibal Corpse songs. The Chaser's War On Everything did it FANTASTIC in one of their skits, and I could really see a market for a cover album with tongue-in-cheek acts like Richard Cheese and Electric Six bringing in their takes on classic CC tracks.

Personally I'd love to see some mixed rap artists/rock musicians to combine and do a Run DMC covers album, their songs aren't 'untouchable' (they're classics, but not in the way that they couldn't be beaten) but are undoubtably awesome and would likely see some quality work done.

That would be cool. I could see Linkin Park or some people under the Fort Minor banner getting in on that. Shinoda is a big Run DMC fan. Maybe Beastie Boys. Hmm. Yeah, that would be awesome.

Who has covered Run DMC? I listened to the Bloodhound Gang doing It's Tricky this morning. It's pretty good.

I think Luciano Pavarotti is due a tribute album.

EDIT: seriously though. Rock bands doing opera would be interesting.

Without Google, name me some of his signature tunes, barely anyone really know his songs I'm betting (including me) except that 1990 World Cup song, and I don't even know the name of that. Not saying he's not worthy of an album, just the fact that you only bring it up because he died yesterday :P

And rock and opera have been putting their hands in each others pockets for quite some time, S&M, long before and after.

Well yeah, I only brought it up because he died. I must admit opera does sound all the same to me and the only song of his I'd actually be able to recognise is Nessun Dorma. Still it'd be interesting though. Something new to me at least. :P

Aye, no arguing there, though I think maybe what'd be more interesting than mashups is maybe someone doing mashups with his vocals and perhaps some original instrumentals.