2007 Rugby World Cup

Slogger

Hence why I said I'd shut up. :shifty:

I can watch the English football team and want them to win...all this man love for Wilkinson and the tiring way they play makes me want to see the rugby team lose. Cue more Welsh slatings. All will probably be correct...well done in advance.

I don't know why people whinge about the way we play. It's not beautiful rugby, sure, but it's excellent forward play, and acting as if it is anything but that does a large disservice to a very good forward line.

Our forwards have been excellent at stifling opponents. Even South Africa today couldn't use their explosive talismen to full effect. You have to play to your strengths, so England hassle the opposition, kick for territory and push from the midfield. It's clearly effective.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw it, we beat the French and we brushed the Aussies aside and we made the final ranked 7th in the world, losing by 9 points (should have been a few less due to the "try") to a team we got hammered 36-0 by a month ago. It's massively depressing to lose but right now I'd rather be English than Australian, Kiwi, Irish, Welsh, Scotch or French.

Screw it, we beat the French and we brushed the Aussies aside and we made the final ranked 7th in the world, losing by 9 points (should have been a few less due to the "try") to a team we got hammered 36-0 by a month ago. It's massively depressing to lose but right now I'd rather be English than Australian, Kiwi, Irish, Welsh, Scotch or French.
Edited by Dublin

I can watch the English football team and want them to win...all this man love for Wilkinson and the tiring way they play makes me want to see the rugby team lose. Cue more Welsh slatings. All will probably be correct...well done in advance.

I don't know why people whinge about the way we play. It's not beautiful rugby, sure, but it's excellent forward play, and acting as if it is anything but that does a large disservice to a very good forward line.

I'm not a huge rugby fan, but I like to watch a game of it; and I can honestly say that watching England play bores me sometimes. We're a good team, and we do what we need to do to win (except tonight, soz lol :shifty:), but there's nowt like watching teams like New Zealand, South Africa or even teams like France or Ireland play, it's so much more powerful and exciting.

I like to see England do well, but I'd of much rather seen an Australia/South Africa final, because it'd be such a better game of Rugby.

Now go ahead Engerlandmen, verbally throw things at me!

Would you rather be English than be Rum or Vodka too?

And the try should definately have been disallowed - the guy got to the corner and then dived. Scandalous behaviour. Steven Gerrard was berated for the same thing earlier in the day.

What are you on about? The marginal decision was purely based on whether the tip of the guys boot touched the line before it lifted, and if the knee scraped the line before he touched the ball down. It was pretty close, but to say what you said is a little bit amiss.

I'm not a huge rugby fan, but I like to watch a game of it; and I can honestly say that watching England play bores me sometimes. We're a good team, and we do what we need to do to win (except tonight, soz lol :shifty:), but there's nowt like watching teams like New Zealand, South Africa or even teams like France or Ireland play, it's so much more powerful and exciting.

I like to see England do well, but I'd of much rather seen an Australia/South Africa final, because it'd be such a better game of Rugby.

Now go ahead Engerlandmen, verbally throw things at me!

Oh, I know teams are better to watch than England, but that doesn't mean they don't play a technically good rugby game. The best I way I can look at it is Arsenal vs Blackburn in the FA Cup (IIRC), where although Arsenal probably should have won, Blackburn set out to defend and defended well. Sure, it wasn't pretty, but that doesn't take away from the defensive play they offered up. You play to your strengths, and although England do have players who can score tries, they aren't as explosive as some teams, and as we are defensively strong, penalties and drop goals are valuable.