• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Kookaburra' John Vanderslice

'Fake Palindromes' Andrew Bird

'Mango Tree' Angus and Julia Stone

'Heart it Races (Dr. Dog remix)' Architecture in Helsinki

'A Minor Place' Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

Anything by M. Ward

All of those are acoustic type songs though so it depends on your personal tastes.

Earth's Earth2 album, it doesn't get pimped enough but I guess I understand that because not everyone is into that style of music. I love, it, though. Songs like Seven Angels are awesome.

Pearl Jam's "Unemployable".

If we're talking about great tracks from the last record, I always dug "Army Reserve" a lot.

Same here. I think the self-titled album is where they finally found a balance of their indy mindset and mainstream popularity. Great effort.

Cloudy, would Earth be too far from pre-"City of Echoes" Pelican? Thinking about jumping in and listening to more of them, but just wanted to see if my hazy memory was correct.

I couldn't really tell you because I don't listen to Pelican. Earth2 only has three songs, one 15 minutes long, and two close to 30 minutes long.

I couldn't really tell you because I don't listen to Pelican. Earth2 only has three songs, one 15 minutes long, and two close to 30 minutes long.

hmmm....Pelican's last one, "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw" (hilarious name considering the guys look like they just finished raiding Goldshire) featured instrumentals from about four to ten minutes. Earth strikes me a bit more epic. If I can track them down, I'll give it a listen.

Man, a lot of shit here I need to listen to.

Having just discovered the mind blowing awesomeness of Dream Theater and Shadow Gallery (and prog metal in general) - I've got

Comfort Me - Shadow Gallery

But others:

Bitches 'Aint Shit - Ben Folds

3 Libras - A Perfect Circle

Bling - The Killers

Fidelity - Regina Spektor

And for a dose of needlessly cheerful

The Hardest Part - Coldplay

hmmm....Pelican's last one, "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw" (hilarious name considering the guys look like they just finished raiding Goldshire) featured instrumentals from about four to ten minutes. Earth strikes me a bit more epic. If I can track them down, I'll give it a listen.

Earth, from what I've heard of them, have a much more drone-like sound, though I've not heard that specific album. I'd say if you like Pelican, you wouldn't necessarily like Earth, but its worth a look.

Since people just seem to be throwing random songs out, I'll just give Pearl Jam's 'Ocean' a mention, as its vastly under-rated, compared to thier other stuff.

>_> I knew that

I stick by my recommendation of Bitches 'Aint Shit by Ben Folds. It's both romantic sounding and derogatory, and that's all it needs to be.

Hunger for the Great Light - Dave Matthews Band is good too

Edited by Misanthrope

Good 'fucking' bye by Alkaline Trio

Anything by Foo Fighters (not a song called Anything, just generally anything they've done)

Blink 182 - Girl at the Rock Show

Plus 44's entire album.

I walk the line by Johnny Cash

Mustang Sally

Any older music from Van Halen

Last in Line and Holy Diver by Dio

Not sure whether this was songs not pimped by the outside world or by EWB - if it's the outside world, I wouldn't really know, all my mates like shit music. :shifty:

"Good "Fucking" Bye" is a Matt Skiba solo song from a split with Kevin Seconds of "7 Seconds". Seconds formed a new band, but I can't remember the name.

I just found it when I "went on to iTunes and searched for with the intention of legally purchasing" an Alkaline Trio song after having them recommended to me.

Earth, from what I've heard of them, have a much more drone-like sound, though I've not heard that specific album. I'd say if you like Pelican, you wouldn't necessarily like Earth, but its worth a look.

Since people just seem to be throwing random songs out, I'll just give Pearl Jam's 'Ocean' a mention, as its vastly under-rated, compared to thier other stuff.

While a lot of Earth's stuff is very drone-y (they pretty much invented drone, although having heard Dylan Carlson talk at an even slower pace than his music, I'm convinced that when he listens to Earth he hears pleasant pop-punk), they have gradually expanded on that, certainly from Hex onwards, into a more post-rock and even country influenced style; much less distorted, more lush instrumentation...more about building soundscapes than just about dirgy droney repetition. Really beautiful stuff, and pretty much what they needed to do now that SunnO))) have pretty much eclipsed them as far as pure drone goes.