The Jeffster Memorial Chuck Thread

Guest Ringmaster

Man, as of last night this show has shifted from fun dumb to just dumb. Lou Diamond Phillips seemed to be having fun, at least.

EDIT: Credit for a fun fight sequence at the end, though.

EDIT II: Wait, no, just a fun use of a shattered CD I guess.

I thought the writing was deeply lazy (anyone who didn't know it was Amy within like... ten seconds of Sarah saying it was Zondra really wasn't paying attention). LDP was having fun with it, I guess, but the episode didn't really give him much to do beyond an accent and the only character brought in here who did anything interesting was Carina, and that's because she's already had two or three episodes before to establish her (and even then, she was just used for tired comedy). It also doesn't help that I'm becoming less and less invested in the Chuck/Sarah stuff as time goes on. Bringing her father back might be interesting because he was a genuinely good character that was used well before, but it just sort of feels like the show's regressed to where it was in season one, if not worse because Chuck/Sarah at least felt fresh then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of the opposite. I hate the idea of multiple Intersects. Or, not so much that, as them all being in one place. I also don't buy Casey leaving the team (because that WAS leaving the team). I don't like this new woman (I can never really get behind SHE/HE'S A GOOD GUY, BUT SHE/HE'S A BAD GUY storylines.), I don't like Casey apparently just following orders despite how much of a fuss they made about him liking being in Burbank and working with his team. And I really don't like the idea of Ellie being an Intersect (if that's where this is going). Any more than just Chuck kind of makes him seem less special. I'd rather we just continue with the whole Volkoff's Daughter storyline, to be honest. It was a really fun episode though and it was great to see Stacy Keibler and Old Spice Guy back.

I think that would have been a problem if not for the fact that those extra Intersects hadn't been decommissioned by the end of the episode. If they'd been made into recurring characters I would have hated it, but they weren't, which leaves the number of Intersects in Chuck world at three, tops (and if they can remove it just like that from Stacy Keibler and Old Spice Guy, presumably they'd be able to remove it from Manoosh and Shaw by now).

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd dig this topic up because...

So this week's episode was pretty damn good and Chuck's writers are proving once again that their game ratchets up as the season gets closer and closer to the end.

But more importantly SEASON FIVE.

Chuck Bartowski is turning out to be the luckiest spy in TV history.

Sources confirm to TVLine that Chuck has cheated death once again and will return for a fifth season this fall.

NBC declined to comment, but an insider tells TVLine that the Peacock is nearing a deal with producer Warner Bros. to bring the show back for at least 13 episodes.

TVLine.com has an update on that and it says it will be the final season for, as of now, 13 episodes.

Season 4 was only supposed to be 13 episodes, so it could get a full season order like that, but at least they know it'll be the last season now and won't leave anything hanging at the end.

It was about as solid as I could have hoped for considering how barely interested I was in this season of the show. Vivian Volkoff did not work as a main villain in the slightest; easily the single weakest major antagonist Chuck has ever had, and the time spent on her was time wasted. But the death fakeout was done about as well as Chuck tends to do those, the hook at the end is interesting enough, and the fact that they know it's the final season in the fall means they should be pulling out all the stops. Not sure what to expect from the big master plan angle but I'm hoping for at least one episode with Shaw coming back. Shit, I wouldn't even mind some sort of Legion of Doom of some surviving Chuck enemies. Bring back Michael Clarke Duncan! Bring back Steve Austin again! Why the fuck not?

I'd love to see Shaw back, as well as some of Chuck's other enemies. And I'm glad Volkoff wasn't killed off, Dalton really did a great job with that character. I wouldn't mind seeing him coming back for one or two episodes as a ally of Chuck's.

I liked the episode right up until the hacky twist at the end. Well the whole "they're gonna have their own personal army" thing off 800 million dollars thing is pretty silly too, but putting the intersect in Morgan just seems like a "whatever, we've done everything else" sort of decision. This whole season felt like it was built around Chuck Vs the Push Mix, and then after that it really had a hard time getting much momentum going. I dunno, maybe the fact that season 5 is expected to be the last is a good thing - nice to see a genre show other than Lost get to go out on its own terms without becoming a complete parody of itself.

Nah, I think giving Morgan the Intersect actually makes perfect sense as long as they can handle it right. Chuck doesn't actually need it anymore, and the point is that now he's come full circle; he's the accomplished spy having to keep an eye on someone with a ton of power but no real training/common sense, just occasional flashes of brilliance. Plus, I like Chuck a whole lot more when he has to improvise his way out of situations rather than activate some kung-fu deus ex machina.

• 2 months later...