EWB's Top 50 Televison Characters

Ace

Partridge and Soprano being so low upsets me greatly, as they'd have definitely been in the top half of my list. Damn my inability to know what's going on and when. Grr.

As for one by one...

I made my point about Peter earlier, and it still stands. I'm glad to see him on the list, he deserves it because he has got some great lines, but I wouldn't have put him any higher than he is, so I'm glad he wasn't top 20 material or nowt. Good choice on the quote too.

Partridge is nigh on one of the finest comedy characters of all time, and I can watch episodes of Knowing Me, Knowing You hundreds of times and still not get bored. His is the kind of humour that doesn't need to be followed, and so you don't need to make a point of watching everything he's ever done, I know my first taste of Partridge was series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge, and I loved him from the get-go. I'm not sure if it makes sense or not, but Partridge is great foreground TV, but also great background TV, just picking up on the odd quote and having a giggle whilst doing something else.

Skummy hit the nail on the head with Zapp, he's got no depth, little story and he'd be a god-awful character if he was in Futurama anymore than he actually is. I've never really seen the appeal of Futurama past a few characters, but Zapp's definitely one of those few, and I'm glad to see him on the list.

I never watched M*A*S*H, so I can't comment, but judging the quote, I'd say it's a damn fine choice.

Tony being so low upsets me, as altho he isn't the best of the Sopranos clan (that, without a doubt, goes to Christopher), he's probably the only one likely to make the list. He's a phenommenal character, extremely well thought out, a grand backstory and some brilliant quotes. Good to see him in the list, but I'd of loved to see him in the top 20.

Still, this is looking a lot better than the Top 50 bands thing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God. Bart, a character that's shown genuine characterisation and likeable qualities (albeit not in some of the recent seasons), is beaten out by Peter, an unashamed rip-off of Homer Simpson with no decent qualities who is idolised by the "Hot Topicers" who think that humour is directly related to how random something is. Fuck no. Admittedly, most of the same complaints could be made about Zapp Brannigan, but then a) Zapp isn't even close to a main character, b) the fact he's an incredibly shallow character is not just acknowledged but embraced and c) the writers always seem to break out their A material for him ("Cham-paggen", "I had snu-snu" and "The key to victory is the element of surprise. Surprise!"). Aside from Peter, all of those characters are pretty underrated, and deserve to be higher (with the exception of Hawkeye, who I don't know a thing about).

Elsewhere on the list, Brian is about in the right place (of late, he's become INCREDIBLY preachy...probably the worst example was when Brian and Peter are in the parallel universe where Quagmire married Lois), Stewie shouldn't be there period (but if we were talking Season 2-3 Stewie, that's a different matter. Season 4+ Stewie is just terrible). I haven't watched enough South Park for Randy to stand out, but Colbert, fucking hell. You people should hang your heads in shame that he was ranked so low (sadly it is "you people". I believe I was still banspended when voting closed).

what's with the Stewie hate? He started off pretty dire in the series, a one joke pony with nothing too brilliant, but his stints in series 2 and 3 are brilliant, and he's definitely part of some of the stand-out moments in those two series.
Edited by De

Everyone applaud the fact that I am now less sick. On average you should expect an update every two to three days now.

And on a personal note, for those of you saying you don’t know who Hawkeye is, I demand you go find a season of M*A*S*H (Preferably 1 – 3) as all M*A*S*H related things are awesome. As a certain person said to me, its like Scrubs, but without the jokes that you’ll only get if your from that time period.

Anyways, enough babble from me, and on with the list.

Gribble.jpg

40. Dale Gribble (King of the Hill)

Well, if you're determined to hold onto your blind prejudice against being a parasite, maybe you should go see John Redcorn. Nancy used to get his deep massages and come home limp... as... a... noodle.

emerson.jpg

39. Benjamin Linus (LOST)

I want for you to change your at - perspective. And, the first step in doing that would be for me to be decent enough to introduce myself honestly, so - [he crouches down beside Jack and extends his hand to shake] Hi, my name is Benjamin Linus and I've lived on this island all my life. [pause] You're not going to shake?

Dale Gribble and Radar make that a fucking awesome list, I'd love to have seen both so much higher. Haven't a clue who the rest are, but those two rock. I'm a huge King Of The Hill fan, it's one of my favourite shows on TV, and Dale's the most consistently brilliant character...any episode built around him is destined to be incredible, and he doesn't seem to have a bad line in him for the first two or three series.

And Radar continues my love for the first few series, and the movie, of M*A*S*H, being probably my favourite character in there. For any of you unfamiliar with it (a concept alien to me, as I was raised on watching it every week, while my Grandad, who fought in the Korean War, explained how there was never an American M*A*S*H in Korea, so it's wholly unrealistic, but then loved any minute of it, or with him or my father explaining how the show lasted longer than the war it was based on), I heartily recommend you pick up the movie and the first series on DVD as soon as possible. It's a fantastic sitcom in and of itself, and even better when taken as an allegory for the Vietnam War and, in the respect of mocking the ridiculous nature of un-necessary war, it's just as relevant today.

And the DVDs come with a feature that should come as standard on every comedy DVD; the ability to switch off the laughter track.

While the show did lose its way slightly as it went on, the last episode is absolutely perfect. One of the finest season finales imaginable.

Holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap Funke made it. I know he's built mostly around being a double-entendre machine, but he has produced some of the finest verbal cockups in history.

'I'll be your wing-man....even if it means taking a chubby, I'll suck it right up'

Second best character on the programme next to GOB, who I think will probably get in near the top, so gotta be happy with that.

No Fancy entrance, lets just get on with the show.

5.jpg

34. Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain I go get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command here.

supernaturalyrthrtug.jpg

33. Dean Winchester (Supernatural)

I'll tell you another thing, if you screwed up my car I'll kill you.
Edited by --Ace--

Jayne! Nice. I don't really care about much else here; Butters is okay, but I doubt Peter would even break my top ten list for Heroes characters alone. Which isn't to say I dislike him, because I like him well enough, it's just that there's other Heroes characters I'd sooner see here than Peter.

Niles! :wub:

He's one of my favourite American sitcom characters, just absolutely brilliant. He pretty much sucked after getting with Daphne, as it was always great when lusting after her was just another one of his neuroses, being settled down never suited his character, and left it completely without direction, but he's still brilliant.

And...I don't know who anyone else in that list is.