RESULTS: EWB's Top 50 Movies

The Hardcore Canuck

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's such a disappointing five after the last bunch.

I just don't get Clerks and therefore don't find it funny or clever at all (sorry, no Kevin Smith love from me), American Beauty is ok, Seven IS good and would be in my top 50 but lower, V for Vendetta is 3 outta 5 material and Sin City, while clever, cool in parts and well written in parts is also an example of annoying style over substance that just tries TOO hard to make teenage boys get excited over it. 300 is less apologetic and is therefore, to my mind, a better movie for it.

Guest Psyence

Sin City, while clever, cool in parts and well written in parts is also an example of annoying style over substance that just tries TOO hard to make teenage boys get excited over it.

shaunofthedead.jpg

15. Shaun of the Dead

"Who died and made you fucking king of the zombies?"

2006: 14 (-1)

starwarstheempriestrikesback.jpg

14. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

"Luke, I am your father."

2006: 5 (-9)

theboondocksaints.jpg

T12. Boondock Saints

"And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

2006: 29 (+17)

montypythonandtheholygrail.jpg

T12. Monty Python's Holy Grail

"Look you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left."

2006: 9 (-3)

theusualsuspects.jpg

11. The Usual Suspects

"You think you can catch Keyser Soze? You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught, and sticks his head out? If he comes up for anything it'll be to get rid of me. After that... my guess is you'll never hear from him again."

2006: 15 (+4)

Mm. Well. Am I the only person who didn't think that the Boondock Saints was anywhere near as good as it was hyped up to be? Which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it, because I did, it was good and all, it just... mostly felt like another case of style over substance. Certainly not good enough to be top fifteen material, in any case.

Also, Empire and Monty Python not being in the top ten is criminal (Shaun's placement works for me well enough, though). Ah, well.

YES YES YES YES YES, AMERICAN BEAUTY RELATIVELY HIGH, YES! Love that film. So much.

Also yay at the majority of my films having yet to appear, and most of them are blatantly on this list somewhere, so the top 10 seems probable.

Also yay for Shaun Of The Dead and The Usual Suspects. The rest are good but I'm not particularly overjoyed.

Ahhh Monty Python - Holy Grail and Life Of Brian are probably the funniest two movies ever made. Star Wars always deserves to have a film there or there abouts and I'd have probably had Usual Suspects much lower but still in top fifty.

I've not seen Boondock Saints whatever the hell that is.

Also Shuan Of The Dead, while I LOVE Spaced, SOTD and Hot Fuzz (Hot Fuzz in my opinion the better movie), is no way the fifteenth best movie - that's just ridiculous. It also ages quite badly with repeat viewings so I keep my repeat viewings of it very rare so I still enjoy it.

I could happily watch Holy Grail very often though.

Shaun's actually aged quite well for me, I don't know. I still almost never watch it on anything resembling even a vaguely regular basis, but then I don't watch any movies on repeat viewings often.

Am I the only person who prefers 'The Meaning of Life' to 'Holy Grail'?

I couldn't get past the endless, unfunny opening sequence. I'll probably give it another shot within the next few months, but right now it's the only Monty Python movie I outright couldn't watch.

Right...I haven't seen V For Vendetta, so have no idea if its any good or not.

American Beauty is absolutely superb...beautifully crafted, and wonderfully shot, almost Lynchian in places, both in the camerawork and the whole "seedy underbelly of American suburbia" story. Brilliant film, and I'm amazed it didn't rank last year.

Not overly fond of Sin City...all too style over substance for my liking, but I get the appeal.

Clerks is good, but over-rated in the way Kevin Smith always is. It's a nice little comedy, but nothing more than that, it's not even Kevin Smith's best film (that accolade goes to Dogma, which also would be pretty far from a top 50 of my favourite films).

I haven't seen Se7en in years, my memory of it's more than a little hazy, but I do remember it being rather fantastic. No complaints there. Another one I'm surprised didn't make the list last year.

Shaun Of The Dead is good but, again, somewhat over-rated. But the sheer amount of geekdom, in-jokes and hidden references make me love it oh-so much.

I haven't watched Star Wars in years, and I'm reluctant to since the "new" trilogy really turned me off it, but Empire is awesome...the ultimate downbeat ending, Boba Fett, the swerve. All good stuff.

No idea what Boondock Saints is.

Holy Grail is by far my favourite of the Python movies, and another one I haven't watched in years, but it'll always get love from me. A little turned off it by the amount of people I know, mostly who work for the theatre I used to work for, that always quote parts of the Rabbit scene "HUGE POINTY TEETH!", but it's still brilliant. And, that said, the rabbit scene is the ultimate comedy double-swerve....the monster turns out to be a rabbit....which turns out to be a monster. Sir Robin is comedy gold, too. And there was much rejoicing. "Sir Not Appearing In This Film". DVD extras rock, too, "subtitles for people who don't like the film".

The Usual Suspects is quality. Simple as. Modern classic.

superbad.jpg

10. Superbad

"I am McLovin."

2006: Did Not Rank

eternalsunshineofthespotlessmind.jpg

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

"I'm just a fucked up girl looking for my own piece of mind, I'm not perfect."

2006: 12 (+3)

reservoirdogs.jpg

8. Reservoir Dogs

"Torture you? That's a good idea. I like that."

2006: 3 (-5)

theshawshankredemption.jpg

6. Shawshank Redemption

"I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank."

2006: 7 (+1)

battleroyal.jpg

6. Battle Royale

"So today's lesson is... you kill each other off 'til there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules."

2006: 13 (+7)

Superbad being in the top 50 is slightly silly, to be tenth is ridiculous, and shows that most voters must have terribly short memories. It probably does belong in the top ten movies THIS year, but that wasn't what the vote was for. Anyway, Reservoir Dogs is ace, so fine, and while it maybe a tad high, Battle Royale actually deserves to be rated highly.