RESULTS: EWB's Top 50 Movies

The Hardcore Canuck

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I love it until the very end when my favorite character is ruined, but that doesn't take away from how great everything leading up to that point is (... except maybe Anthony Michael Hall acting like he's a blues musician. That was kind of lame).

All I'm saying is that 'The Breakfast Club' better be ranked here somewhere, it is an iconic film that really is the pinnacle of the 80's teen movie boom period!

I dunno, the moment Ally Sheedy's character sold out the movie died a bit for me. :P I'm more of a Heathers man myself, though obviously it had nothing on the impact and success of the Breakfast Club.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I love it until the very end when my favorite character is ruined, but that doesn't take away from how great everything leading up to that point is (... except maybe Anthony Michael Hall acting like he's a blues musician. That was kind of lame).

It was lame, but isn't that the point since he is lame?

Touché. It was lame and unfunny, wherein lied the problem.

This list is horrible, and all the 14 year olds on EWB know nothing about good movies.

Seriously, 90% of the shit on this list above Citizen Kane? Its been voted the best fucking movie ever made, consistently, for a reason! Fuck, and thats not even talking about movies I actually like... Snakes on a Plane better than Fear and Loathing or Full Metal Jacket? Fuck, with the way this is going, Ready to Rumble is going to be number one.

thegodfather.jpg

25. The Godfather

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool. And those two bastards, they smiled at me. Then I said to my wife, for justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

2006: 10 (-15)

snatch.jpg

24. Snatch

"Did you understand a single word of what he just said?"

2006: Did Not Rank

oldboy.jpg

23. Oldboy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

2006: 33 (+10)

batmanbegins.jpg

22. Batman Begins

"They told me there was nothing out there, nothing to fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something. I've looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows. And there is something out there in the darkness, something terrifying, something that will not stop until it gets revenge... Me."

apocalypsenow.jpg

21. Apocalypse Now

"The horror... the horror..."

Every movie that I've seen in that group I absolutely loved (Apocalypse Now is in my queue list. God only knows why I haven't seen it yet, it's like how I didn't see The Godfather until this year). My only qualm is that aside from Batman and maybe Oldboy, all of them should be just a little bit higher.

Batman Begins, not only the greatest comic book movies ever made, but in my opinion, one of the greatest movies ever made, period. I just watched it again over the weekend and was reminded of how truly amazing it is. If I was stranded on a desert island and had to take only a couple movies I could watch over and over again, Batman Begins would be on that list.

Disappointed that the Godfather's so low, pleased that Oldboy has risen from last year and very glad Apocalypse Now made it on. I was getting worried. I'll also say that I'm very surprised at the amount of entries this year that didn't make it on last year; three of those last five were missing, including Snatch.

Because I love you guys, here's another update.

v.jpg

20. V For Vendetta

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot."

americanbeauty.jpg

18. American Beauty

"I need a father who's a role model, not some horny geek-boy who's gonna spray his shorts whenever I bring a girlfriend home from school. What a lame-o. Someone really should just put him out of his misery."

sincity.jpg

18. Sin City

"This is blood for blood and by the gallon. These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choice left. And I'm ready for war."

2006: 8 (-10)

clerks.jpg

17. Clerks

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

2006: 6 (-11)

se7en.jpg

16. Se7en

"Become vengeance, David. Become wrath."

Fuck me, that's the best set yet.

1. The Usual Suspects

2. The Shawshank Redemption

3. The Departed

4. Die Hard - 45th

5. Battle Royale

6. This Is Spinal Tap

7. Clerks - 17th

8. Dogma

9. Hot Fuzz

10. The Warriors - 46th

11. Equilibrium

12. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

13. The Shining - 43rd

14. Shaun of the Dead

15. The Simpsons Movie (fuck off)

Edited by De

I'll be slightly nitpicky and say it should have went: V For Vendetta, Sin City, Clerks, Seven, American Beauty, but yeah, that's a great set. V For Vendetta is criminally underrated and the rest are modern classics with American Beauty topping them all as just an amazing movie, regardless of timeframe.