RESULTS: EWB's Top 50 Movies

The Hardcore Canuck

I dunno, American Psycho is kinda meh, in my view. I'd rather watch Old School than it, no questions asked really. Old School is a good comedy, American Psycho is an alright psychological drama/thriller (I guess thats what it falls under)....maybe its a bit unfair to compare such different genres, but yeah, Old School would get my vote.

Spinal Tap getting missed off blows though, but I think I forgot to vote for it, so that didn't exactly help its chances.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, Trainspotting! That is such an awesome film, how did I forget to vote for it? Also, Die Hard should've been a lot, lot higher, no qualms about it, though I don't think I voted for that either.

I'm loving the list so far, though. I've had a problem with very few of them.

Edited by Pesci Queen

I can sense The Simpsons Movie landing depressingly high on this list...

And of all my war films, Dr. Strangelove probably had the best chance of making it since I saw a lot of other votes for it, but it still failed. :( Might get Apocalypse Now, but that's about all.

Which is a shame, because Bridge on the River Kwai > Most.

Trainspotting rocks my socks which is why it made my list.

American Psycho is a well made, excellently acted movie that's achieved cult status without having too many of those cult "failings" that Skummy was talking about.

28 Days Later is a very very good film (better than Weeks for a start) but should be swapped with Trainspotting as Boyle's earlier film was better.

thegreenmile.jpg

30. The Green Mile

"They usually call death row the Last Mile, but we called ours the Green Mile, because the floor was the color of faded limes. We had the electric chair then. Old Sparky, we called it. I've lived a lot of years, Ellie, but 1935 takes the prize. That was the year I had the worst urinary infection of my life. That was also the year of John Coffey and the two dead girls."

2006: Did Not Rank

scarface.jpg

29. Scarface

"Say hello to my little friend!"

2006: 18 (-11)

serenity.jpg

T28. Serenity

"The Alliance has gone to enormous trouble to find your little friend. Do you all know what it is you're carrying?"

cuckoo.jpg

T28. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

"Which one of you nuts has got any guts?"

aclockworkorange.jpg

26. A Clockwork Orange

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence."

2006: 23 (-3)

Cuckoo's Nest and Clockwork Orange are both great movies.

Saw Clockwork Orange at the cinema back in the day and must admit it was completely different to what I thought it was like prior to the re-release. Very very smart political viewpoint.

This list is horrible, and all the 14 year olds on EWB know nothing about good movies.

Seriously, 90% of the shit on this list above Citizen Kane? Its been voted the best fucking movie ever made, consistently, for a reason! Fuck, and thats not even talking about movies I actually like... Snakes on a Plane better than Fear and Loathing or Full Metal Jacket? Fuck, with the way this is going, Ready to Rumble is going to be number one.

Wait ... One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and A Clockwork Orange (possibly the greatest movie in over 30 years) dropped down spaces? *sigh* this is quite sad.

Glad to see Green Mile make it. I thought that was a great movie, one of Stephen King's best adaptations.

This list is horrible, and all the 14 year olds on EWB know nothing about good movies.

Seriously, 90% of the shit on this list above Citizen Kane? Its been voted the best fucking movie ever made, consistently, for a reason! Fuck, and thats not even talking about movies I actually like... Snakes on a Plane better than Fear and Loathing or Full Metal Jacket? Fuck, with the way this is going, Ready to Rumble is going to be number one.

That's why it's EWB's top movies though. It's kinda like if Spike TV did a list like this, you wouldn't expect Citizen Kane to be above Die Hard.

But yeah, some of you guys need to go pick up some movies made before your year of birth.

That's why it's EWB's top movies though. It's kinda like if Spike TV did a list like this, you wouldn't expect Citizen Kane to be above Die Hard.

But yeah, some of you guys need to go pick up some movies made before your year of birth.

Agreed. You don't need to go out and watch arthouse bollocks or shit from the French New Wave era, but older films are generally better to watch. Stuff like Casablanca, Singin' In The Rain, Psycho, The Apartment and so on.

Fuck, not even that old. Something from the 70s or 80s! You guys are making me feel old.

Hey, over half of my list is from the 80s or older (though Heathers was at the very end of the decade)!

But yeah, I agree. Though it was interesting when Hamster was running that Best Film Ever tournament that died out earlier this year; 12 Angry Men and Seven Samurai were both performing very strongly, which I didn't expect from EWB.

Fuck, not even that old. Something from the 70s or 80s! You guys are making me feel old.

Hey, over half of my list is from the 80s or older (though Heathers was at the very end of the decade)!

But yeah, I agree. Though it was interesting when Hamster was running that Best Film Ever tournament that died out earlier this year; 12 Angry Men and Seven Samurai were both performing very strongly, which I didn't expect from EWB.

Time to hunt it down and finish it up then. I forgot all about it and was enjoying it. D'oh.

I think Seven Samurai was on it's way out at this stage though.

There were some pleasant surprises in that tournament.

All I'm saying is that 'The Breakfast Club' better be ranked here somewhere, it is an iconic film that really is the pinnacle of the 80's teen movie boom period!

I dunno, the moment Ally Sheedy's character sold out the movie died a bit for me. :P I'm more of a Heathers man myself, though obviously it had nothing on the impact and success of the Breakfast Club.

All I'm saying is that 'The Breakfast Club' better be ranked here somewhere, it is an iconic film that really is the pinnacle of the 80's teen movie boom period!

I dunno, the moment Ally Sheedy's character sold out the movie died a bit for me. :P I'm more of a Heathers man myself, though obviously it had nothing on the impact and success of the Breakfast Club.

God, yes, I'm glad I've finally seen someone other than me make this point. Allison ruins that film at the end...she's such a great character throughout, but the ending is horrible. The whole point of that film is meant to be that it doesn't matter who you are, how "different" you are, you can still be popular, people can still like you, you can still be happy, special, yadda yadda yadda, yet with her it's just I CONFORMED, NOW I'M HAPPY. YOU CAN BE TOO. Utterly fucking awful.