The BEST Song

Benji

I'm amazed I didn't just come in here and say "well, 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen, obv", because, well, it is. The best song, that is.

Is that factoring in its covers or not? I rather prefer John Cale's version to Cohen's, even if it's becoming a bit of a film/TV cliche in and of itself.

Hmmm...I suppose the sheer amount of covers that exist of it would only support its value as one of the finest songs ever written? Personally, I always used to prefer Jeff Buckley's version which is, of course, based on Cale's, as is seemingly every subsequent version, but nowadays I find the original vastly superior...the instrumentation leaves a little to be desired in places, but it doesn't take away from the song as much as it does in some of Cohen's later work (I'm looking at you, "I'm Your Man"), and his voice is just so textured and full that it seems to impart much more meaning on every single line than anyone else has ever managed. Not to mention that no one, not John Cale, not Jeff Buckley, not Rufus Wainwright, not anyone, could ever managed to sound so sleazy as Cohen on the line "remember when I moved in you", yet so incredibly pure only seconds later. It's not my favourite song ever, and it may not even be my favourite Leonard Cohen song, but purely subjectively I think it's a damn strong contender for one of the best songs ever written.

I think the reason why Cohen's doesn't work for me is is, first of all, I usually don't care for sing-talking (though it does give him the opportunity to put in far more inflection than the covers, as you observed). I do love the chorus in the background, but yeah. In a way it's unfair to compare Cohen's original with the subsequent covers because they're almost like entirely different songs in the way they present the content; the reason why Cale or Buckley don't sound sleazy at all is because they're singing the lyrics incredibly earnestly, whereas Cohen's way of delivering the lyrics is so... nonchalant. If Cale or Buckley would have tried to deliver that line in a sleazy manner it would have completely thrown their covers off track.

Right now my order in terms of personal enjoyment is, like, Cale > Buckley > Cohen right now; I've never heard Rufus Wainwright's version so I can't rank that. John Cale's version works for me the best because I think the song lyrics, combined with the simplicity of Cale playing piano with no vast instrumental accompaniment beyond that (as opposed to Cohen's choir or Buckley's, which... I can't quite place it there. It sounds like just a guitar, after all, but at the same time it feels like there's also been a lot of production work to give it a distinct, slicker sound), and also how tired and hoarse Cale's voice sounds.

I do wish Cale could pronounce "hallelujah" right, though. That's a minor thing that takes me out of the song at times.

Even if people hate Justin Timberlake, it was important for a lot of reasons.

Care to venture some of them?

The song won a Grammy, as well as doing fairly well on the Billboard Charts (I think it peaked at 3). Say what you will about a Grammy, but its definitely an important accolade in the music business.

It signaled an end to the dynasty of Boybands. Sure, Like I Love You was a deparature from his N Sync days, but Cry Me A River represented so much more. It was an example of destruction and construction in pop music. Timberlake put the last nail in the coffin of the boybands of the 90's. And Timberlake clearly established himself as the new force in pop music, which has been the case for the a long time. Sure, between 2005 there wasn't much Justin, but its hard to deny 2003, 2006, 2007 weren't years that Justin Timberlake was on top of the pop world. Hell, single after single after single are coming out and trying to replicate the sounds Timbalanda and Justin Timberlake started here and carried over too FS/LS.

As well, it was a marked deparature because of the lyric and video content. The record executives didn't want the video released. Justin Timberlake was creating a new pop star in front of us. He was edgy, he was dark, he was everything N Sync wasn't.

As well, the song is amazing. Hate "pop" music all you want, but Cry Me A River is an amazing song. I know it popped up on at least a few year end lists as one of the best songs of 2003. This song has it all - great atmosphere, great lyrics, great instrumental, great lyrics.

The only song I can think of that has any sort of general approval is Stairway to Heaven. I personally don't think it's all that awesome. It's a good song, but nowhere near as epic as Savatage's "the Hourglass", but oh well.

I've never got the appeal of Queen. I just... don't like them.

Same with Smashing Pumpkins, but I think its to do with Billy Corgan's voice just doesn't fit the grunge style music IMO. That said though, up seeing the Simpsons episode with the Hullabalooza show, Zero is a pretty great song.

Smells Like Teen Spirit has already been said, and even though I'd be perfectly happy if... God... said it was the greatest song ever, I personally prefere Come As You Are. Dunno, why, I just love it.

The Seattle bands were, still are, great. Pearl jam's sound is largely not my thing, besides Even Flow, but Soundgarden are great, Nirvana great, Alice In Chains great, and recently got some Mudhoney which is good also.

Sweet Child O' Mine is a very real top contender IMO.

Killing In The Name. Simple song that just catches you. You just don't wanna scream out "FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" on the bus. Not that it's happened to me. Yet.

One that sticks with me is 'Hunger Strike' by Temple Of The Dog. Maybe overlooked as many may not of heard of them, if you haven't they were basically a collaberation between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, as Pearl Jam was spawned from the group.

Speaking of Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun.

Hmmm... No mention of Elvis Presley? Cmon he was like the biggest thing ever.

Suspicious Minds, Cant Help Falling In Love With You, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Viva Las Vegas... no one else an Elvis fan?

Also 'I Did It My Way' by Frank Sinatra has to be one of the best.

Baba O' Riley - The Who... dont think it gets the recognition it deserves cause its such a good song.

Edited by the wall breaker