The BEST Song

Benji

If we're going to start naming Marvin Gaye songs, it has to be What's Going On?, clearly.

"What's Going On?" is a great song and all, but I just don't think it matches up to "Heard It Through The Grapevine". Grapevine is one of the most heart breakingly brilliant songs ever, and it's a song that I think the majority of people can relate to. The writing of it is superb, the music sublime and Gaye's almost pleading voice as the song progresses is simply amazing.

As far as Gaye goes, I'd rate "Grapevine", then "Let's Get It On" and then "What's Going On?" with songs like "Ain't No Mountain" and "If I Should Die Tonight" holding up the backswing.

If we're going to start naming Marvin Gaye songs, it has to be What's Going On?, clearly.

"What's Going On?" is a great song and all, but I just don't think it matches up to "Heard It Through The Grapevine". Grapevine is one of the most heart breakingly brilliant songs ever, and it's a song that I think the majority of people can relate to. The writing of it is superb, the music sublime and Gaye's almost pleading voice as the song progresses is simply amazing.

As far as Gaye goes, I'd rate "Grapevine", then "Let's Get It On" and then "What's Going On?" with songs like "Ain't No Mountain" and "If I Should Die Tonight" holding up the backswing.

Hm. My top five Marvin Gaye is as follows;

1. I Heard it Through the Grapevine

2. What's Going On?

3. Stubborn Kind of Fellow

4. Mercy Mercy Me

5. Ain't No Mountain

Sexual Healing and Let's Get it On do nothing for me, but then I can't particularly relate to either song like I can those other five.

Edited by GoGo Yubari *

Smells Like Teen Spirit isn't even the best song from Seattle in the early 90s...

Rooster by Alice in Chains.

Oh, and since no one is going to agree with me, but its my favorite country song, and to be a country song I actually like it has to be pretty god-damn good... Rodeo by Garth Brooks.

If you are going to whip out Garth Brooks, I think Standing Outside The Fire deserves some plaudits, or The Red Strokes. Admittedly, I don't know if either song was particularly big in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna throw out a few newer ones that I think generally get overlooked. Most of them can stand up with the classics, if not prove themselves better than the classics.

Bombs Over Bagdhad/Hey Ya by Outkast. The first the perfect protest song, the second a huge crossover hit.

Where's Your Head At by Basement Jaxx. A perfect pop song. Electronica, rock and roll and hip hop all mixed in one. Ahead of it's time in every sense of the word.

My Love/Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake. Once again, songs that will show with time why they classics.

What Became of the Likely Lads by the Libertines. In my opinion, the last great rock song recorded.

In my opinion, these six songs are just as good as some of the songs listed. Of the above, I'd have to say Cry Me A River is the best. Even if people hate Justin Timberlake, it was important for a lot of reasons.

Above these new songs, I'll throw my hat in and say that Marvin Gaye Heard It Through the Grapevine is the best. But can we forget Sexual Healing, Ain't No Mountain, What's Going On. Not enough love for Gaye.

Edited by PunkRockPete

I'm amazed I didn't just come in here and say "well, 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen, obv", because, well, it is. The best song, that is.

Is that factoring in its covers or not? I rather prefer John Cale's version to Cohen's, even if it's becoming a bit of a film/TV cliche in and of itself.

I'm amazed I didn't just come in here and say "well, 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen, obv", because, well, it is. The best song, that is.

Is that factoring in its covers or not? I rather prefer John Cale's version to Cohen's, even if it's becoming a bit of a film/TV cliche in and of itself.

Hmmm...I suppose the sheer amount of covers that exist of it would only support its value as one of the finest songs ever written? Personally, I always used to prefer Jeff Buckley's version which is, of course, based on Cale's, as is seemingly every subsequent version, but nowadays I find the original vastly superior...the instrumentation leaves a little to be desired in places, but it doesn't take away from the song as much as it does in some of Cohen's later work (I'm looking at you, "I'm Your Man"), and his voice is just so textured and full that it seems to impart much more meaning on every single line than anyone else has ever managed. Not to mention that no one, not John Cale, not Jeff Buckley, not Rufus Wainwright, not anyone, could ever managed to sound so sleazy as Cohen on the line "remember when I moved in you", yet so incredibly pure only seconds later. It's not my favourite song ever, and it may not even be my favourite Leonard Cohen song, but purely subjectively I think it's a damn strong contender for one of the best songs ever written.