EWB's game of the year!

Having only played/owned 3 new games this year, and one was realised the year before (Unreal Anthology/2004 :shifty: ) Thats very limited field for me.

I'd say that UT2004 wins by a margin, for the multiplayerness in uni.

Then Guitar Hero 3, then finally Scarface:TWY.

EDIT: Tell a lie, I've played a few more over a friends during breaks at uni on his 360 (I only have a PS2), like Halo 3 and um... I think thats it :shifty: . Its an ok game, spoiled by his camping (which is a great mocking/put down tool we use on him).

Edited by TheModernWay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock Band, no question. No game can eat up more hours of play than that whether you're by yourself or with friends.

Bioshock, Mario Galaxy and The Orange Box are all solid contenders. I haven't played Mass Effect though, so I should probably play that, but I still stick by Rock Band.

Disappointment of the year has to be a toss up between Guitar Hero 3 and Assassin's Creed. GH3 was great at first and then Rock Band was released and you just said to yourself, "oh... that's what a good music game is." AC was hyped to high hell and wound up delivering a serviceable game, but nowhere near what people had hoped or anticipated.

And I merged this with the old thread started in November that seemed to die out.

Edited by Zero

Zero you absolutely must play Mass Effect.

i was never a huge RPG fan, but the way everything flows together it barely feels like one. Whether that's a good thing to the casual gamer as myself, or a nail in the coffin of die-hard RPGists I'm not sure, but the gameplay and story are amazing enough that any minor flaws the game has are a small factor.

If I had to vote, I'd go something like this...

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

2. Mass Effect

3. Halo 3

4. The Orange Box

This whole voting this is skewed, though. It's pretty tough to do when not everyone has all of the major consoles. I only have a 360, for example, which pretty much eliminates games like Uncharted and Mario from my list.

I own Mass Effect... I just haven't started it yet mainly due to Mario Galaxy taking up most of my time. And that I still haven't beaten Bioshock and I have a hard time playing two massive games at once.

I am only going off of what I've played regularly which is fairly limited since I've been picking up a fewer older PS2 games before they're all gone.

1) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, which is now in my personal top 3 along with Skies of Arcadia and the original Disgaea.

2) Rogue Galaxy

3) Odin Sphere

4) Grim Grimoire

If and when I get a 360, I'm sure I'll like Mass Effect. I'm not a fan of Mario games or FPS so it's likely I'll never play any of those games regardless of how good they are.

2007 was a year that had a lot of stuff released, a lot of it looked good, most of which we tried to pick up, and just about almost all of it I didn't get around to properly playing anything. Time is so limited and I have to be in the mood to play certain things.

That said, my original choices are mostly still accurate to what I feel was great.

1. Super Mario Galaxy - This was hands down the most exquisitly fun experience I have had in years, not just this one. I actually wish there was more of it which likely won't come. I still have the rest of my Luigi playthrough though.

2. Warhawk - This is why I am not utterly and completely disappointed at the lack of PS3 games. I sunk more into this thing in the months after its release than probably all other games I've played this year. My only qualm is why I haven't continued playing now, it's 'edge' has dulled a bit and I'm burnt out a bit.

3. Call of Duty 4 - The most exhilerating grab you by the balls and fling you about action packed and intense game I think I've ever played. I just so absorbed into it. Great great game, and what little multiplayer I tried before our 360 crapped out was actually quite fun.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - Barely anything was changed, not much was added and honestly gameplay wise it was almost the exact same game as 10 years ago, but the rewritten script and a few extra bells and whistles, plus it's portableness, all made for an awesome experience.

5. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Not as much fun as the older games (2 & 3 in particular) but still at the high end of what I expect out of a game. The rather short nature of it and cliff hanger ending left a sour taste but overall still a great game.

6. Stuntman: Ignition - May not have appealed to many, but some of the balls to the walls driving sequences were better than anything else in most games. The replayability to perfect your score and 'run' had a Tony Hawk feel to it, and with the added multiplayer and creation modes it was just great. Unfortunate not many people gave it a chance.

7. Rock Band - Having only had it for a week (and only access to the mic, guitar and bass portions) I have to say I'm quite pleased. This is the true successor to Guitar Hero II. A tremendous game that I'm sure I'll get more out of the further we delve into it. A great soundtrack with plenty of difficulty for my not so nimble fingers is just awesome.

8. Kane & Lynch - Many found it average, and tonnes more who didn't even play it butchered it, but in general I found it to be a competantly made and fun third person shooter. It was great for a weekend with my girlfriend and we both got quite a bit out of the multiplayer until retards took over. Yes, it could have been so much better than it was, but I had fun with it if only for the co-op. That said, I would have probably disliked it if I played it solo.

Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect were both extremely disappointing, particularly the former, almost to the point I didn't even really have much fun and I only got a couple of hours into the latter before giving up. Other stuff released this year like Trauma Center: New Blood and Crackdown were fun but I wouldn't really count them, same goes for other stuff. And I've come to be indifferent toward Halo 3, but I doubt I would list it as one of the best this year personally.

I still haven't even remotely tackled a lot of stuff we have like Metroid Prime 3, Uncharted and a even God of War II. I'm sure two of the three would flesh out my "top ten", even the inclusion of the PSP Ratchet & Clank once I have time to get around to it.

All in all 2007 had plenty of "big name" games and a lot of hype surrounding tonnes of stuff by I generally was unimpressed. A lot of the stuff that was truly great was just extensions of previous ideas (every game on my list barring Warhawk really).

I look forward more to 2008 with Smash Bros., GTA IV, Saints Row 2, Mercenaries 2, LittleBigPlanet and even Metal Gear Solid 4.

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

2. Assassin's Creed

3. Stuntman: Ignition

4. Crackdown

5. skate.

6. Saints Row - It's doesn't say when it came out here but i assume it was past the deadline.

7. DiRT

8. Halo 3

9. NBA Live 08

10. NHL 08

Thats my list, I think it shows how many Sports Games i play.

Pretty much the only games i've played, in favorite order

1. Rock Band

2. Halo 3

3. Call of Duty 4

4. Assassin's Creed

5. Guitar Hero III

6. Prince of Persia: Rival Swords

7. Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess

8. Wii Sports

9. Far Cry: Vengeance

10. Skate (I've only played the demo, but it really impressed me)

Edited by Shorty