McLeish resigns as Scotland boss

Liam

Indeed, but McAllister has only had a spell in charge of Coventry. I'm certainly not expecting any European Cup winnering managers to come knocking, but someone who has managed a high level team for a few seasons and had some success would be what I'd be looking for. And going by our past successes and failures, preferably Scottish.

Former Scotland manager Alex McLeish admitted the lure of the Premier League was too strong to turn down after he was named Birmingham City's new boss.

The 48-year-old succeeds Steve Bruce at St Andrew's on a three-and-a-half year contract, and said: "I absolutely loved my time as coach of the national team.

"But it rekindled my passion of being able to work with players every day.

"I have always harboured a desire to manage in the Premier League and I am really excited about the challenge."

All 100% confirmed now - Plus Jewell has been named Derby boss.

It's easy to see why McLeish left for Birmingham. He's done arguably all he can in Scotland club football, and wants to manage in the Premiership - his reputation is at an all-time high, and if he can get Birmingham playing well then they'll be fine. It's a big if I realise, but they're not quite down and out with no hope of survival.

With the players he had for Scotland it was amazing that he got them that close, so they overcheived to a certain extent. If he stayed and managed them for the WC qualifiers, and didn't do as well, his stock will drop and may not even be offered a Premiership job then.

The SFA can't offer the same kind of money that the Premiership can.

It is almost a year until Scotland have another competitive game and, for any manager, let alone a relatively young one who's stock is high, it would be almost unbearable spending a year watching players and not doing any coaching.

The problem with giving the jobs to the likes of Davies or McAllister (or Levein or John Collins) is that they could do well and, if they do, then they'll no doubt be tempted to leave for a better job with more money.

I don't think that Souness would be that bad of an appointment, if we don't manage to attract Mourinho, Capello or Sir Alex Ferguson.

I've also heard people mention Steve Clarke from Chelsea as an outside candidate, but he's bound to be on funny money.

The SFA can't offer the same kind of money that the Premiership can.

It is almost a year until Scotland have another competitive game and, for any manager, let alone a relatively young one who's stock is high, it would be almost unbearable spending a year watching players and not doing any coaching.

The problem with giving the jobs to the likes of Davies or McAllister (or Levein or John Collins) is that they could do well and, if they do, then they'll no doubt be tempted to leave for a better job with more money.

I don't think that Souness would be that bad of an appointment, if we don't manage to attract Mourinho, Capello or Sir Alex Ferguson.

I've also heard people mention Steve Clarke from Chelsea as an outside candidate, but he's bound to be on funny money.

Levein would be perfect. To be fair, Scotland is overflowing with good managers so whoever we decide on, it'll be a good one. I'd support a McAllister coaching role with someone like Billy Davies (who gets less credit than he deserves).

Ian McCall, Stuart McCall and Colin Hendry (who are managers at the moment in their own right) might want to step up or be part of the managerial team. Craig Brewster too, as long as it's it not as player/manager... (¬_¬)

I'd like to see the SFA think outside the box and maybe look at Steve Nicol who is currently ripping it up in the MLS. Nicol himself is a fucking legend and he's been one of the best coaches in the MLS for years now and I'm pretty sure they just lost to Houston in the grand final thing. Houston have a Scot manager as well (Kinnear) but I doubt he knows more about Scottish football than my arse since he's been gone for so long. Maybe even look at Lawrie McKinna who's been good in Australia.

And just before Thomas gets here: DUNCAN FERGUSON FOR SCOTLAND MANAGER~!

Arena keen on Scotland job

December 10, 2007

Special to PA SportsTicker

Former United States boss Bruce Arena has also revealed his interest in becoming Scotland's new manager.

The 56-year-old American led the US national team from 1998 to 2006, and then embarked on a spell in charge of the New York Red Bulls before leaving that job last month.

Arena apparently is keen to move to Britain.

"I would definitely be very interested in the Scotland vacancy," Arena told the Sun. "I will be speaking to my agents this week about getting in touch with the SFA and letting them know I am keen.

"I believe an American could be a success on the other side of thr Atlantic."

Scotland's previous manager Alex McLeish resigned last month to take charge of English Premier League side Birmingham.