American Gladiators

Krone

Although this is completely pussified compared with the English version, it's pretty entertaining. And for those of you saying it won't last, it's already been picked up for a second season.

I remember the UK Glads tending to have specialties, rather than just sucking across the board, maybe it'll become more apparent with more events. By the way, this incarnation needs more events. It also needs less brutal injuries on Powerball. I mean yeah, it's funny in a sadistic kind of way, but the event's pretty useless when you get like 2-2 scorelines. And Hang Tough sucks ass. Our version was about double the length and actually required a bit of skill on the contenders' part.

Also, the Eliminator is a fucking cakewalk compared to the UK version. Our contenders never had a rope on the travelator, and their travelator was a lot steeper too. And what's the point in the barrel roll bit? Seeing as there's no penalty for it, you may as well just fall straight off and run on to the next bit. Same goes for the handbike. In our version they used to have to go back/take a time penalty if the failed a section. I like the dramatic inclusion of fire though, I nearly pissed myself when that idiot marine chick swam into the bar and busted her face open.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured i would post this in here, since it's relevant.

Sky One is to bring back Saturday night favourite Gladiators hot on the heels of a successful relaunch in the US.

The digital satellite channel will take over Gladiators broadcasting duties from ITV, where the series was a hit for most of the 1990s.

Elisabeth Murdoch's independent production company Shine will produce the show, which will be given a "21st century makeover" and will include "much more exciting and dangerous" contests.

Gladiators is due to return to its traditional Saturday prime time slot later this year.

According to today's Sun, ex-footballer Ian Wright is being lined up to host the new UK version.

The original ITV show's Scottish referee and voiceover man, John Anderson, whose catchphrase was "Gladiators, ready!", is also in talks to return, the paper added.

Shine is in the final stages of buying US production company Reveille, which makes the revamped US version, American Gladiators, for NBC.

Members of the public will once again be challenged to battle a new team of 12 gladiators, who are currently being recruited. Auditions for contestants will begin next month.

Gladiators became a mainstay of the ITV Saturday night schedule when it launched in 1992, regularly pulling in 12 million viewers.

Hosted by Ulrika Jonsson and John Fashanu from Birmingham's NEC, the show's team of gladiators including Wolf and Hunter became household names.

The show went on to spawn a string of money-spinning live shows and merchandising.

However, the show was eventually axed in 2000 after a revamp, which saw former England rugby star Jeremy Guscott replace Fashanu, failed to halt sliding ratings.

The success of the new US version prompted the Sky One controller, Richard Woolfe, to bring back the format.

The US version was originally intended to fill gaps in the schedule left by the ongoing writers' strike, but has been so successful that a second series has been commisisoned.

Woolfe told the Sun: "Just like the revival of Take That and the Spice Girls, the return of this David-and-Goliath contest will be unmissable."

I'm actually enjoying this, although I don't have a contender that I'd want to win - none of them look like they could be a Gladiator for season 2. And the handbike/barrel roll thing is getting on my nerves, they're blatantly falling off deliberately to save time.

Oh, and instead of all the cheesy trash talk/pump-up interviews, they should just show Crush, doing...anything.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0