Belief In Vocals

Benji

Listening to Gavin DeGraw I've realised how few vocalists there are that really make you imagine and feel what they're singing about, you can have all the technical talent in the world, but a really good vocalist makes you understand the pain, pleasure, imagery and everything inbetween of their lyrics, so this is the question, which artists do you find actually give you that mental chill down your spine when you hear them? For me to choose three I'd go with Gavin himself and second would be Chris Cornell. If I had to choose a top three, it'd be capped off by Tom DeLonge, while his technical skills aren't amazing, it's his pure passion in his vocals that make me love him, "Secret Crowds" really highlighted that more than ever for me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably have to go with Johnny Cash and Townes Van Zandt. There have been songs by both that have literally moved me to tears.

I've been sitting at this topic for a good 5 minutes trying to think of reasons why Trent Reznor should be put down as my #1 vote. The only way I can justifiably do that is this: just listen to the "Still" album. The way his voice cracks in certain songs just shows you how much pain he's in by that time in his life ("Still" was released around Trent's peak period of drug abuse). His lyrics always reflect his pain and suffering, but this bare bones live album is just heartbreaking, especially with the dark, moody instrumentals.

The only other person I can think of that conveys their pain through the lyrics and into the actual vocals better is Otep Shamaya.

Fuck you, I was coming in here to big up the Weakerthans :@

Ben Gibbard from Death Cab For Cutie too.

It may be the slow bands that I see it more, although anyone who couldn't hear Jesse Leach putting his all into early KSE is clearly deaf, but I guess the slow bands help pain the imagery a bit better?

Amy Lee is one of the most overrated human beings on this planet.

That's the only reason most people like her. If it was all the same song writing talent, but she was a giant whale like ugly bint, then no one could give two flying fucks.

See Beth Ditto. :shifty:

I'd have to put down Cornell, especially his Soundgarden stuff. But also Brent Smith from Shinedown, fucking hell, his performances on songs like Burning Bright and Simple Man are insanely awesome. Layne Staley from Alice In Chains is another one, Dallas Green from Alexisonfire, Wes Scantlin from Puddle Of Mudd, and honourable mentions go to the dude from Trapt and Scott Stevens from The Exies, and Scott Weiland on STP's Plush, Velvet Revolver's Fall To Pieces and Limp Bizkit's Hold On.

Edited by TheModernWay

I second Jesse Leach. One of my favourite screamers.

I would also do Amy Lee. She's a good vocalist, but not half as good as people make out. TheModernWay beat me to the Beth Ditto line too. :@

Also Dallas Green is an overrated cunt.

And am I the only one that thinks Wes Scantlin is just Cobain Version 2?

Edited by Nerf

If we could go one music thread without Myles Kennedy or Amy Lee being mentioned, it would be a glorious and wonderful day.

However, since that likely won't be happening, I'll just have to say that I would go with Matthew Good. When he is singing about a cause that he believes in, I can feel and if he is performing, see the belief in the vocals. That's one of the things that I noticed the most when I saw him live a few months back.