Belief In Vocals

Benji

I echo the Townes love (surprise). There is a great clip from Heartworn Highways of him singing the first song he ever wrote and a pretty hard bitten old man breaking down into tears whilst listening.

That always gets me.

Oh.... Man....

Ok, Townes Van Fucking Zandt wins this thread.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo the Townes love (surprise). There is a great clip from Heartworn Highways of him singing the first song he ever wrote and a pretty hard bitten old man breaking down into tears whilst listening.

That always gets me.

Edited by The Grifter

Guest tiarnantman

Alright, so I ask all of you doubters to please listen to this song, and to never again dispute the fact that Amy Lee puts emotion into her songs. Seriously...

It really is fantastic.

As much as I love Amy Lee, her vocals for the most part usually sound the same, and they don't scream "believe me"...well, actually they do because it always seems like she's trying too hard. There are a few exceptions such as "My Tourniquet" which I love, but for the most part, in wresting terms, she oversells her songs way too much.

I've always been a huge fan of "Handsome" Dick Manitoba of the Dictators. Always entertaining, always bombastic, and his approach was perfect for the sound that the Dictators had.

Arthur Brown was also excellent, especially his "Crazy World of Arthur Brown" album. He could hit his high notes brilliantly adding a real passion to the song. On the other hand he also had a knack for singing in a more ominous prose style which lent itself well to his band's sometimes macabre style.

Definitely agree with Cash's version of Hurt, as I think everybody would.

I think Daryl Palumbo really puts some heart into his vocals (well, in Glassjaw anyway, HA doesn't really call for it as much).

Also, Conor Oberst, and I don't care what anybody else says, he has an emotive voice.

That always gets me.

Oh.... Man....

Ok, Townes Van Fucking Zandt wins this thread.

The kicker is that is the first song he ever wrote. As incredibly powerful as that song and moreover that video is, as time progressed the man just got better and better. I mean Marie is just about the most depressing song ever written, and probably the most personal song he wrote was Katie Bell Blue which he wrote close to the end of his life for his young daughter knowing he probably wouldn't get to see her grow up.

Townes was more a force of nature than a man, more feeling than flesh.

Would you stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in your cowboy boots and say Townes Van Zandt was the best songwriter ever?

I've got Katie Belle, a live version from Together At The Bluebird Cafe.... Such a work of beauty. Tecumsah Valley was the first song of his I had ever heard and I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Incidentally, Steve Earle's song Fort Worth Blues which was about Townes Van Zandt that is one that I'd put down for belief in vocals, pretty much anything about being a badass or being heartbroken when Steve Earle sings about it you can feel the reality of it.

Edited by The Lonesome Hobo

Axl Rose.

Yes. :)

I CANNOT believe Layne Staley has not been mentioned yet. I dare you to listen to him on "Nutshell" or "I Stay Away" and not get goosebumps.

His vocals on the MTV Unplugged version of "Nutshell" are especially haunting: Nutshell (Unplugged) - Alice in Chains

I could've swore I said Staley... or at least was thinking of it hahaha.

The trilogy of Nutshell, Rotten Apple and Rooster are what got me into Alice In Chains... and then of course Man In The Box for the other side of AIC.

EDIT: Just watched that unplugged vid... my god that would've been sweet to be there, along with the Nirvana one. Another great singer dead :(.

Edited by TheModernWay

EDIT: Just watched that unplugged vid... my god that would've been sweet to be there, along with the Nirvana one. Another great singer dead :(.

He was dying during that performance, wasn't he?

No, he died several years later. At the time of Unplugged, he was just a mess due to the heroin abuse.