YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to get my mate to see them at Leeds. They were setting up and he went "Fuck it, I'm off"...went to see Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong...he said Joe Lean were shite and wished he'd stayed. Serves him fucking right.

The current speculation (not sure how accurate) is that the December, Gaslight Anthem dates could potentially be in a support slot. Two names being knocked about are Alkaline Trio and Kings Of Leon. Personally, I'm hoping they're headliners.

Brian said it last night, they're coming back in December, but when I talked to him after the gig, he said they hadn't booked anything yet. Really nice bloke, stayed and talked to everyone for ages.

Set was pretty much the same as the London one posted earlier, and we got about a minute of I'm On Fire somewhere near the end. Great gig, Gaslight were on top form, and Former Cell Mates were pretty good too.

Former Cell Mates are awesome, local too. I actually have my ticket underneath the speakers of my computer...makes me sad to look at it. :(

I've heard they played "...Cowgirls..." last night too.

I also just realised tonight was the night Blakfish and Tubelord are playing up here. I'm skint, and totally forgot about it anyway. SHIT! Both bands are fucking AMAZING! The new Tubelord tune, "I Am Azerrad" is fucking awesome...check them both out;

www.myspace.com/blakfish

http://www.myspace.com/tubelord

Edited by YI

I've been trying to whore out Gaslight Anthem to my "group" for the past 6 or so months now and they've refused to listen to them. I asked them to go see Gaslight with me at Warped, they refused. Then they're in some magazine and now they love them.

Fuck that :angry:

That's how America works. >_>

I'm hoping that they get big among my set of friends by late September, because I will give my left nut to see those guys in Birmingham, even on a Monday after which there's a lot of fucking schoolwork to do on Tuesday.

I've been trying to whore out Gaslight Anthem to my "group" for the past 6 or so months now and they've refused to listen to them. I asked them to go see Gaslight with me at Warped, they refused. Then they're in some magazine and now they love them.

basically my entire life at school. i remember buying linkin park - hybrid theory. loving it. 6 months of "hey listen to this". nothing. then they love them.

pretty much happened with any pop-punk band that came later - sum 41, good charlotte, fall out boy (yes, looking back the list of shitty names in that list is endless.. :unsure:)

and i fucking hate kerrang, especially the tv channel, where its the same 5 bands on a constant loop.

...come to think of it i think i hate all music magazines full stop.

well ive basically tried kerrang, Q, NME, RockSound and tried alternative press when i was in new york and they all annoyed me in the same way radio does.

i just realized that, beyond the actual music, i couldn't give a fuck about any other aspect of the band (new singles, music videos, some pretentious gits 'review' or the fact they nearly died of a OD at 14 and decided to make music to help their single parents).

death cab is an exception

Edited by The Chief

Zero Tolerance and Plan B are a couple of absolutely superb easily available music magazines. Not everything falls into the camps of "YOUTH = GOOD" and obsession with the genre du jour that NME espouses, or the finding any reason to put The Beatles on the front cover of Mojo or Uncut.

Admittedly Zero Tolerance is a niche magazine, although it's raison d'être (extreme metal) isn't as limited as it may first appear, it does often cover ambient, drone, folk and jazz-based formats that have only their roots in metal but sound anything but.

Plan B is just godly amongst music magazines at the moment, though, although it has lacked foundation since Everett True left as editor - it's still very good, but often seems eclectic for the sake of it without being as firmly grounded in C86-styled indie pop and girl bands as it once was - it was always about much more than that, but now it seems a little all over the place without too much rhyme or reason. Any given issue will cover (intelligently and at length) an all-girl indie band, an outrageously heavy doom band, some folk band or other, some electro/dance outfits, and increasingly in-depth coverage of the UK hip-hop scene, pretty much guaranteed. Basically, it's the only music magazine consistently worth reading, and the only one I've ever subscribed to, unlike pretty much any other magazine which I'll only buy on the strength of a couple of especially interesting articles, which are increasingly hard to find.

I'm sure there's other music magazines out there worth reading - Artrocker or Under The Radar might tickle your fancy, although they often seem very knowingly "underground" and "fresh" to me, especially when Under The Radar is often behind the times itself (although worth buying when they do something as fantastic as the Amanda Palmer/Peter Murphy article and accompanying photoshoot a year or so back) and Artrocker will rave about anyone with tight trousers, a haircut and a Wire riff - but from my experience, those are the two worth reading.

i just realized that, beyond the actual music, i couldn't give a fuck about any other aspect of the band (new singles, music videos, some pretentious gits 'review' or the fact they nearly died of a OD at 14 and decided to make music to help their single parents).

Strangely enough, I had a conversation on this topic earlier today, and I tend to make a big fuss about "who gives a fuck about X, Y or Z as long as the music's good?", but looking at how stuffed full of magazines and music books and biographies my ample bookshelves are, I'm as guilty of it as anything. Reviews can, obviously, be incredibly useful in working out whether or not a band is worth listening to (if it's a band I already know and like, then I'll probably not give a toss about the reviews - I don't need to be told to like what I like), especially if you know the tastes of a specific writer (which, admittedly, is difficult to ascertain when many writers are tied down to a "house style" in most music magazines). And as for caring about the person behind the music - like I said, I like to think it doesn't matter, and ultimately it doesn't, but sometimes, as in the Riot Grrrl movement in the '80s and '90s, and aspects of punk and whatnot, the artist is more important than the art - and on top of that, if I'm feverishly interested in a specific artist's output (Tom Waits or Nick Cave, for a personal example) then I'm going to take an interest in their life outside of music - not to the extent of celebrity worship, gossip columns and Hello Magazine style family photos, but I'd like to know what makes them tick, know a little something about the man behind the music - like, knowing that Nick Cave was front row at a Chico concert with his kids, for example, or knowing little tidbits, stories and anecdotes about Tom Waits, it doesn't hurt.

That's how America works. >_>

I'm hoping that they get big among my set of friends by late September, because I will give my left nut to see those guys in Birmingham, even on a Monday after which there's a lot of fucking schoolwork to do on Tuesday.

Yeah, I want to go see them in Chapel Hill in September, but it's on a school day and nobody wants to go. They're playing at the 506, which is an awesome venue. I'm going to convince my friend that goes to school there to at least attend the show in my honor since I can't go. He'd probably enjoy them.

The Gaslight Anthem hype train continues with an apparent Zane Lowe pimping.

Also, in what could be one of the weirdest line-ups ever, for Pendulum's December tour, they are being supported by INME!

So many fucking great gigs coming up. I can't wait until I get my student loan/hopefully start working again. :shifty:

I also maintain that Bennett Wales, aka. Rain Over Battle is going to be the next big thing in punk-rock. Especially now Rain Over Battle has a full band setup. The new tunes on their myspace are fucking awesome. "Savage" especially, even if the chorus sounds like Auld Lang Syne.

The new FFAF song on their myspace, "You Can't See The Forest For The Wolves" is actually FUCKING GOOD! That now makes 2 good songs from the 4/5 that have been released for public consumption (The other being "Beneath The Burning Tree")

Edited by YI