2008 Oscar Nominations

reyrey619

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday:

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

I think Denzel and Crowe got shafted for best actor and supporting actor noms. I haven't seen In The Valley of Elah or Michael Clayton yet, so I can't really say Denzel should be nominated over them, but Tommy Lee Jones getting nominated over him is kind of a surprise. Crowe should have been nominated for supporting actor, but realistically no one will beat Bardem for it.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy with the noms. I don't think Juno is a top 5 movie of the year, but I am glad it was nominated, and that Ellen Page was also nominated.

Not that Juno is a bad movie, but the Academy is getting fucking retarded with their little token indie nod for best picture. Juno is this year's Little Miss Sunshine - cute movie, everyone likes it, but one of the top five of the year? To nominate that over something like AMERICAN FUCKING GANGSTER? Complete idiocy.

I don't get the love for Michael Clayton either. I'd have rather seen Sweeney Todd get the nom over it.

Not that Juno is a bad movie, but the Academy is getting fucking retarded with their little token indie nod for best picture. Juno is this year's Little Miss Sunshine - cute movie, everyone likes it, but one of the top five of the year? To nominate that over something like AMERICAN FUCKING GANGSTER? Complete idiocy.

... no, it was better than American Gangster, which was great but overlong and Denzel's performance was good but just another Denzel Washington performance.

The real crimes here are Zodiac being nominated for NOTHING and Josh Brolin getting screwed over. And really, Ellen Page being the only cast member of Juno nominated when Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, and J.K. Simmons all turned in better performances.

EDIT: And I've heard great things about Enchanted and all, but how do you NOT nominate even one song from Juno? Of course, I'm slightly biased because I used to know Kimya Dawson, but still. A single movie monopolizing the Best Song category drives me insane.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

It's all a matter of opinion I suppose. Juno served it's purpose as this year's cute, quirky indie comedy, but there's no way in hell it's a better film than American Gangster. Although now that I think about it, I'm actually more upset that Michael Clayton got the nod because that movie bored the piss out of me.

It doesn't really matter in the end, because There Will Be Blood was the best film of the year and of this decade, and should win, but I'd have still liked to see American Gangster and Sweeney Todd get nominated.

Are any of the Juno songs written for the film though? I thought it was a compilation of tracks used in it.

EDIT:

It's all a matter of opinion I suppose. Juno served it's purpose as this year's cute, quirky indie comedy, but there's no way in hell it's a better film than American Gangster.
Edited by GoodGodWhatABeatnik

Are any of the Juno songs written for the film though? I thought it was a compilation of tracks used in it.

Ah, point. I think it was pretty much all pre-existing tracks.

I can understand why Sweeney Todd only got two noms. Why one of them wasn't Best Picture will take some explaining, but HBC, for all that I love her, wasn't 'best actress' material in it, and none of the supporting cast were really all that spectacular (except Sascha Baron Cohen, but Javier Bardam has that in the bag so I'm not too worried). It was basically a "look at me, I'm Johnny Depp and I can do absolutely anything and be absolutely fantastic" type of thing going on.

There's just wasn't a tremendous amount of actual 'acting' in it, being a musical 'n' all, for the supporting actors to get a look in.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I don't see why a cute, quirky comedy can't be best picture. Hell, up until Little Miss Sunshine, being a comedy (no matter how good) would pretty much disqualify you from Best Picture noms. It's a great movie, loved by critics and movie-goers alike, why not give it a nod? I also really like seeing Ratatouille get nominated for best screenplay even though it's animated; I'm pretty sure it's happened in the past, but it was the best reviewed movie of the year, I'm glad it's not being pushed aside just because it's a cartoon.

I also really like seeing Ratatouille get nominated for best screenplay even though it's animated; I'm pretty sure it's happened in the past, but it was the best reviewed movie of the year, I'm glad it's not being pushed aside just because it's a cartoon.

Probably one of the weakest Oscars in a while, I don't even think I'll slog through the show this year.

To be fair, there's no way this year's results can suck as much as the "Return of the King wins everything" year's did. That was the most painful awards show I have ever watched.

I don't get all of the Juno love, so it's nomination ahead of other films somewhat bemuses me, but American Gangster!? It was two hours of shit we've seen before produced by two excellent actors playing roles they've played before.

I love Juno and glad it got nominated for a bunch of awards. The lack of anything Zodiac pisses me off though. I thought for sure maybe a Best Cinematography at least. I don't know how you can think it's the weakest Oscars though as there's no real "it's going to win everything" movie. I'd say No Country and There Will Be Blood have an equal chance and maybe Juno will get the surprise win, which I would love. And Ellen Page deserved a Oscar for Hard Candy let's hope they give it to her for Juno.

I think the double Blanchett nods are rather ridiculous, mainly the Elizabeth one because no one gave a crap about that movie.

As for Juno, I think an indie representative should be in it every year if only to off-set the "awards bait" crap, never mind that the indie movie is great. In fact, as GoGo mentioned, I think they severely underserved the noms for Juno. That said, Page got lucky that the year was crap for leads, because while she did give a winning performance, Garner and the rest of the cast impressed me moreso and it's just more of a case where there was so many great supporting performances that it's hard to fit everyone in. I still must see No Country and There Will Be Blood because I'm sure those will both sway me into them being the best of last year and worthy of best picture, though.

To be honest, I thought that Juno was vastly overrated. I definitely liked the characters but I don't know, it just didn't live up to the hype and got progressively unfunny as it went on. JK Simmons was amazing though.

And after seeing The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I can see why Casey Affleck was nominated for the Best Supporting Role but I felt that it's a shame that Brad Pitt couldn't get nominate for Best Actor because I felt he did a really good job in it. It's a fairly long movie but I was engaged the entire time and I think that the cinematography was a huge factor as well because it was amazing, as was the direction. I'd probably argue that, at least personally, it should be a Best Picture nominee instead of Michael Clayton.

Edited by Livid