LOST Discussion ***SPOILERS***

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the whole Locke death thing, well some people argue it is for a greater purpose. Interesting enough he used the alias Jeremy Bentham, a Utilitarian, and leading figure on Utilitarianism which is an ethical theory - The greatest happiness / good for the greater number of people. Which kind of hints that he did die for a greater cause of some sort.

I can remember noticing before, a few of the names reference other "famous" or significant people that bear something in common with the character. Some small things. The only examples I can thing of is that there was a philosopher by the name John Locke, and Michael Faraday (same second name as Daniel Faraday) was a chemist/physicist. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more similarities like that.

http://en.lostpedia.com/wiki/Literary_works

Jouch is correct. Yeah, Lostpedia is awesome.

Also, Miles has to have the best name.

Miles Straume = Maelstrom

Love that word

Edited by PkmnTrainerJ

So if you're wanting something to tide you over until Lost returns, the latest ARG started today at Comic-Con. People went in to a DHARMA both and were shown a series of images and asked questions and will be told whether they passed tomorrow. You are apparently assigned one of three jobs during the start of the ARG.

People who didn't go to Comic-Con can use the site - Octagon Global Recruiting to register their interest. Also used will be DHARMA wants you which so far is just an image with a series of dots which people have already worked out make up the DHARMA logo.

Lost showrunner Damon Lindelof has revealed that he is planning to confuse viewers further in season five.

Speaking at the Comic-Con convention in San Diego, Lindelof claimed that fans will feel disorientated during the season's opening scenes.

He explained: "When season five starts, you won't know when or where you are. And the way we tell stories will be different too."

Meanwhile, his fellow executive producer Carlton Cuse admitted that he is grateful to finally have an end date for Lost. The show will be completed with a sixth season in 2010.

"For us it was a huge advantage to get an end date to the show and that really allowed us to turn a corner," he said. "We knew exactly how much story we had left. It really invigorated series four and it's been very exciting as we plan series five now.

This version misses out an amusing quote:

When season five starts, you won't know when or where you are. And the way we tell stories will be different too.

Also we have the guy who makes the whooshing sound for us and we would not want to put him out of work.

Sounds good to me, in general. I grew really tired of the flash-forwards and they took away from some of the enjoyment towards the end of the series as we knew we were building towards certain things that we knew had to happen. The finale itself was fantastic, but I didn't like feeling like Lost was 'going through the motions' and telling parts of the story that had already been revealed.

The flashbacks and flashforwards have potentially run their course, but it'll be vital that they replace them with something that's interesting and that they can provide some of the structure that the flashbacks were useful for. I'm guessing they'll still broadly have each episode focused towards one character, which'll help.

Edited by -A-

The flashbacks and flashforwards have potentially run their course,

Umm, they still have roughly 3 years of stories to tell from when the O6 left the island to point of Locke's death. Plenty of stories to tell. Honestly, if the numbers stay good, I wouldn't be shocked to see the show extend beyond 2010.

Umm, I didn't say they didn't have enough story, I said that they were getting boring. The flashforwards were put into place because they wanted to have a real 'WTF' moment for the end of series 3 and because the flashbacks were getting silly. The fact that there's still story to tell (which there always will be, that's meaningless) is irrelevant to how they choose to tell the story.

The flashbacks and flashforwards have potentially run their course,

Umm, they still have roughly 3 years of stories to tell from when the O6 left the island to point of Locke's death. Plenty of stories to tell. Honestly, if the numbers stay good, I wouldn't be shocked to see the show extend beyond 2010.

Except for the fact they've ALWAYS had an end of the show in mind and will be building towards it at a specific ratio for the last two seasons now they've officially greenlighted it as six.

And as for being done away with flashes back and forward, I believe they mean in a traditional sense, there might be episodes that are no flashbacks at all, there might be an entire episodes worth of them, they could tell two stories in separate times that seem like it's all in one single time etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if this is actually a spoiler or not..but just to be on the safe side

Two new "dangerous" characters will reportedly make their debuts in the fifth season of Lost.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Caesar and Ilanna will be recurring figures throughout the year, although no casting details have emerged so far.

Caesar is reported to be a "dangerous, physical and extremely intelligent male between the ages of 35 and 45" with an ability to charm people. "Alluring" European Ilanna is a decade younger and "possesses great intelligence, but [is] also dangerous".

Filming on the new season of Lost will begin on August 19, with broadcast currently slated for early February 2009.

Credit - Digitalspy.

So episode one of season five is apparently titled.

It's called "Because You Left"

Thoughts:

I guess that's just based off Mr. Bentham's words to Jack in TTLG, that everything got worse after he left and it was his fault.

Possibly nothing, but i read an article somewhere about a man named jeremy bentham (in the real world), who when he died said he wanted to become some sort of wax figure.

thought it was weird since locked looked quite waxy in that last scene.

edit> wiki link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham

As requested in his will, his body was preserved and stored in a wooden cabinet, termed his "Auto-icon". Originally kept by his disciple Dr. Southwood Smith,[12] it was acquired by University College London in 1850. The Auto-icon is kept on public display at the end of the South Cloisters in the main building of the College. For the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the college, the Auto-icon was brought to the meeting of the College Council, where he was listed as "present but not voting".[13] Tradition holds that if the council's vote on any motion is tied, the auto-icon always breaks the tie by voting in favour of the motion.

The Auto-icon has always had a wax head, as Bentham's head was badly damaged in the preservation process. The real head was displayed in the same case for many years, but became the target of repeated student pranks including being stolen on more than one occasion. It is now locked away securely.

There is a plaque on Queen Anne's Gate, Westminster commemorating the house where Bentham lived, which at the time was called Queen's Square Place.

Edited by The Chief

• 2 weeks later...

Character spoiler

Michelle Rodriguez will reprise her role as Ana Lucia during Lost's fifth season, according to reports.

According to Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello, sources have confirmed that Rodriguez will return, most probably via flashback or hallucination in the next season's second episode. It is believed that the appearance will be a one-off.

Rodriguez departed Lost towards the end of the second season when Ana Lucia was shot dead. However, numerous characters have returned to the show posthumously, including Libby, Boon and Shannon, all of whom were killed on the island.

Edited by Ringys LAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Character spoiler

Michelle Rodriguez will reprise her role as Ana Lucia during Lost's fifth season, according to reports.

According to Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello, sources have confirmed that Rodriguez will return, most probably via flashback or hallucination in the next season's second episode. It is believed that the appearance will be a one-off.

Rodriguez departed Lost towards the end of the second season when Ana Lucia was shot dead. However, numerous characters have returned to the show posthumously, including Libby, Boon and Shannon, all of whom were killed on the island.

Awesome! I always thought she got rid of Ana-Lucia too soon, even if she did get into that drunk-driving thing. Will be good to see her pop up again :)