The Anime Thread

Ruki

Probably going to drop SAO. Bummer, because I really liked the premise and it was the only current anime I could be assed to keep up with - but it just seems like such a go-nowhere show right now. Like I said before, it seems like they're trying to cram entire manga plots into one or two episodes, and there's barely any cohesion or sense of story.

Manga/possible show direction spoilers:

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if they rushed through so many plots from the manga that before the season's even to the midway point, they've moved on to the next MMO (Gun Gale Online I think?).

I may start in on Accel World. Seems like a similar concept to SAO, made by the same guy, and it seems like people like it a lot more.

Accel World is far from perfect, and it's not made by the same guy in the anime sense. There are very few parallels between the shows. But it's a lot of fun minus the annoying 10 minute conversation in the middle of battle trope that this show uses to an incredible level.

Getting my series finale watched in a few hours.

I think what Cloudy means is that Accel World and SAO were light novels by the same author.

I'll have to agree with you that SAO isn't as cool as I thought it would be. Oh well. Fortunantly, in a bit we're going to get Robotics;Notes, and if that's half as good as Steins;Gate, we'll be in for a ride.

They've spent so much money on SAO, J-List's Facebook constantly advertises stuff from it since I'm sure everyone was expecting it to be a massive hit and it just hasn't been.

Oh and Ruki, on the topic of series that did not disappoint and so have a ton of merchandise that sells, you done Madoka yet?

Kingdom is currently airing and I actually asked around and read up on it since it looked intriguing. I was advised to stay away. So I'm going to advise the same to you. Deadman Wonderland however has better reviews, I haven't looked into it, but at 12 episodes there's really nothing to lose outside of 5 hours of your life.

Before we get into the recommendations, when did you last watch anime and what genre(s) do you like the most?

Also, Accel World finale!

It was what it was, a typical anime finale. Nothing earth-shattering and still a lot of loose ends that hopefully we be answered in a video game or, even better, second season. All in all the series was above average, but had points where it was wallowing in mediocrity. I would think a lot of less of this series if it weren't for the exciting arc with Nomi to end the whole thing. I wish it had ended a little better, they really drew it out. How many on-the-battlefield conversations are we going to get?! But all in all I'm glad I watched it and if there's a second season I'll jump right into it. 6.5/10

Yeah you can tell from websites you go to that Sword Art Online is the seasons big hope and it's not bad, it just doesn't follow a linear sequence like it should and tries to fit more in than it can. Arcs could have been dropped if they aren't going to affect the series later on, now that the series seems to be going in one direction it is better but they've pretty much gone and removed the enjoyable fighting - so we'll see how the next episodes go.

Accel World was a typical 'seems better because it ended well' series, I kind of forget that the first half probably wasn't as enjoyable but the whole part with Nomi has been very enjoyable and well done. They've just release a game in Japan but hopefully that doesn't deter from the possibility of another series as we want to explore Rust Jigsaw a bit more and the other kings who weren't introduced. The real heart of the story are the Kings and the battle for territory and I'd like them to come back and explore that a bit more and in depth.

Also if you're trying to get back into anime then I recommend Steins;Gate and Tiger & Bunny. I recommend them for everything though. :shifty:

Accel World Finale:

I enjoyed watching Nomi squirm like a worm. That's what that little bastard gets.

Anyway, it was what it was, the final battle could've been drawn out a little more, but that was fine.

damshow, you do know this is a light novel series and this is just one arc, right? :shifty:

Oh, apparently SAO and Accel World take place in the same universe. The helmet they use in SAO leads to the development of the chips used in Accel World, so that's kind of some cool continuity.

And from my personal preferences to get you back into anime, Death Note.

Kingdom is currently airing and I actually asked around and read up on it since it looked intriguing. I was advised to stay away. So I'm going to advise the same to you. Deadman Wonderland however has better reviews, I haven't looked into it, but at 12 episodes there's really nothing to lose outside of 5 hours of your life.

Before we get into the recommendations, when did you last watch anime and what genre(s) do you like the most?

Also, Accel World finale!

It was what it was, a typical anime finale. Nothing earth-shattering and still a lot of loose ends that hopefully we be answered in a video game or, even better, second season. All in all the series was above average, but had points where it was wallowing in mediocrity. I would think a lot of less of this series if it weren't for the exciting arc with Nomi to end the whole thing. I wish it had ended a little better, they really drew it out. How many on-the-battlefield conversations are we going to get?! But all in all I'm glad I watched it and if there's a second season I'll jump right into it. 6.5/10

Kingdom isn't bad. The only thing that really annoys the crap out of me is the animation. It feels like their trying to force all of these crazy 3-D angles and such. I'm on Episode 6 though but I enjoy the shit out of early Chinese history so the backdrop pretty much has me hooked. Deadman Wonderland is great though. I'm on Episode 6 of that as well. Shit is fuck up as all hell but it's enjoyable.

As for generes, I'm enjoy giant robot stuff the most but I'm pretty open to anything really . The last thing I was seriously following was The World God Only Knows, which was on sometime in 2010 I think.

Yeah you can tell from websites you go to that Sword Art Online is the seasons big hope and it's not bad, it just doesn't follow a linear sequence like it should and tries to fit more in than it can. Arcs could have been dropped if they aren't going to affect the series later on, now that the series seems to be going in one direction it is better but they've pretty much gone and removed the enjoyable fighting - so we'll see how the next episodes go.

Accel World was a typical 'seems better because it ended well' series, I kind of forget that the first half probably wasn't as enjoyable but the whole part with Nomi has been very enjoyable and well done. They've just release a game in Japan but hopefully that doesn't deter from the possibility of another series as we want to explore Rust Jigsaw a bit more and the other kings who weren't introduced. The real heart of the story are the Kings and the battle for territory and I'd like them to come back and explore that a bit more and in depth.

Also if you're trying to get back into anime then I recommend Steins;Gate and Tiger & Bunny. I recommend them for everything though. :shifty:

I'll look into those. I've heard of Steins;Gate but not Tiger & Bunny.

Accel World Finale:

I enjoyed watching Nomi squirm like a worm. That's what that little bastard gets.

Anyway, it was what it was, the final battle could've been drawn out a little more, but that was fine.

damshow, you do know this is a light novel series and this is just one arc, right? :shifty:

Oh, apparently SAO and Accel World take place in the same universe. The helmet they use in SAO leads to the development of the chips used in Accel World, so that's kind of some cool continuity.

I've seen Death Note. Liked it, didn't love it.

Accel World Finale:

Yes, I'm aware it's a light novel series. But I'd like them to flesh out the other arcs in the video game or in a future season since, last I checked, they weren't fully translated.