Black and White films

brenchill

Not at all. Quite the opposite.

I would love to watch more old films, but it's like saying "I would love to listen to more classical music" - I have no idea how to go searching for the type of stuff I'd like.

I watched '12 Angry Men' just the other night. It was brilliance, as usual.

To summarise: your friend is lame.

Edited by stokeriño

I think at the moment the black and white films I actually own on DVD is limited to...six. And three of them are in the Jimmy Stewart Collection. ¬_¬

That would be:

It's A Wonderful Life

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Harvey

12 Angry Men

Dr. Strangelove

Good Night And Good Luck.

I always end up watching random ones in BBC2 matinees or whatever, but never know/remember what they're called...

Clearly I need to pick up some of those 1940s films that always end with Spitfires flying overhead and a rousing chorus of God Save The King, no matter what the film is actually about. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Not at all, in fact I'm dissapointed more modern films don't use it to a better effect, probably not the best example in the world, but Clerks I found I didn't think would be as good in colour, I found the black and white really suited the way the film was meant to promote the 'mundane' every day life of Randal and Dante. Smith has said he'd go back and do it in colour if he had the money, but I prefer it the way it is.

I love a good black and white movie and enjoy watching mid afternoon films on my day off or at the weekend, most of which are made back in ye olde black and white days.

As far as my collection goes, it's limited. Dunno why but it is. All I've got are:

12 Angry Men

Seven Samurai

Schindler's List (if you disregard the one colourful "part")

Dr. Strangelove

Carry On Nurse

I guess I need more :P

I rarely find it "boring" if its black and white, some of my favourite films are in black and white - either because of their age (Nosferatu, The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari) or just an aesthetic choice on the part of the director (Ed Wood, Down By Law) - the things that make a lot of older films tricky to watch for me is that the audio can be very dodgy, and coupled with a more theatrical acting style in the early days of Hollywood, it can make the dialogue seem very un-natural and forced, which can take away from my enjoyment of the picture.

I enjoy Black and White films as much as Color films. You don't need color to make a movie become lively, it just takes a talented actor and interesting story. Chaplin didn't need color to promote his incredible humor. In fact, I watch modern movies in black and white when I'm in my room cause the wiring I have set-up for the DVD player seems to be busted and doesn't show color. I find movies don't lose anything at all whether they are in color or black and white.

The single issue I have with black and white films, and this is only an occasional issue. is that sometimes it's hard to tell what's going on if the scene is too busy and too dark or light. The best example I can think of is the scenes in Seven Samurai, where the young guy and girl are in the flowery forest area. It's all so bright, and there's so much moving stuff, that it's hard to tell where the people are among all the flowers and branches and such.

How about some silent films love?

The General with Buster Keaton?

Safety Last with Harold Lloyd?

The Kid/Gold Rush and just about any other movie with Charlie Chaplin?

Comedic geniuses.

I rarely find it "boring" if its black and white, some of my favourite films are in black and white - either because of their age (Nosferatu, The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari) or just an aesthetic choice on the part of the director (Ed Wood, Down By Law) - the things that make a lot of older films tricky to watch for me is that the audio can be very dodgy, and coupled with a more theatrical acting style in the early days of Hollywood, it can make the dialogue seem very un-natural and forced, which can take away from my enjoyment of the picture.

Agreed. The dreaded soft lense and mega-lighting during a close-up of 'the woman he loved' can also get annoying.

Have your friend watch Citizen Kane. The cinematography is so good in that movie that you forget it's in black and white.

I think only real film fans enjoy Citizen Kane. Orson Welles was atleast fifty years ahead of everybody else with his direction and storytelling methods.

Edited by GhostMachine

Have your friend watch Citizen Kane. The cinematography is so good in that movie that you forget it's in black and white.

I think only real film fans enjoy Citizen Kane. Orson Welles was atleast fifty years ahead of everybody else with his direction and storytelling methods.

Mmm pretentious film comments.